Seems To Have Survived 30 Yrs Without Gov Approval

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
After decades in woods, New Hampshire man forced from cabin

CANTERBURY, N.H. (AP) — For almost three decades, 81-year-old David Lidstone has lived in the woods of New Hampshire along the Merrimack River in a small cabin adorned with solar panels. He has grown his own food, cut his own firewood, and tended to his cat and chickens.

[clip]

Merrimack County Superior Court Judge Andrew Schulman agreed that Lidstone isn’t hurting anyone, but said the law is clearly on the landowner's side.

“You’re doing your own thing in the ‘Live Free or Die’ state, so there’s a lot of sympathy to you for that,” he said. “But there’s a lot of weight on the other side of the balance sheet, and not just about what the (landowner) wants to do with the land, but the weight I feel to uphold the judgment of the court and the rule of law.”

[clip]

But even if there were a way to allow Lidstone to stay, it would be an uphill battle. His home is in violation of local and state zoning and environmental regulations, and there is no access to a road.

WTF does the old man need a road for .....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought I would be on this guy's side until I read the story. He's not merely living off the grid, he's squatting on someone's property and they have every right to kick him out.

All these whining do-gooders coming out to support him, their solution is simple: take up a collection and buy that parcel of land from Mr. Giles. Put together a GoFundMe. Problem solved.

black dog

Free America
I thought I would be on this guy's side until I read the story. He's not merely living off the grid, he's squatting on someone's property and they have every right to kick him out.

All these whining do-gooders coming out to support him, their solution is simple: take up a collection and buy that parcel of land from Mr. Giles. Put together a GoFundMe. Problem solved.

Depending on the State, after 10-15 years of continuous living one can use squatters rights to deed over a piece of property.

Edit... New Hampshire is 20 years for adverse possession...

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Depending on the State, after 10-15 years of continuous living one can use squatters rights to deed over a piece of property.

Edit... New Hampshire is 20 years for adverse possession...
Don't you also have to pay the property tax during that time frame?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
He's not merely living off the grid, he's squatting on someone's property and they have every right to kick him out.

Yeah so what ...... for 30 yrs, not asking anything from anybody .... sometimes a little common decency is asked for ... it is not like his preseance is stopping the 86 yr old owner from doing NOTHING with the property ...

mostly no one knew he was there until 2016 when some town administration drone filed a complaint against the property owner, because the home made ramshackle building didn't meet city code ....

Grumpy

But his off-the-grid existence has been challenged in court by a property owner who says he’s been squatting for all those years. And to make Lidstone’s matters worse, his cabin was burned to the ground Wednesday afternoon in a blaze that is being investigated by local authorities.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Don't you also have to pay the property tax during that time frame?
I don't think so. I did little research on this a while ago, and I seem to remember that if you simply maintain the property for x years, it becomes yours. Like if there is a property border, and someone maintains some number of feet over the border and you don't dispute it, it eventually can be claimed as theirs.

phreddyp

Maybe you should read it again with a little humility this time .

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah so what ...... for 30 yrs, not asking anything from anybody .... sometimes a little common decency is asked for ... it is not like his preseance is stopping the 86 yr old owner from doing NOTHING with the property ...

How many people would you allow to build a cabin in your yard and live there? How many homeless people would you allow to pitch a tent and live on your property?

This is the same thing.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
How many people would you allow to build a cabin in your yard and live there? How many homeless people would you allow to pitch a tent and live on your property?

This is the same thing.

Old black fella (in his 70s) lived in a dilapidated log cabin situated next to a creek down in the holler on our farm. No electricity or plumbing and only creek water. He was supposedly born in that same cabin. He'd come around about once or twice a month looking for some paying work.

Don't recall Pop ever giving a second thought to the old guy living there. He'd send me down to the cabin with a box of food every once in a while.

The cabin in the story was certainly not in anyone's "yard"..LMAO... It was remote and nearly inaccessible.

phreddyp

This is the same thing.
Bullshit ! He has lived there for 30 years and has never been a problem , both he and the owner are in heavens waiting room knockin on the door . There is more to this story than just the headlines, someone behind the scene has influenced the property owner to be pushing this after 30 years.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bullshit ! He has lived there for 30 years and has never been a problem , both he and the owner are in heavens waiting room knockin on the door . There is more to this story than just the headlines, someone behind the scene has influenced the property owner to be pushing this after 30 years.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that the guy or his heirs would like to sell the property and can't have this guy squatting there.

Which is their right because it's THEIR property.

You all are fascinating, you really are. Now you're arguing AGAINST private property rights. :lol:

phreddyp

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say that the guy or his heirs would like to sell the property and can't have this guy squatting there.

Which is their right because it's THEIR property.

You all are fascinating, you really are. Now you're arguing AGAINST private property rights. :lol:
Not at all , the man has an implied contract with the property owner being that he has been on the property for 30 years whether or not he was paying rent especially if the owner has know that he was there . Also you must not forget that there is an eviction ban in place nationwide due to Covid . There may be another lawsuit filed in federal court if the ACLU or another consumer rights group decides to pursue this . This may get very interesting in the long run.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

This is the same thing.

No it is not ..... our property is ACTIVELY Occupied .... this is a 70 some acre wooded lot

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just point out that for 28 years it was not a problem. Zippy. What made it become one? Specifically....

As I said, my guess is that he's considering selling the property, or willing it to his heirs who will sell.

It doesn't matter. We either respect private property rights or we don't. It doesn't matter what you would do, or anyone else. This is about this man and his property and his decision.

And again, there is a simple solution to this situation, so what's the big deal?