senior apartments?

CRHS89

Looking to possibly move my mom into one in St. Mary's. She is going to be applying for disability. She would need an income based unit. Just trying to get an idea of what out options are. Any tips, good places, places to stay away from?

leonardtowngal

Looking to possibly move my mom into one in St. Mary's. She is going to be applying for disability. She would need an income based unit. Just trying to get an idea of what out options are. Any tips, good places, places to stay away from?

New Towne Village behind the Leonardtown Fire House...they do NOT make you buy the meals...in my opinion, much nicer and cleaner

CRHS89

Any idea how long the application/approval takes for these places? I assume there would be a waiting list for income-based given the current economy.

bilbur

Try Cedar Lane Apartments in Leonardtown. My mom lives there and really likes it.

Don't consider them if she smokes. Whenever I drive by, there is a handful of seniors standing across the road, sometimes on the road, because they not only banned smoking in the apartment complex they also banned smoking on the property. I can understand banning smoking in the actual building but these people are 80 and above years old if they want to smoke they should be able to smoke in a safe environment. This may have changed because it has been a while since I have been past there but I doubt it.

luvmygdaughters

New Towne Village behind the Leonardtown Fire House...they do NOT make you buy the meals...in my opinion, much nicer and cleaner

The surrounding neighborhood isnt that great. Alot of traffic for a deadend street, Not sure if your mom drives or not, but, if she likes to walk, be exra careful, like I said, alot of traffic and not much obeying the speed limit.

leonardtowngal

The surrounding neighborhood isnt that great. Alot of traffic for a deadend street, Not sure if your mom drives or not, but, if she likes to walk, be exra careful, like I said, alot of traffic and not much obeying the speed limit.

Know people that live at New Towne Village, and they have never complained about safety.

luvmygdaughters

Know people that live at New Towne Village, and they have never complained about safety.

We've lived close to there for about 15 years. Neighborhood has changed somewhat. Doesnt appear to be a good element in the subsidized townhomes. Thats where they busted a drug deal gone bad last year, caught the guy with a gun. Also have had LEO knock on our door to tell us that they were looking for somebody who was breaking into the cars in the senior citizens housing, wanted to know if we heard or saw anything. Just saying be careful.

mitzi

Don't consider them if she smokes. Whenever I drive by, there is a handful of seniors standing across the road, sometimes on the road, because they not only banned smoking in the apartment complex they also banned smoking on the property. I can understand banning smoking in the actual building but these people are 80 and above years old if they want to smoke they should be able to smoke in a safe environment. This may have changed because it has been a while since I have been past there but I doubt it.

I doubt it will ever change. I'm with you, I agree on a ban inside the building. I'm over there all the time and see the residents in wheelchairs and walkers on the other side of the road in the elements. I think it's a disgrace personally.
There is an apartment building called Lexington Park Active Adult Community on Pegg Road. They are pricey but they may base rent on income, I don't know. I've never been inside but it looks very nice from the outside. Very well kept and an attractive building. Worth checking out.

Lexington Park Active Adult Community - Pegg Road | Lexington Park, MD Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®

leonardtowngal

We've lived close to there for about 15 years. Neighborhood has changed somewhat. Doesnt appear to be a good element in the subsidized townhomes. Thats where they busted a drug deal gone bad last year, caught the guy with a gun. Also have had LEO knock on our door to tell us that they were looking for somebody who was breaking into the cars in the senior citizens housing, wanted to know if we heard or saw anything. Just saying be careful.

Talked with a friend that has live at New Towne Village for over 15 years, and they said that there has NEVER been a car broken into in their parking lot. It has to be better then Lexington Park for sure!!!

luvmygdaughters

Talked with a friend that has live at New Towne Village for over 15 years, and they said that there has NEVER been a car broken into in their parking lot. It has to be better then Lexington Park for sure!!!

:shrug: Just stating what the police officer told us. I dont know if it was a residents car or a visitors. Just that the car was broken into and a wallet or purse was stolen. We've lived very close to it for the past 18 years. As I stated, the neighborhood has changed since we moved into the area.