Sequestration 2.0

Interesting read...

Sequestration 2.0 would mean furloughs for DoD's entire civilian workforce - FederalNewsRadio.com

When Congress pushed the pause button on sequestration last week, it also made some changes to how the automatic budget cuts would take place. And a new analysis suggests almost every civilian employee in the Defense Department would be forced to take a month of unpaid leave if the new version of sequestration isn't undone.

The projections come via the Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments. Todd Harrison, the think tank's senior fellow for defense budget studies already has warned that the previous version of sequestration, which Congress canceled just after the start of the new year, would have had a disproportionate impact on civilian workers.

But under the new version of sequestration, things are even worse for the 791,000 civil servants in DoD. While the overall dollar amount the new version of sequestration would cut is smaller — $45 billion instead of $62 billion — the cuts now would be crammed into just seven months in fiscal 2013, a year in which DoD has already been burning through cash at a rate that assumes no cuts would be made.

"That cut comes off of the total level of funding for the year," Harrison said. "By March, DoD already will have spent five months worth of the money in those accounts, so they have to make up that 8.8 percent reduction in the remaining seven months of the year."

That means DoD would have to cut its payroll expenses from March through the end of September by 15 percent.

"If you're going to reduce your payroll expenses by 15 percent for the remainder of the year, that means you have to furlough virtually every single DoD civilian for the maximum amount of time you can under the law, which is one month," Harrison said.

bcp

In My Opinion
But congress gets to keep their pay raise right?

I mean, we are not going to deprive them of income are we?

But congress gets to keep their pay raise right?

I mean, we are not going to deprive them of income are we?

Don't worry... of course they can keep their pay raise... thanks to you and me...:huggy:

Middle class tax breaks on the line - Jan. 10, 2013

The White House and Congress just finished a bruising fiscal cliff battle that raises taxes on the rich by $618 billion over a decade. Next up is the debt ceiling debate and dealing with the sequester -- automatic spending cuts set to kick in by early March.

Republicans want any debt limit increases to be coupled with spending cuts. In return, Democrats are demanding more revenue, mentioning closing loopholes and corporate subsidies like the $38 billion given to the oil industry over 10 years.

But to bring in significant tax revenues, lawmakers would have to tap into some politically sensitive tax deductions, said Robert Bixby, executive director of the Concord Coalition.

"The problem with exempting the middle class from any pain is that it's hard to make the numbers work," Bixby said. "Corporate tax loopholes are not as large as the ones for individuals."

slotpuppy

Ass-hole
exactly, and I do know a few people that have been dipping into their savings just to make monthly bills.

While we dont live paycheck to paycheck, I dont want to find out how long our meager saving would last if the wife was out of work.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
If contractors are taking 30% plus in pay cuts due to the government's "tripwire," the government can take a small 15% cut.

nobody really

I need a nap
If contractors are taking 30% plus in pay cuts due to the government's "tripwire," the government can take a small 15% cut.

I actually had a GS14 tell me most contractors are way over paid. Well, first, this fat biatch was a lazy effing slug and didn't have any room to talk. AND --- having worked both sides of the fence as civ and ctr, i know MOST if not ALL contractors work twice as hard as their fed conterparts and DO NOT deserve a pay cut.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I actually had a GS14 tell me most contractors are way over paid. Well, first, this fat biatch was a lazy effing slug and didn't have any room to talk. AND --- having worked both sides of the fence as civ and ctr, i know MOST if not ALL contractors work twice as hard as their fed conterparts and DO NOT deserve a pay cut.
This whole "tripwire" thing is because the government and its great thinking said that no contractor could/should be more qualified than a government person, therefore, they should not be paid the same as a government employee. If you are qualified and have the skill set, what does it really matter what you are paid? This is just another example of Big Brother.

Christy

b*tch rocket
This whole "tripwire" thing is because the government and its great thinking said that no contractor could/should be more qualified than a government person, therefore, they should not be paid the same as a government employee. If you are qualified and have the skill set, what does it really matter what you are paid? This is just another example of Big Brother.

I am a tripwire victim. :bawl: :cds:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The new Bob's Furniture in the dorf in hiring, you could sell sofas. :shrug:

That is about an hour from me. Not that that would be a problem if it were a decent paying job, but someplace called "Bobs Furniture Outlet" or whatever doesn't project itself as paying more than minimum wage.

That is about an hour from me. Not that that would be a problem if it were a decent paying job, but someplace called "Bobs Furniture Outlet" or whatever doesn't project itself as paying more than minimum wage.

But being Bob's wife I say they should cut you a check without you having to show up...:shrug: