Senator Grayson - AR fires 700 rounds a minute

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dem Rep. Makes a Big Claim About AR-15 Rifle — and Conservative Journalist Offers $50K If He Can Prove It

Police said Sunday that the shooter, identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, entered a popular gay club in Orlando and opened fire, killing 49 people and injuring over 50 others. He was armed with multiple firearms, including a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle. The gunman was killed in a shootout with SWAT officers.

“If he was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive,” he said. “If somebody like him had nothing worse to deal with than a Glock pistol…he might have killed three or four people and not 50. It’s way too easy to kill people in America today and we have to think long and hard about what to do about that.”

Multiple viewers were quick to question the claim. However, one conservative journalist went one step further and offered to pay $50,000 to the charity of Grayson’s choice if he can fire an AR-15 700 times or more in one minute. Conrad Close, editor in chief of American Crossroads, made the offer.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Multiple viewers were quick to question the claim.

LOL..no doubt. Anyone can clearly hear in the on-scene videos that have come out that the rifle was a standard semi-auto AR-15.

In full auto, an M-16 does hit rates of 700 rpm. That empties out a 40rd magazine in about 3 1/2 seconds.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I still think there was more than one shooter.... one person firing one weapon in a crowded club of over 200 and nobody stopped him? Not ONE person saw an opportunity between magazines, reloads... or was even behind him at one point? Seems TOO easy..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Or is this our new America.. run, cower and/or wait to die.. It would insult your attacker if you fight back.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I still think there was more than one shooter.... one person firing one weapon in a crowded club of over 200 and nobody stopped him? Not ONE person saw an opportunity between magazines, reloads... or was even behind him at one point? Seems TOO easy..

At least one of the people inside have said they were sure there were two other shooters; three total. But if so...wouldn't the FBI and local authorities have run that to ground by now??

Hijinx

At least one of the people inside have said they were sure there were two other shooters; three total. But if so...wouldn't the FBI and local authorities have run that to ground by now??

Hard to say, they have been trying to run Hillary to ground for a long time and she is still flying around the US campaigning for President.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
LOL..no doubt. Anyone can clearly hear in the on-scene videos that have come out that the rifle was a standard semi-auto AR-15.

In full auto, an M-16 does hit rates of 700 rpm. That empties out a 40rd magazine in about 3 1/2 seconds.

700 rpm might be theoretically possible, but in reality you might get 200 consecutive rounds without jamming.

SamSpade

How did he carry that much ammo into the club, and how did he manage to KEEP shooting for that long? Something doesn't add up. How does one guy shoot that many people and would as many?

PeoplesElbow

Remember where he was, this wouldn't have gone down the same way in a DC club.....

Vince

Dem Rep. Makes a Big Claim About AR-15 Rifle — and Conservative Journalist Offers $50K If He Can Prove It
Police said Sunday that the shooter, identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, entered a popular gay club in Orlando and opened fire, killing 49 people and injuring over 50 others. He was armed with multiple firearms, including a semi-automatic AR-15 rifle. The gunman was killed in a shootout with SWAT officers.
“If he was not able to buy a weapon that shoots off 700 rounds in a minute, a lot of those people would still be alive,” he said. “If somebody like him had nothing worse to deal with than a Glock pistol…he might have killed three or four people and not 50. It’s way too easy to kill people in America today and we have to think long and hard about what to do about that.”

Multiple viewers were quick to question the claim. However, one conservative journalist went one step further and offered to pay $50,000 to the charity of Grayson’s choice if he can fire an AR-15 700 times or more in one minute. Conrad Close, editor in chief of American Crossroads, made the offer.
Where do these idiots come from? And of course CNN won't dispute the statement.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
How did he carry that much ammo into the club, and how did he manage to KEEP shooting for that long? Something doesn't add up. How does one guy shoot that many people and would as many?

I read somewhere that 200 rounds were fired and that includes officer rounds at him. That's 7 30 round mags if it was all him and 7 mags is no big deal if he had any number of carrier/pouch variants.. If he fired 1 shot into a crowd it could have easily killed one person and wounded several more. From the audio, his fire wasn't deliberate, he was just pulling the trigger in the general direction of the mass. Frankly, given he was shooting at a captive mass, it's fortunate he did so poorly.

So, what's not adding up?

SamSpade

I read somewhere that 200 rounds were fired and that includes officer rounds at him. That's 7 30 round mags if it was all him and 7 mags is no big deal if he had any number of carrier/pouch variants.. If he fired 1 shot into a crowd it could have easily killed one person and wounded several more. From the audio, his fire wasn't deliberate, he was just pulling the trigger in the general direction of the mass. Frankly, given he was shooting at a captive mass, it's fortunate he did so poorly.

So, what's not adding up?

Well for one, he was apparently a terrible shot. One report said there were shots into the ceiling. He missed a lot. 100+ people killed or wounded - and I am assuming not every killed person had a single shot but several - how was he that accurate?

Another page said even special forces guys don't kill that many people with just one or two rounds each - IF you're killing THAT many people with a semi-automatic.

Lastly, he apparently continued shooting for a long while. So even if he had that many magazines, doesn't somebody notice someone armed to the teeth coming in?

PeoplesElbow

Well for one, he was apparently a terrible shot. One report said there were shots into the ceiling. He missed a lot. 100+ people killed or wounded - and I am assuming not every killed person had a single shot but several - how was he that accurate?

Another page said even special forces guys don't kill that many people with just one or two rounds each - IF you're killing THAT many people with a semi-automatic.

Lastly, he apparently continued shooting for a long while. So even if he had that many magazines, doesn't somebody notice someone armed to the teeth coming in?

Having never been in that particular type of establishment I am just extrapolating from the straight clubs. 1. The music is extremely loud and you have to yell just to hear people in front of you. 2. At that time in the morning people are wasted from alcohol. 3. Many, many people at clubs are on something other than alcohol so that they have energy, have more intense experiences etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Again, carrying 100's of rounds for an AR is not a big deal. It was one of the main points of the model; that an infantry man can carry a lot more rounds. So, I see you coming into the bar with a Death Ray in your hands and I'm a security guard making $12 an hour and have a Glock in my back pocket, I'm opening the door for you and saying 'have a nice day, sir' as I 23 skidoo out the door as you enter.

direxpgw

Killing this many people is not improbable for a single shooter in this particular environment. A special forces operator doesn't encounter a jammed packed nightclub shooting scenario, but rather one with combatants shooting back, ducking and covering, in a war time scenario. In that case, it may be extremely improbable to kill 50 people as they are moving all over and most probably shooting back. This was a fish in the barrel scenario. My guess is the guy went in with 10+ 30rd mags and just sprayed in the general direction. At 20', a 5.56 rd would probably go thru the first person and continue into another, maybe 2 more people. With people crammed in like a normal busy nightclub, its conceivable that almost every round hit more than 1 person. Not to mention he had a 9mm with who knows how much ammo. My friends, at 10' distance the difference between getting shot by a pistol or rifle is dead or real dead. I have no idea if there were multiple shooters or not. All I'm saying is that in that particular scenario where people are packed like sardines, all having fun and drunk, unable to form any kind of coherent immediate escape or probably even recognition of what was happening, it would not be inconceivable that a single shooter could kill so many. But lets not think the guns are the issue no matter what here. If he walked into the same club into the middle with a suicide vest, my guess is the outcome would be similar. About 50 dead and a dead terrorist.