SEAL student death ruled a homicide after instructor repeatedly dunked sailor

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
SEAL student death ruled a homicide after instructor repeatedly dunked sailor

A Navy SEAL trainee drowned after an instructor repeatedly dunked him underwater, violating training guidelines and contributing to the sailor’s death, according to a San Diego medical examiner's report released Wednesday that called the incident a homicide.

Seaman James Derek Lovelace died May 6 following a pool exercise at the grueling SEAL basic training course in Coronado. The Navy didn't announce the death until days later after officials were questioned by The Virginian-Pilot and NBC News. Navy officials initially described the incident as a training mishap during a routine exercise. But numerous sources told NBC News and The Pilot the death had been caused by an instructor going too far.

The medical examiner's report agreed: "It is our opinion that the actions, and inactions, of the instructors and other individuals involved were excessive and directly contributed to the death, and the manner of death is best classified as homicide."

Lovelace, 21, of Crestview, Fla., had been struggling during an exercise in which trainees tread water in a pool while wearing combat fatigues and boots, according to the medical examiner’s report. During the exercise, “instructors are reportedly advised to not dunk or pull students underwater,” the report says.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Brutal. I've watched them doing what I called the "bob for life". Their hands were tied behind their back, their feet were tied together, and they had to push off the bottom to the surface to breathe for what seemed like an eternity to me. I saw a few pulled out of the pool in distress. They used to use the pool on NAB Coronado for that exercise until their own pool was built on the Strand in the mid-90's.