Shelter Dogs, a different POV

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Ehesef
It has more to do with the fact that because of the bad press, people are more likely to look over the pit's.

Regardless, they're a kill shelter anyway. All dogs should be given an rqual amount of time to be adopted. Besides these people are suppose to be somewhat educated about animals. You'll never hear a dog expert say a bad thing about Pit Bulls. Bad Press or not they should know better.

It's all politics. Employees there have no problem getting them. I know this to be factual information. Yet when I worked for an animal hospital that provided cruelty assesments for the shelter I was not allowed to adopt an abused dog because he was a Pit.

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by cattitude
Exactly. It's called being realistic. While I don't necessarily agree with it, Shelters (not rescue groups) have to cull their animals. As sad as it is, they cannot afford to spend money on animals that they feel are going to present problems either in behavior or health.
:yeahthat: Shelters aren't known to have an abundance of operating capital. It may sound cruel, but if you want to help as many dogs as you can, why spend the money helping pitbulls (behavior wise, health wise, what have you) when, because of the bad press, they will probably not be adopted, therefore eating up money that could go towards helping other dogs that have a better chance of being adopted. It's not right, but thats how it works. Like catt said, Shelters have to cull the animals.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Exactly. It's called being realistic. While I don't necessarily agree with it, Shelters (not rescue groups) have to cull their animals. As sad as it is, they cannot afford to spend money on animals that they feel are going to present problems either in behavior or health.

They don't tempermant test ANY of their animals. Call them and ask them.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Originally posted by Ehesef
:yeahthat: Shelters aren't known to have an abundance of operating capital. It may sound cruel, but if you want to help as many dogs as you can, why spend the money helping pitbulls (behavior wise, health wise, what have you) when, because of the bad press, they will probably not be adopted, therefore eating up money that could go towards helping other dogs that have a better chance of being adopted. It's not right, but thats how it works. Like catt said, Shelters have to cull the animals.

The Tri County shelter spends VERY LITTLE money on health issues. If an animal is sick or hurt it's put down. No money on behavior testing or modification. There is no excuse. And the fact that people don't want them is opinion. Last summer I went in there and played with a Pit mix that they called a Boxer mix. The staff memeber told me that I was the 3rd person to take him out that day (and it was only like 11 am) and there was one person that had already filled out paperwork for him and he wasn't even available for like 3 or 4 more days.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by pixiegirl
They don't tempermant test ANY of their animals. Call them and ask them.

It doesn't matter, Pixie. They're doing the best with what they have. Did you know the put down ugly dogs and cats too? Also put down old dogs and cats. I realize you like Pits. I like Shepherds, some shelters kill them too. I spent a lot of time volunteering at a shelter and fostering animals. When you do that, you change your tune about the ones you can save. Unfortunately, there are very limited resources for animal shelters, what do you expect them to do?

Christy

b*tch rocket
The Tri County shelter spends VERY LITTLE money on health issues. If an animal is sick or hurt it's put down. No money on behavior testing or modification. There is no excuse. And the fact that people don't want them is opinion.

Is Tri County taxpayer funded? :confused: If so, I can understand doing the bare minimum. I would say their responsibilty lies in rounding up strays and keeping them long enough for an owner to find them. JMHO :shrug:

I'm big on privately funded rescue leagues, shelters etc...

I want my own dog shelter. :tantrum: :bawl:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
The Tri County shelter spends VERY LITTLE money on health issues. If an animal is sick or hurt it's put down. No money on behavior testing or modification. There is no excuse. And the fact that people don't want them is opinion. Last summer I went in there and played with a Pit mix that they called a Boxer mix. The staff memeber told me that I was the 3rd person to take him out that day (and it was only like 11 am) and there was one person that had already filled out paperwork for him and he wasn't even available for like 3 or 4 more days.
That's probably because they have very little money to spend on health issues.

So then how are pitbulls allowed to be outlawed if everyone is rushing out to get one? Certainly they wouldn't pass laws or allow them to continue being enforced if no one supported them?

R

razmataz10_99

I hate to say it, but I agree with Cat. They have to work with the little bit of money they are given. Unfortunately that does mean putting down some dogs that would make great pets. If you want to help, you could always donate money to these organizations.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by Christy
Is Tri County taxpayer funded? :confused: If so, I can understand doing the bare minimum. I would say their responsibilty lies in rounding up strays and keeping them long enough for an owner to find them. JMHO :shrug:

I'm big on privately funded rescue leagues, shelters etc...

I want my own dog shelter. :tantrum: :bawl:

Yes, Christy, it is. It is a shelter not a rescue. They do, however, contact rescue groups to take dogs. They have given several GSD (and mixes) to MAGSR. They also contact Calvert Humane to take the pits/pit mixes as well as other pit rescue groups. Unfortunately, rescues run mostly off of what they can raise as a non-profit organization and most rescues are full and they can't take all of the animals that shelters cannot house. They simply have to draw the line somewhere.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
It doesn't matter, Pixie. They're doing the best with what they have. Did you know the put down ugly dogs and cats too? Also put down old dogs and cats. I realize you like Pits. I like Shepherds, some shelters kill them too. I spent a lot of time volunteering at a shelter and fostering animals. When you do that, you change your tune about the ones you can save. Unfortunately, there are very limited resources for animal shelters, what do you expect them to do?

Ok to go off yours and what Christy asked. Tri County is publicly funded yes? Then maybe in times of need when they have no space I can see picking and chosing. If they have kennels available then they should absolutely be put up for adoption just like all the rest. It's not just about Pits. They do it to Rotties too and I'm not a huge fan of them. You don't see me griping about privately owned shelters doing this. But Tri County should be held responsible.

What do you think is going to be adopted faster an 8 week old Pit Bull puppy (fd's was there and going to be euthanized) or a 5 year old mut? Puppies go very fast out of shelters no matter what breed they are.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Unfortunately, rescues run mostly off of what they can raise as a non-profit organization and most rescues are full and they can't take all of the animals that shelters cannot house. They simply have to draw the line somewhere.

Well then we need to open up our very own animal rescue/club med. :lol: See, we could probably get good funding with all our connections on here. Heck, we could host forum parties to raise oodles of money, to support our pooches. :yay:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Ok to go off yours and what Christy asked. Tri County is publicly funded yes? Then maybe in times of need when they have no space I can see picking and chosing. If they have kennels available then they should absolutely be put up for adoption just like all the rest. It's not just about Pits. They do it to Rotties too and I'm not a huge fan of them. You don't see me griping about privately owned shelters doing this. But Tri County should be held responsible.

What do you think is going to be adopted faster an 8 week old Pit Bull puppy (fd's was there and going to be euthanized) or a 5 year old mut? Puppies go very fast out of shelters no matter what breed they are.
It still comes down to the money issue. Rotties are big dogs, I can understand the fear factor there too. Can someone tell me how often Tri-County has open kennels? Just curious...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy

FD's is hearing impaired, right? That is a consideration. They have a small budget. SHELTERS are not in the business of holding animals. They have to make generalizations...pitts..ugly dogs, old cats, cats with one eye. Will some of these make good pets...sure. But shelters simply don't have the funds to house these animals, pay for vet care, temperment testing, etc.

Tri County Shelter has come a long way...a very long way..in the last 10 years. I'm still not a fan, but I've been involved in the "animal" business for a long time. I spent a lot of time working with Montgomery County Humane Society which is not a kill shelter, nor is it a no-kill shelter. It was case-by-case. I was amazed when I saw their budget, just for one animal. Many vets will give discounts to the organization but the cost is still outrageous.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
http://www.charlescounty.org/es/animalcontrol/

Tri County's policy is that they do not adopt out pitbulls. The do not euthanize all of the pits that they get and they do some limited temperment testing. Most are sent to rescue groups that they work with. The Rotties are not euthanized generally unless deemed to be unadoptable. They do adopt out the Rotties. They hold all dogs (unless owner giveups) for 6 days.