See If You Can Spot The Conflict Of Interest Here...

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
The link below is to a Bloomberg article reporting on Dick's Sporting Goods losing $150 million last year due to the company's change in gun sales policy.

See if you can spot the conflict of interest.

FWIW: Yet another example of what passes for journalism these days. Not news, but an agit/prop-driven opinion & culture war by the Left 24/7 with the goal of wiping out our individual rights and liberties.

Link: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ceo-ed-stack-says-gun-shift-cut-sales-by-150m

(Note: would like to have snipped the entire article (to make it easier on y'all), but didn't want to get dinged for not following fair use policy. So please click and read away.)

--- End of line (MCP)

glhs837

Power with Control
Interesting bit here, equates shooting with "bloodsports". Chances of any firearm I own drawing blood is pretty slim.

“Can they shift it to play more towards active outdoors versus bloodsport,” said Sam Poser, an analyst at Susquehanna Financial Group.

I also note this line........ maybe some grammar type can parse this better. Does this mean Dicks gun sales were dropping like that, or is that supposed to reflect nation numbers?

To be fair, guns were a shrinking part of Dick’s business before Stack changed the company policy. And annual firearm sales nationwide have dropped almost 17 percent since 2016,

Lastly, they sort of gloss over the bit about him funding gun control legislation. Wonder if they realize that was the final straw for many folks, mysel included. Sell or dont sell whatever you want. But BY GOD dont spend to try and restrict my rights. Then you will NEVER see another dime.

Yooper

Interesting bit here, equates shooting with "bloodsports". Chances of any firearm I own drawing blood is pretty slim.

I also note this line........ maybe some grammar type can parse this better. Does this mean Dicks gun sales were dropping like that, or is that supposed to reflect nation numbers?

Lastly, they sort of gloss over the bit about him funding gun control legislation. Wonder if they realize that was the final straw for many folks, mysel included. Sell or dont sell whatever you want. But BY GOD dont spend to try and restrict my rights. Then you will NEVER see another dime.
And then, the last line(s).... A plug for Bloomberg's anti-gun work on...Bloomberg!

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Well, several things jumped out at me, like a CEO actively trying to reduce his company's sales, but I'ma go with this:

(Everytown was founded by Michael Bloomberg, owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP.)

transporter

And then, the last line(s).... A plug for Bloomberg's anti-gun work on...Bloomberg!

--- End of line (MCP)

Actually that is called a "disclosure". It is what professional journalists or organizations do when they have a conflict.

This is how it is supposed to work.

Yooper

Actually that is called a "disclosure". It is what professional journalists or organizations do when they have a conflict.

This is how it is supposed to work.
Let me respond this way.

What would you do if a researcher published a study that said smoking wasn't harmful to one's health and it was disclosed at the end of the study that the researcher worked for or was funded by Philip Morris? I suspect you (and just about everyone else) would completely discount/disregard EVERYTHING the study said.

So great, disclosure. Given that this disclosure voids everything written above it why write the article? Well, if it were a cheerleading, propaganda piece (as opposed to what Bloomberg (the magazine) used to publish (which was hard, financial info)), then I can see the reason.

The article seeks to do many things. And chief among them is to prop up DSG; that despite its massive losses all is good as DSG's stock prices are holding steady or doing better. That's not news, that's taking sides to "boost an ally" within a story that's supposed to be a straight bit of financial news.

So, yes, political posturing masquerading as news. Just another reason why so much of what pretends to be news is #FakeNews. And why so many of us no longer trust the mainstream media.

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Chances of any firearm I own drawing blood is pretty slim.

ya know there are people out there - Gun Owners, that think 'military' weapons should not be collected ...
ya know that Enfield Mk IV or M-1 Garand or that Mosin Nagant because that weapon might have killed someone, some where ....

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

ya know there are people out there - Gun Owners, that think 'military' weapons should not be collected ... ya know that Enfield Mk IV or M-1 Garand or that Mosin Nagant because that weapon might have killed someone, some where ....
Boy am I in trouble with those people. Plus, all the bayonets I have that most likely were plunged through the bowels of the enemy during close quarters combat. Prized possessions I tells ya, prized possessions. And yet, sitting there just waiting for the next enemy to send to the promised land.

glhs837

Power with Control
ya know there are people out there - Gun Owners, that think 'military' weapons should not be collected ...
ya know that Enfield Mk IV or M-1 Garand or that Mosin Nagant because that weapon might have killed someone, some where ....

I pointed out the term bloodsport not for a military tie-in, I dont think that was the reason that word was chosen, and it was very carefully chosen. Bloodsport in this sense means hunting, and it's meant to invoke all the negative mental imagery that your average city dweller has of hunting. Hicks with few teeth drinking the blood of their kill, biting a chunk of a bloody heart, drawing on each others faces like war paint with it. Tragic pictures of grinning old white guys standing over formerly majestic elephants and giraffes, Bambi missing Mom. All that is invoked.