Septics rated for square footage, not number of bathrooms

glhs837

Power with Control
So, years back I pulled a permit for making habitable living space out of a covered porch on the back of what was then my residence and is now my rental property. I was told by the health department then that the septic would only support one bathroom. And that given the size of the lot, I couldn't expand the system. I recently sent a query to them asking about that, and the response said it would support a 3,999 square foot house. Thats great news. I suppose the person that told me it was bathrooms years ago just wanted me to go away....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Here's why I think the square footage or even the number of occupants is a better indicator than number of bathrooms. You have 4 people in a home. They will use the water/sewer amounts regardless if they have 1 bathroom or 10 bathrooms.

That is why I think many locations limit the number of people that can legally live in a dwelling. Years ago I worked with some illegals from El Salvador. They were 3 couples, each with 1 child, living in a 3 bedroom apartment in Northern Virginia. 5 of the adults worked while 1 of the woman stayed back and watched the kids. Imagine their water bill. It also explains why they can work for a lower wage since they split things 3 ways.

black dog

Free America
When I worked for my sister the installers that worked for them rented a home in Glen Burnie, more than once I put their water bill on my CC so it would be turned back on that day. They constantly would mail the water bill to themselves. Each time I paid the bill it was well over 1,000 dollars in usage.
They had 23+ adults and children in a 2 bedroom 1 bath, home with a basement. I was there to install a tankless water heater.
This was 15+- years ago.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I guess it depends on who you talk to. Had my septic system replaced a few years back. The septic guy, who has to deal with the health dept all of the time, told me it was the number of bedrooms, not the square footage or bathroom count.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It will be interesting to see how the Health Dept. ends up sizing the new septic system(s) we're going to put in out on the club island. Each wing has it's own system. There are 5 rooms with baths in one wing and 4 in the other plus a toilet in the main clubhouse.

Useage is intermittent; none during the week and often fully occupied Friday afternoon through Sunday. How they are going to figure all that in to the design will be interesting to see.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
It will be interesting to see how the Health Dept. ends up sizing the new septic system(s) we're going to put in out on the club island. Each wing has it's own system. There are 5 rooms with baths in one wing and 4 in the other plus a toilet in the main clubhouse.

Useage is intermittent; none during the week and often fully occupied Friday afternoon through Sunday. How they are going to figure all that in to the design will be interesting to see.
Can't you all just pee & poop before you get there? Who can't hold it for a weekend? See, problem solved.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Can't you all just pee & poop before you get there? Who can't hold it for a weekend? See, problem solved.

Some groups require an extra trip with our 24' Carolina skiffs just to get the food and, mostly, alcohol over. For a group of may 20 people..LOL

They can pee in the pool and/or hang it over the bulkhead...in a pinch.

glhs837

Power with Control
So, here was the response from the nice lady at the Health Deaprtment. Super quick response and total professionalism. Honestly wasnt expecting either. Really sorta torqued that some jackass 10 years ago kept me from even bothering. Nice thing is, I can maybe just knock that house down and put a modular up there. Mortgage broker and modular house recommendations welcome.

The existing septic is adequate for up to 3,999 sq ft of living space, any additions must meet this requirement unless you choose to upgrade the existing septic system. All additions must meet all setbacks 10' off of the existing septic tank and sewage reserve area and 15' off of the existing well. A building permit must be applied for at land use and growth management before any decisions can be made. Attached are copies of the property's current septic specs and a rough sketch of its location.

I asked a follow up to be sure...... her response

In response to your question in the past we used the number of bedrooms, but based on current regulations for the county we use square footage.

Thank you, feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.