Shedding Lab

Bgirl22

I have a wonderful black lab, but she sheds like there is no tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to control the shedding or is it something Iam going to have to deal with.:wink:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Well right now is the time to blow the coat...my dawg is very hirsute thu so it is really rough on me - right now I am wearing fur too! However, if it continues to be a problem after the coat gets blown out for the season, you might want to check the Fosters & Smith catalog for additives to supplement your dog's diet to maintain a healthy coat. Labs in general don't shed that much.

pupseeker

My mother has a lab, and they are notorious for shedding. Even though they are short-haired, they blow their coat twice a year. Labradors have surprisingly thick coats, when you just look at them they don't seem so dense. But you must remember what this breed was developed for: to retrieve through bush and water. This requires a warm, thick coat to insulate and protect.
Okay, for the shedding. Giving your pooch a bath will help short term because the immediately shedding hair will be washed off. But in a day or two more hair will start dropping. Brushing really helps. The more you get on the brush, the less you get in your house and on you. Brush, brush, brush! Really you have to suck it up and wait it out. If your pup is black, plan on wearing black clothes for a while:biggrin: and throw a cover sheet over any furniture she is allowed on. I agree with the other reply: if this continues past May, maybe June, you might want to talk to your vet and check the catalogs for shedding-control supplements, but I am not sure how effective they are as I have never used them. So brush her a lot, have patience, and good luck.

Sierra39

Hairball Magnet
Wear all black, put in black rugs, buy black upholstered furniture, etc. You're fighting a losing battle! :biggrin:

But on a more helpful note...

I like using the round rubber horse currys with soft pointed teeth – and the dogs love it, too! Followed by the shedding blade and brush. About once a week makes a noticable difference; might need to do it more during MAJOR coat blow-out! If your dog will tolerate it, a canister vacuum with an upholstery attachment works great! Adding about 1/4 cup of corn oil to their dry dog food is a cheap coat supplement and works just as well as the expensive stuff.

I feel your pain! (Check out my subtitle!) :cheers:

K

Kizzy

If your dog will tolerate it, a canister vacuum with an upholstery attachment works great!

:lol:

I had a lab for 10 years that each time you had the upholstery attachment and vacuum on, he came and stood there expecting to be vacuumed. He loved it. Now on the other hand, my Jack Russell will bit the vacuum cleaner if it gets near him.