Selling your used car yourself in MD

calvcopf

First time selling a car. Need some advice. Should I get it inspected or let the buyer deal with all of that? Also, what websites have you used to list the vehicle for sale?
Need some direction about how to go about this. I usually just trade them in, but this is an extra vehicle and I won't be buying a replacement.
Thanks

Getting it inspected first is a good thing. No surprises to either you or the buyer if something fails inspection post-fact, no calls in the middle of the night from an irate buyer. It's not expensive in the big scheme of things.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I just went through this myself. I was going to sell "as is" but they buyer did point out a couple of things that wouldn't pass inspection. I took it over to the dealership and had it done. Turned out there were a few other things that needed to be fixed. Their tune was 2k+! Eff the Hell NO! I bought all the needed parts and had a friend do all the work, took it back (within the 30 days for no additional charge) and it passed. I got my full asking price.

Word of advise, if you don't have the clear title and there is a lien on it at MVA, you can get a letter from your lender that will clear that up.

Good luck!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Getting one ready to sell right now, in fact. I'm working toward having it inspected because that's what will keep the price as high as possible. Still a few more things to take care of. If asked, I always recommend that folks buy a used vehicle that is already inspected..unless they are mechanically inclined and it's a killer deal.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Getting one ready to sell right now, in fact. I'm working toward having it inspected because that's what will keep the price as high as possible.

Finally gett'n rid of the ole' Yugo, huh?

Freefaller

I've recently sold two used cars. Both to the Car Max in Brandywine. After cleaning up both cars, i took them to several car lots to get offers. Car Max had the highest offer each time so I went with them. No need to advertise, deal with unreasonable buyers or worry about inspections / repairs, etc, etc. Once making the decision, I just took it back to them, waited a few minutes while they processed the paperwork and walked away with a check. (One which I knew wouldnt bounce!). Very easy process.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I've recently sold two used cars. Both to the Car Max in Brandywine. After cleaning up both cars, i took them to several car lots to get offers. Car Max had the highest offer each time so I went with them. No need to advertise, deal with unreasonable buyers or worry about inspections / repairs, etc, etc. Once making the decision, I just took it back to them, waited a few minutes while they processed the paperwork and walked away with a check. (One which I knew wouldnt bounce!). Very easy process.
I didn't even think of that. The dealership offered me next to nothing. I sold it for the high blue book value (less a few hundred). A family in the neighborhood wanted it and waited for me to do what I needed me to do (about 4 weeks) and brought me cash. :yay:

Chris0nllyn

First time selling a car. Need some advice. Should I get it inspected or let the buyer deal with all of that? Also, what websites have you used to list the vehicle for sale?
Need some direction about how to go about this. I usually just trade them in, but this is an extra vehicle and I won't be buying a replacement.
Thanks

Really depends on the car. Is it paid off or is there a lien holder?

If it's newer without issues, get it inspected. The inspection is good for 90 days so hopefully it gets sold quickly.

If it's older and has issues that may cost a bit of money in relation to the overall value (i.e. $500 worth of tires on a call you're trying to sell for $2,500), then I personally wouldn't get it inspected.

I've used Craigslist, Autotrader, and any other free site to list it. This includes Facebook and other social media (if applicable). Many websites wil ltry and "sell" you a spot on their website so that's up to you if you want to go that route.

As stated before, you could go to CarMax or other dealer but you'll get less doing that (dealers need to make money also). You'll have to decide if the convenience is worth the trade off in profit.

Be sure to look into the tag/title requirements. You may need to have the buyer sign a bill of sale and/or other things and not just the back of the title. It would suck to have to sell the car then go back and find the seller to get their signature again.

Detail the car! A simple wash, wax, and engine/interior detail will go a long way with trying to sell it. Also take good photos after the detail to use in any online ads.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Its only good for 30 days.
Pretty sure a valid inspection certificate is good for 90 days, the 30 days is if it failed and you have that time for re-inspection after getting the problem/s fixed.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Pretty sure a valid inspection certificate is good for 90 days, the 30 days is if it failed and you have that time for re-inspection after getting the problem/s fixed.
Yes, mine failed and I had 30 days to have it fixed. :yay:

I already had a buyer standing by, so I have no idea abut the 90 day thing.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Keepin' that..selling the Trabant.
Why would you choose to sell the best "entirely plastic" automobile of all time? And the non-vibrant color schemes (I'm partial to the light blue & yellow offerings)? Simply, to die for! Or in....

Go. Just go. You-go!

--- End of line (MCP)

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Car Max offered me basically nothing for it so guess I will sell it myself
Car Max is only interested in vehicles that are only a few years old and with relatively low mileage. Same as most dealers that also operate used car lots actually..the rest go to the auction lots.