Self Defense On Trail

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Great stuff! I would think one might want to have a knife in a sheath on their hip in case these techniques fail and you get dismounted which you can get at while your attacker has his hands on you.

I would think a knife is a standard trail tool anyway. Maybe even a machete for cutting vines and what not.

A handgun might be kinda kewl too, for keeping rabid dogs and other such critters away from you and your horse.

Heavy wire cutters in your person might make sense if horsey gets a wire of some kind stuck on a leg. You can use them as a hammer, as well in an emergency.

Tools!

mingiz

Horse Poor
Great stuff! I would think one might want to have a knife in a sheath on their hip in case these techniques fail and you get dismounted which you can get at while your attacker has his hands on you.

I would think a knife is a standard trail tool anyway. Maybe even a machete for cutting vines and what not.

A handgun might be kinda kewl too, for keeping rabid dogs and other such critters away from you and your horse.

Heavy wire cutters in your person might make sense if horsey gets a wire of some kind stuck on a leg. You can use them as a hammer, as well in an emergency.

Tools!

Great advice....:cheers: Best thing is not to ride alone. I do carry a set of fence pliers a knife, a temper, and have long reins to beat you with and a tall horse that is quick to turn....:lol: I also pay attention..Your horse will tell you if something isn't right, he can heard and smell long before you realize it. Atleast my trail horses do. The worst thing I think that would happen is your horse bolts because he thinks that man is going to eat his azz up. :yikes:That will help if you hang on but most riders are in thier own little world and a spook can unseat you quickly. So main thing is pay attention and be prepared at all times if your alone or even with others. Ya just never know.....when the shiat is gonna hit the fan...:shrug: If I tell a person walking towards my horse or is coming at the horse itself..I tell them to back off that he will kick you that usually backs them off as I'm swinging his azz around towards them. :whistle: Just don't trust anyone.....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Great advice...If I tell a person walking towards my horse or is coming at the horse itself..I tell them to back off that he will kick you that usually backs them off as I'm swinging his azz around towards them. :whistle: Just don't trust anyone.....

That right there is some good advice.

Wait4It..boom

Originally Posted by mingiz
Great advice...If I tell a person walking towards my horse or is coming at the horse itself..I tell them to back off that he will kick you that usually backs them off as I'm swinging his azz around towards them. Just don't trust anyone.....

I like that! Great idea :O)

mingiz

Horse Poor
Originally Posted by mingiz
Great advice...If I tell a person walking towards my horse or is coming at the horse itself..I tell them to back off that he will kick you that usually backs them off as I'm swinging his azz around towards them. Just don't trust anyone.....

I like that! Great idea :O)

Try it you'll be surprised how people can scatter when a horse turns a tail to them....:killingme:killingme Then when they say something...say awww sorry bad horsey he doesn't know any better....:evil:

Wait4It..boom

Try it you'll be surprised how people can scatter when a horse turns a tail to them....:killingme:killingme Then when they say something...say awww sorry bad horsey he doesn't know any better....:evil:

ooo, and mine can rear on command! rear, then turn a tail.... OH this could be interesting :evil: thanks! i've got a new fun party (and safety) trick :whistle:

G

GVF

Max was used for one of Scott's demo's at an expo once. He pulled his assistant off and went on to do some speaking about what to look for etc. Then after his talk he went to do the "pull off" again, and typically the assistant shows what to do. Um... not with Max... when Scott came up agressive looking again, Max turned and pinned his ears at him, and "snarled", moved away and would not let him near her. Scott said he had never seen a horse respond like that to protect the rider- EVER, and everyone was laughing. He went on to add.... well.. if you have an attack horse... He then came calmy up to Max, and Max was fine. So,I guess I am good on the trails with my "attack horse". :killingme