Senate IT Office Hit With ‘Housecleaning’ in Hassan Aide Scandal

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“There’s been massive personnel changes over there,” said a knowledgeable Senate source who requested anonymity. “The new people are lot more strict and putting on a lot more rules and restrictions. They have just been tightening down a lot since then.”

John Clayton Porter was branch manager for information assurance—cybersecurity from March 2017 until earlier this month, according to LegiStorm. He was paid $88,628 annually at the time of his departure, according to Senate records.

The Sergeant-at-Arms (SAA) office declined to discuss Porter or personnel changes that have been implemented in his former office. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also declined to comment.

https://m-theepochtimes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/m.theepochtimes.com/senate-it-office-hit-with-housecleaning-in-hassan-aide-scandal_2878451.html

I have seen a bunch of JOB ads recently for House and White House Executive IT Support

Reactions: BOP

stgislander

PREMO Member
The Sergeant-at-Arms (SAA) office declined to discuss Porter or personnel changes that have been implemented in his former office. A spokesman for Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) also declined to comment.
How about that transparency everyone on the Hill says that we need.

PeoplesElbow

John Clayton Porter was branch manager for information assurance—cybersecurity from March 2017 until earlier this month, according to LegiStorm. He was paid $88,628 annually at the time of his departure, according to Senate records.
That seems pretty low for the job title.

PeoplesElbow

Depending on when he started and what he asked for, that's about a topped out GS-11 or a 12/3 or 4; possibly a 13/1, but again, depends on a few factors.
I was thinking GS-12, a branch manager in IT security of the senate I would think would be a GS-14. I know several non-degreed government workers that have maxed out at GS-12 that went and got cyber security degrees and get non-managerial jobs at the GS-13 level with no experience in cyber security.

BOP

I was thinking GS-12, a branch manager in IT security of the senate I would think would be a GS-14. I know several non-degreed government workers that have maxed out at GS-12 that went and got cyber security degrees and get non-managerial jobs at the GS-13 level with no experience in cyber security.
Yeah, but the days of making 14 without a 4-year degree have long been over, at least in NAVAIR, and I presume the same is true elsewhere. That goes for evil DC. The whole capital zone is top-heavy in ways the rest of the country is not. On the west coast, we had exactly one 15 in charge (an old wage grade who made his way up without a degree, btw), whereas here, you can't go anywhere without tripping over a half dozen of them.

Plus, for the last several years there has been a push on to attrite out the higher grades and replace them/us with lower grades, but who really knows.

PeoplesElbow

Yeah, but the days of making 14 without a 4-year degree have long been over, at least in NAVAIR, and I presume the same is true elsewhere. That goes for evil DC. The whole capital zone is top-heavy in ways the rest of the country is not. On the west coast, we had exactly one 15 in charge (an old wage grade who made his way up without a degree, btw), whereas here, you can't go anywhere without tripping over a half dozen of them.

Plus, for the last several years there has been a push on to attrite out the higher grades and replace them/us with lower grades, but who really knows.
Understand that, I have non-degreed friends that had highly technical jobs, spent 20+ years mastering them and had difficulty getting promoted to GS-13.

But, someone in charge of cyber security for the senate....that is like the NSA going to Radio Shack for a "my first wire tap kit" and expecting it to do the job for $15.