sharkstooth island

lmor

Is there a small island in the Potomac that is a popular boating destination? It may be called Sharkstooth Island. I understand kids have fun finding fossils. Can you give me directions to boat there from Cobb Island or the coordinates for finding it on a navigation chart? Thanks

wineo

loving life
Is there a small island in the Potomac that is a popular boating destination? It may be called Sharkstooth Island. I understand kids have fun finding fossils. Can you give me directions to boat there from Cobb Island or the coordinates for finding it on a navigation chart? Thanks

Not sure, but it closer to the VA side. Use to go there all the time as a kid, neighbor of my sister, goes there all the time.

Sorry can't help you

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Isn't it straight across from St. Clements Island on the Va side?
Yes. At the mouth of Nomini Bay. It is privately owned though and if the owners are on it, you'll get a less than friendly greeting.

Blue_eyes

From what i understand its more directly from Tall timbers md. A co worker who owns a home on the northern neck of va says that she takes her kids there and they picnic on the beach and make a day of it. The owner came up once and started to fuss with them, her friend pulled out a half bottle of jack daniels and gave it to the owner and he was fine with it.

i hear its a great place to beach your boat, hang out, and tan naked.

What more could one want?

Last edited:

jenbengen

Watch it
From what i understand its more directly from Tall timbers md. A co worker who owns a home on the northern neck of va says that she takes her kids there and they picnic on the beach and make a day of it. The owner came up once and started to fuss with them, her friend pulled out a half bottle of jack daniels and gave it to the owner and he was fine with it.

i hear its a great place to beach your boat, hang out, and tan naked.

What more could one want?

I've been wanting to check it out, too. Didn't realize we had to deal with owners! That's unfortunate.

Callie girl

I've been a couple times and found tons of sharks teeth. I love it, it's never crowded. But I am with Lusbymom our brother drives so not sure. I know if you leave out of Abell's Wharf it's to the left more towards VA. Sorry :shrug:

poster

It is directly across the river from Clements. It's hard to see from a distance because it blends with the shore behind it and there are trees on it. My family has been going there for years. It is privately owned and well marked for no tresspassing. The owner is NOT friendly. I have been told that summer passes/memberships are available - how they are obtained I don't know. Rumer is owner works at the island's local post office, not sure if true and I don't know the name of the va. town it's near, sorry.

My suggestion, go very early in the AM- just after high tide is best for tooth searching. The larger teeth tend to be found in the dry sandy areas but if you sit at the water with a toy strainer you can find several in one place. Swimming from the beach is very nice for the kids there's a good bottom there. Also in the cliffs behind the island are large (size of your hand) flat shells that wash out of the cliff. If you can get near it and walk along on a low tide they're laying all over the bottom in about knee deep water.

Last edited: