Secretary Mnuchin’s response to Chairman Neal’s letter requesting President Trump’s tax returns

This_person

Actually, for me, it's just curiosity as I've been able to see the taxes of past presidents but for some reason the incumbent doesn't want to show them. So, it tends to make someone wonder, why not? But that really doesn't matter. Even , if the taxes were released IAW the USC, the public still wouldn't get to see them. I do feel the we should be able to see the basic finances of those who are running for and holding office. Heck, even someone who wants to be County Commissioner, or on certain Boards and Commissions, here in St. Mary's has to submit financial disclosure forms.
Not sure if you are aware, but he fills one out every year as requested.

Here is the 2018 one:

SamSpade

Actually, for me, it's just curiosity as I've been able to see the taxes of past presidents but for some reason the incumbent doesn't want to show them. So, it tends to make someone wonder, why not?

Why didn't Obama release any of his college transcripts and grades and any other material?
And the short answer is - he doesn't have to. There's no reason for it - and the only reason people wanted it was to either see
if he matriculated as a foreign student or if his grades were mediocre - and how he was able to go from Occidental to an Ivy
League college. Basically - dirt. There's no need to know. It's like asking someone their weight or their age or their salary - unless
there's a reasonable reason to know, it's just no one's business.

Try using the "what is she hiding" argument next time you ask a woman how much she weighs.
It's none of your business.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
unless there's a reasonable reason to know, it's just no one's business.

Then people trot out the 'historically' argument ..... I've has this argument with Salmon and Sapidus

'I HAVE A RIGHT TO SEE TRUMP'S TAX RETURNS'

ah No You Don't

Clem72

There's no need to know. It's like asking someone their weight or their age or their salary - unless there's a reasonable reason to know, it's just no one's business.

People should not feel threatened about discussing their salary. Thats just employers trying to keep everyone ignorant so they can't properly negotiate. Could you imagine the realestate market if there were no "comps" and everyone had to guess the value of their property because they didn't know what others were paying? Car dealerships with no MSRP/KBB/True Car. Just take their word for it, it's a "good deal".

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
The Treasury Secretary can refuse and he then could be held in contempt of Congress as he is breaking the law. Period. Again there is no wiggle room.
Yet, it seems there is. Almost as if you don't get that there is more than one piece of paper involved in something like this.

GREAT rebuttal, This_person. Thank you.

I would just add this....

Maybe contempt, but it's not nearly a given that this means the law has been broken/anyone is breaking the law. Not even close. Contempt is not a crime, it's the stick Congress (or a judge) waggles because it (they) don't like the attitude/actions by the recipient.

--- End of line 38 on my 1040 (MCP)

Yooper

People should not feel threatened about discussing their salary. Thats just employers trying to keep everyone ignorant so they can't properly negotiate. Could you imagine the realestate market if there were no "comps" and everyone had to guess the value of their property because they didn't know what others were paying? Car dealerships with no MSRP/KBB/True Car. Just take their word for it, it's a "good deal".
I take the entirely opposite view. When it comes to personal data, I grew up with, "It's none of your business." And that was good and righteous.

We now seem to be (no, wait, we are) in the age of "What are you hiding? If you've done nothing wrong, then why not tell?" As if TrueCar applies to my private life....

My salary and other details (if in the private sector) are just that: private.

--- End of line and inquiries into my personal life (MCP)

Clem72

I take the entirely opposite view. When it comes to personal data, I grew up with, "It's none of your business." And that was good and righteous.

We now seem to be (no, wait, we are) in the age of "What are you hiding? If you've done nothing wrong, then why not tell?" As if TrueCar applies to my private life....

My salary and other details (if in the private sector) are just that: private.

--- End of line and inquiries into my personal life (MCP)

That's not the opposite of my view, and from what I have read of your posts on here I wouldn't have expected you to mischaracterize my point.

I didn't say people's pay should be publicized, I said they shouldn't be made to feel bad about discussing it (or outright barring discussion as is often the case).

To bring it back to the original quote. It's none of your business how much I weigh, but I can tell you if I want and you can ask if you want (you might not like the reply you get).

Yooper

That's not the opposite of my view, and from what I have read of your posts on here I wouldn't have expected you to mischaracterize my point.

I didn't say people's pay should be publicized, I said they shouldn't be made to feel bad about discussing it (or outright barring discussion as is often the case).

To bring it back to the original quote. It's none of your business how much I weigh, but I can tell you if I want and you can ask if you want (you might not like the reply you get).
My bad. And apologies.

Did not do a good job of reading your post. Teaches me not to be reading one post (& responding) and trying to send an email in another app.

Thanks for the necessary and warranted correction. We do agree.

Mea culpa.

#PublicMistakesDeservePublicApologies

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Actually, for me, it's just curiosity as I've been able to see the taxes of past presidents but for some reason the incumbent doesn't want to show them. So, it tends to make someone wonder, why not? But that really doesn't matter. Even , if the taxes were released IAW the USC, the public still wouldn't get to see them. I do feel the we should be able to see the basic finances of those who are running for and holding office. Heck, even someone who wants to be County Commissioner, or on certain Boards and Commissions, here in St. Mary's has to submit financial disclosure forms.

But do you think that if Trump were a tax cheat, the IRS would have found it by now? Even before he became President? Or do you think any anomalies will only come to light with a Democrat-led congressional investigation and media demands?

awpitt

Main Streeter
But do you think that if Trump were a tax cheat, the IRS would have found it by now? Even before he became President? Or do you think any anomalies will only come to light with a Democrat-led congressional investigation and media demands?

I have no idea if he is or not. Apparently, he's been under audit like, forever. So, I guess they've had forever to find out if he is or not.

This_person

I have no idea if he is or not. Apparently, he's been under audit like, forever. So, I guess they've had forever to find out if he is or not.
Did you get the link to the 2018 financial disclosure report? Would you like a link to previous ones, so you can quench your curiosity?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Do you think this issue is important enough for Congress to be focusing on it?

Part II: Why do you think the MSM is pushing this story? Are Trump's tax returns really the most important/interesting thing happening in the world?

Hijinx

One would have to be retarded to not understand that they went after Trump head over heels with a fake Russia collusion story that failed and the tax returns is just the next step in the never ending saga of get Trump.

Every one of these sock suckers was 100% for stopping illegal immigration before Trump was elected.
Trump got elected and they want open borders. It's insane. TDS driving them crazy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Every one of these sock suckers was 100% for stopping illegal immigration before Trump was elected.

No they weren't. They just orated and pontificated about it because that's what voters wanted to hear. They did nothing to curb the problem, and never had any intention of securing our border.

Trump is actually trying to do something about illegal immigration, and that's why the Dems are freaking out.

This_person

No they weren't. They just orated and pontificated about it because that's what voters wanted to hear. They did nothing to curb the problem, and never had any intention of securing our border.

Trump is actually trying to do something about illegal immigration, and that's why the Dems the establishment politicians of both parties are freaking out.
FIFY

awpitt

Main Streeter
Do you think this issue is important enough for Congress to be focusing on it?

Not the most important thing in the world but shouldn't be ignored either. And according to the USC, it's in their jurisdiction. The precedent for this set back during the Nixon years.

Part II: Why do you think the MSM is pushing this story? Are Trump's tax returns really the most important/interesting thing happening in the world?

MSM is after it because the Mueller report looks like it's going to be a dud.

awpitt

Main Streeter
What information do you think you can gleam from his taxes that you couldn't find in the FEC required financial disclosures?

There'd have to be certain info unique to each since the FEC forms deal with campaign fundraising and expenditures and taxes deal with person finances.