Search Engines

D

dems4me

I was just wondering why it seems like everyone and their brother use "Google" as their search engine. :ohwell: I was told years ago that a metasearch engine was better because it has more than one search engine and Google is in there. For example, if you do a search on www.dogpile.com (a metasearch engine) their's google's search engine, aol's search enging, and many others. To me it seems to make better sense to use a metasearch engine instead of a single search engine such as Google... is my concept outdated?

Psst... in response to my question, please use layman's terms...tia!!! :wink:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Search engines use different methods to find the stuff you want. Google uses software to constantly surf the Web and update its list of what's available. The Stats report on my company's Web site lists how many times the Googlebot came to the site. Each search engine also uses a different method for determining what sites to list first based on your search request.

Google is so popular partly because it keeps track of what people are looking for, and lets you know if you might have made a spelling error in your search terms.

One time I needed to know how many milliliters were in an ounce. I typed the question in Google, hoping to find a metric conversion site, and it answered my question:
http://www.google.com/search?source...=UTF-8&q=how+many+milliliters+are+in+an+ounce

Still, metasearch engines are very useful if you're trying to find something obscure.

D

dems4me

Originally posted by Tonio

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Tonio -- but which is better :shrug: The metasearch engine keeps track of my recent searchs and I can testify that they are very good at catching my mispellings :shrug:

D

dems4me

Re: Yahoo

Originally posted by designerxboi
I use the www.yahoo.com search engine on the main page, I can always find what I'm looking for there.

Joe

thanks but Yahooo's search engine is also included in this one particular webcite's meta search engine :shrug: but it's popularity has been waining through the years and I was just wondering what happened and why people prefer to limit themselves to one search engine instead of about 50 all at once :shrug:

D

dems4me

Originally posted by kwillia
Still can't find any links telling you it's perfectly safe to eat those crabs, huh...:confused:

:killingme:

how'd you guess :blushing: