Security clearance expirations

Restless Blood

Anyone here know for sure how long a security clearance is good for? I have had previous clearances, do they "expire" when you leave a job, or just become "inactive" I have had past clearances (Secret 1996 - 1998 & Top Secret 1993 - 1996 ) by government contractor companies.

Thanks.

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Yes, they become inactive for 2 years. After 2 years they expire and you will have to apply for a new clearance.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by ememdee19
Yes, they become inactive for 2 years. After 2 years they expire and you will have to apply for a new clearance.

:confused: Not as far as I kow. I actually just spoke with my security officer last week about this, and she said they are good indefinitely, and normally after 10 years or so they'll review your file.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by PFgal
:confused: Not as far as I kow. I actually just spoke with my security officer last week about this, and she said they are good indefinitely, and normally after 10 years or so they'll review your file.

You're security officer is smoking crack. TS is good for 5 years just so long as it's "active". Once you are no longer using your TS (no contract that you are using it on) it will go inactive, and will be null and void after two years. Secret I believe is 10 years. But it's the same as the TS, you have to have it active or it will expire and have to be done over.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Yea, she could have very well been off-base. I needed to know how long mine was active to fill out some forms, and that's what she told me. At any rate, I have a few more years under my belt before renewal I suppose.

Last edited:

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous

Then one of our security managers is wrong. Mine informed me that after you leave your job (get fired, retire) it goes into an inactive status. If after 2 years, you still aren't utilizing your clearance, it expires.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by ememdee19
Then one of our security managers is wrong. Mine informed me that after you leave your job (get fired, retire) it goes into an inactive status. If after 2 years, you still aren't utilizing your clearance, it expires.

Now that sounds feasible. Maybe I misunderstood and didn't realize that his/hers had been inactive as opposed to simply transferred to a new company. Sounds like my security officer may have wrong information, though. :shrug:

Pookie

Ghetto Fabulous
Now that sounds feasible. Maybe I misunderstood and didn't realize that his/hers had been inactive as opposed to simply transferred to a new company. Sounds like my security officer may have wrong information, though. :shrug:

They are definitely transferrable so long as it's within 2 years.

Makavide

Not too talkative
Originally posted by Christy
Well, since the info is publicly available information,

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/d52206wch4_010292/d52206p.pdf

Discussing the process in a public forum is fully within the bounds of tact and common sense. Discussing why one would be in need of such a clearance would be pushing the limits IMHO.

I believe discussing the fact that you have/need one should be a no-no except where you have/need one, could be wrong - just makes sense to me.