Shawn Hornbeck

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Christy said:
Anyone watching?
I'm about halfway through, I had to pause for awhile. He looks broken, insecure, embarrassed, sad...I hope he can lead a normal life.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Nickel said:
I'm about halfway through, I had to pause for awhile. He looks broken, insecure, embarrassed, sad...I hope he can lead a normal life.

I have a tv in the background at work but I havent been paying too much attention to it cause I want to watch at home, but i agree with you. I feel so bad for Shawn, I would never of drug him on tv so soon.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Actually, I find the interview of hiim to be very thoughtful and carefully orchestrated. He's gone through an unimaginable ordeal, and I think that he's doing quite well and showing great poise for a 13-14 year old.

Of course, there are many things that aren't purposefully being addressed, but what he's said so far seems to indicate a fairly normal teenager looking to get back to an ordinary life with his family.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Nickel said:

I agree. I hope his parents take him out of the limelight for a while. He definitely looks very uncomfortable with the attention.

Christy

b*tch rocket
BadGirl said:
Actually, I find the interview of hiim to be very thoughtful and carefully orchestrated. He's gone through an unimaginable ordeal, and I think that he's doing quite well and showing great poise for a 13-14 year old.

Of course, there are many things that aren't purposefully being addressed, but what he's said so far seems to indicate a fairly normal teenager looking to get back to an ordinary life with his family.

Oh I think it's thoughtful, but he's still uncomfortable (IMHO).

I'd say "normal teenager" is a bit of a stretch though. :shrug: He's all kinds of messed up, poor kid.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Christy said:
I agree. I hope his parents take him out of the limelight for a while. He definitely looks very uncomfortable with the attention.
Definitely. As much as everyone wants to know what happened, we can all pretty much draw our own conclusions and leave it at that. I think by not making him talk about it until he's ready, he might have a chance at "getting back to normal". His sadness is palpable, I tear up just looking at him...unfortunately he'll probably have to testify at his kidnapper's trial, which won't be easy for him.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
$$$$$ He maybe uncomfortable, but this is probably a cake walk compared to what he had to do to survive the last 5 years.

I can't blame the parents, it seems they gave or lost everything in the search for their son, hopefully they are getting a hefty sum from Oprah for the interview and it will help the family get off the ground again.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Christy said:
Oh I think it's thoughtful, but he's still uncomfortable (IMHO).

I'd say "normal teenager" is a bit of a stretch though. :shrug: He's all kinds of messed up, poor kid.
Of course he's uncomfortable. He's just returned hom after four years away from his family, he's been held captive and who knows what's been done to him by his captor, he's not had any normal childhood friendships, etc. I think anybody - and not just him - would have a "deer in the headlights" look to them. I still think that he's doing remarkably well considering his prediciment.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
itsbob said:
$$$$$ He maybe uncomfortable, but this is probably a cake walk compared to what he had to do to survive the last 5 years.

I can't blame the parents, it seems they gave or lost everything in the search for their son, hopefully they are getting a hefty sum from Oprah for the interview and it will help the family get off the ground again.
I didn't think that Oprah "pays" her guests for interviews.

Perhaps she's making a large "donation" to help pay for their counseling. :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
Interesting article from Newsweek...Odd Parallels

The sister of a boy freed from a kidnapper after seven years details the difficulties ahead for Shawn Hornbeck.
I can't believe that the man who kidnapped Steven was only sentenced to 5 years initially. He'd held that poor boy prisoner for longer than that. :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
kwillia said:
Interesting article from Newsweek...Odd Parallels

The sister of a boy freed from a kidnapper after seven years details the difficulties ahead for Shawn Hornbeck.

Shawn and his family are in for a rough time and I hope they can heal their family. It's amazing how closely the two stories are. I remember watching Steven's story on TV and was shocked and saddened any kid ever went through that. :frown:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
I can't believe that the man who kidnapped Steven was only sentenced to 5 years initially. He'd held that poor boy prisoner for longer than that. :ohwell:
That was before the laws were changed. I remember the case pretty well because I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area where this took place.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
RoseRed said:
That was before the laws were changed. I remember the case pretty well because I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area where this took place.
Yeah, but even if he was only charged with kidnapping, you'd think that common sense would dictate that his punishment lasted longer than the kidnapping did.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
Yeah, but even if he was only charged with kidnapping, you'd think that common sense would dictate that his punishment lasted longer than the kidnapping did.

One would think. Parnell also went on to chop the arms off a a teenaged girl. Sick emeffer.