Seriously? This is “racist” now?

rmorse

I grew up playing this game and I still play this game with my friends. If you look at it, you lose. It used to be that you got punched. Now it’s that you have to drink.

This is asinine.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We need to stop with this nonsense. The progs make up stupid crap and now people are being punished for their imaginary racism?

rmorse

What game are you talking about?

I found this:

The game is literally to make your friend look at your hand when you're making that symbol. So I might be like "hey dude, you dropped this" and reach down and pretend to pick something up but instead make the symbol. If my friend looks at the symbol then I get to punch him in the arm. I'm 32...we used to do this all the time at 15-20 years old. After we started drinking, it turned into a drinking game where you have to drink if you get tricked into looking at the symbol.

There's TONS of photos of me and my friends where we're being sly about it and making the symbol. It was never a white power symbol. And this is a game that was/is played almost everywhere in the states.

rmorse

I will bet dollars to donuts that that's just a kid who is playing that game and trying to "get" the whole country at once. Like I said, we used to do it sly in pictures so if someone is looking at the picture later and notices, then they lose.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I grew up playing this game and I still play this game with my friends. If you look at it, you lose. It used to be that you got punched. Now it’s that you have to drink.
I've avoided that game for two decades now. I had to look up if anyone has ever really used that as a "white power" symbol and the answer seems to be maybe. It seems that the rumor has been around long enough that some people have decided to use it. What caught my eye most though, the shocker is now the hand sign for the aryan brotherhood of Texas.

rmorse

Oh. I've did a lot of drinking games during my stupid years but I never heard of that one. Thanks for responding.

Here you go...there’s urban dictionary entries dating back to 2010 on the game. It’s been around since I was a kid and even made it to a Malcom in the Middle episode.

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, there's some confusion over weather 4chan decided to out it's use by white power bozos, or if 4chan put it out there first, and the WP folks just sort of said, yeah, thya's cool lets all do that. Given todays climate of increased irony and BS, I think it's safe to bet on the latter explanation.

SamSpade

I will bet dollars to donuts that that's just a kid who is playing that game and trying to "get" the whole country at once. Like I said, we used to do it sly in pictures so if someone is looking at the picture later and notices, then they lose.

I have a shot in my senior year high school year book where I'm flipping a knuckle - and no one ever caught it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The progs make up stupid crap and now people are being punished for their imaginary racism?

4Chan trolled a bunch of SJW's over the 'OK' Finger sign ....

SPLC Take: Is that an OK sign? A white power symbol? Or just a right-wing troll?

now Video Game Companies ban it from live streams, Youtube will delete a video as 'racist'

https://www.mic.com/articles/191339/hurricane-florence-coast-guard-member-removed-from-response-team

just like the 'NPC Meme' however ...
if you followed the meaning behind the NPC meme you find it fits SJW's in there 'BOT' like response to everything that offends them

npcmeme.0.jpg

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/23/17991274/npc-meme-4chan-press-coverage-viral

Anti Defamation League says 'OK' hand sign not a white supremacist hate symbol

Last edited:

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
We need to stop with this nonsense. The progs make up stupid crap and now people are being punished for their imaginary racism?
Yeah. This is ridiculous. Regardless of origin, this is definitely just another case of The Left, Inc. trying to control the narrative, language, etc. Make stuff up as they go along to keep tightening the noose (can I say that?) around their Culture War opponents' collective neck.

Not arguing that hand gestures can mean different things to different people. As part of a career abroad in many diverse cultures I had to learn a bit about hand gestures! And it's amazing what one finds out. Here are a few examples I came across (or lived). You may know of many more....

The "O-K" gesture the OP addresses still means "a hole" in Germany.

Point to your head thinking you're saying "Think, (wo)man!" and you're telling a German (s)he's crazy. Seems like a relatively tame gesture (even if you meant "crazy" and not "think"), but Germans don't find it at all tame. Probably not as extreme these days as earlier, but back in the 1980s I witnessed the Polizei being called (and a complaint registered) for this!

If you were in Athens and gave a Greek the "speak to the hand" gesture (all fingers extended, palm away from you) you stood a very good chance of winding up in the hospital (it's far worse than the middle finger). The situation I was involved in (I took part in the follow-up investigation) almost resulted in several deaths!

If you were in Turkey and gave someone the "snail" gesture (thumb between index and middle fingers) that's "F you."

Our "Peace sign" reversed (index and middle fingers extended, palm to you) still means "F you" in England.

Bottom line, these are long-established cultural hand gestures. This Cubs' thing may be true (in the sense the kid doing it meant what the Cubs said he meant; hope the Cubs investigated before banning him. Lawsuit, anyone?), but in the absence of anything substantive it remains to me an artificial, contrived, and transparent uproar in an attempt to control and silence speech The Left, Inc doesn't like.

--- End of line (MCP)

@Yooper
While all true, this is America, the guy knew there was a network camera on him, the announcer was black and he decided to be an ass. It was clearly intended as an attempt at a racist statement whether the symbol was racist or not.

Toxick

Splat
Stupidest ****ing thing I've ever heard.

That's clearly a gotcher-neck ploy. I play that with my kids.
When I was in school, looking at that gesture would land you a free punch in the face.

Also I have a black friend who was part of a black fraternity - they call themselves Nupes.... I forget what the greek letters are (No, it's not lambda lambda lambda) - literally every picture he or his frat brothers appear in, they make that gesture.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Also I have a black friend who was part of a black fraternity - they call themselves Nupes.... I forget what the greek letters are (No, it's not lambda lambda lambda) - literally every picture he or his frat brothers appear in, they make that gesture.

A whole fraternity of Black White Supremacists? :yikes:

:jameo: