Seabird-eating 'monster' crabs are chatty during sex

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Coconut crabs, Earth's biggest land crabs, are internet famous from images in which they dwarf trash bins and tear birds limb from limb.

But when these crabs aren't devouring seabirds, they're chatting to each other in vibrating clicks, and scientists recently discovered that the crabs' weird clicking calls are unexpectedly diverse.

In fact, their crabby chatter contains a range of signals that could represent complex levels of communication (for a crab, at least), according to a new study.

gary_webb

Damned glad to meet you
Coconut crabs, Earth's biggest land crabs, are internet famous from images in which they dwarf trash bins and tear birds limb from limb.

But when these crabs aren't devouring seabirds, they're chatting to each other in vibrating clicks, and scientists recently discovered that the crabs' weird clicking calls are unexpectedly diverse.

In fact, their crabby chatter contains a range of signals that could represent complex levels of communication (for a crab, at least), according to a new study.

This reminded me of an old girl friend. She told me I was too distracting because of all the clicking noises, and to call her after I had hip replacement. I told her, well your jaw doesn't click does it?

F her!