Shingles

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I got shingles a couple years ago (Over 60) I went to the ER and they gave me some stuff that eventually cleared it up. Took a while though. Went to Dr. when it was all cleared up and he prescribed the vaccine. I went to St Mary's Pharmacy in Leonardtown to order it and pay for it. They informed me that they had it in stock and that my ins. (BC/BS) was going to pay for it. :yahoo: I got it and took it right to my Dr. and they gave it to me.. Hope the hell it works. That is some bad stuff.. Good luck.

belvak

Happy Camper
I got shingles a couple years ago (Over 60) I went to the ER and they gave me some stuff that eventually cleared it up. Took a while though. Went to Dr. when it was all cleared up and he prescribed the vaccine. I went to St Mary's Pharmacy in Leonardtown to order it and pay for it. They informed me that they had it in stock and that my ins. (BC/BS) was going to pay for it. :yahoo: I got it and took it right to my Dr. and they gave it to me.. Hope the hell it works. That is some bad stuff.. Good luck.

When you got the vaccine from the pharmacy, did it have to be refrigerated? Did it have a fast expiration date?

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
When you got the vaccine from the pharmacy, did it have to be refrigerated? Did it have a fast expiration date?

Yes, that is why I took it right to the Dr.s office. The Pharmacist asked me if I wanted her to give it to me. I just went to my Dr. I am very impressed with St. Mary's Pharmacy.. I was surprised they had it.. Most places have to order it..

NRIT

Frequent Flier: or anyone else who knows someone who has come down with Shingles:

Out of curiosity - how old is the employee who came down with shingles? I am taking a poll. MY doctor said she won't write me a prescription for the Shingles vaccine, BECAUSE the medical guidance says it's only recommended for people over 60, OR people with weakened/compromised immune systems: (i.e., HIV, Diabetes, etc. ).

I am 54 in a month. THREE people where I work have had Shingles in the past 3 years I've been there. 2 were under age 60. (close to it) My Ex-BIL had Shingles about 10 years ago and I am certain he was in his 30's.

I have been talking to people and all of the (albeit anecdotal evidence, as I don't know their immune deficiencies, etc.) indications I'm seeing is that many, many people under the age of 60, even 50 are coming down with Shingles.

I have a high deductible health plan - I would be paying out of pocket for the vaccine (about $200.00 right now) but to me, that is MUCH LESS than having to be off work without enough sick leave to cover a 2-4 or more leave of absence, depending on the severity of my case. Everyone I know who worked with me has taken off a LOT of time. Weeks.

My argument is that I am only 6 years from 60. I have had a super enormous amount of stress in the past 3 years due to family illness & deaths, not to mention the normal load of caretaking of a DD family member, etc. I think the Dr. should prescribe it unless there is some serious medical reason why I should not get it.

So - how many people know people who had Shingles? What was their age, and if you know -was their immune system compromised?

TIA!
:popcorn:

You do not necessarily have to have a known immune system compromise. Like you said large amounts of longterm stress can bring it on. I had it when I was 15. Dr actually gave us a little known tip of using burn gel over the spots and area. It creates a coating and prevents itching and pain... If you were to get it it can definitely scar... It wasnt anything that couldnt be handled, especially with the burn gel. Try seeing a different dr. They are supposed to listen and so whats best for you. Sounds like a hard head. Good luck!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
THANK YOU everyone for your replies - keep them coming please!

Baykat - the pharmacirs all have them - they require a docotor's prescription.

I just called the Calvert Co Health Dept. - they will NOT administer the vaccine to anyone under age 60.

:burning: I am trying to be freaking proactive and the general guidance seems to thwart this. My doctor's ofc even said "well , if you signs of it - make an appt & we will diagnose it and give you the shot to stop it". Ok - that's stupid!! In that case - I would have the itchies, possibly get a bacterial infection which would entail medication & time off from work - not to mention the cost of the antiviral med.

Makes no sense.

dachsom

I had shingles when I was 51. Turns out, even though painful, they saved my life. The dr. felt I was too young to get shingles and something else had to be going on. After a complete work up, turned out I had two malignant tumors in my breast. Things are well now and I never miss a mammogram.

Last edited:
My daughter's MIL had them right before she turned 60. She had just made an appt to get the shot (since she had to wait until she was 60).. Not sure if she had any issues with her immune system.. Also a male friend recently had them also... he is in early 60s and has other health issues

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
I had shingles in my early 40's (47 now). Out of work for 2 weeks in excruciating pain with a 6" wide band of blisters on my left side from my belly button to spine. :frown:

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
I had shingles in my early 40's (47 now). Out of work for 2 weeks in excruciating pain with a 6" wide band of blisters on my left side from my belly button to spine. :frown:

I was lucky. I showed it to my wife and she recognized it from when her father had em.. That is why we went to the ER and had it checked for sure.. Got early treatment before it got any worse.. Still took months to get rid of em... They are no fun for sure..

MarieB

My mom has had shingles 3 or 4 times. I think she was in her early 40's the first time.

If I am going through a stressful time, I try to take l-lysine to avoid getting cold sores. I've heard that some people also take it to hopefully decrease their risk of gettng shingles.

From the CDC

At this time, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of shingles vaccine in persons 50 through 59 years old. However, the vaccine is approved by FDA for people in this age group.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

NextJen

Raisin cane
I had a female co-worker suffer with shingles twice. Once when she was in her mid 30's, they were on her left side, then the last time she got them, at around 40 or early 40's, she had them on her face. She was out of work for about a week or so each time. She is always under tremendous stress at home and at work. No other known health problems that I am aware of.

My BF got them not long after I met him. He was 46 at the time. No health problems. They were on his left side from his spine around his neck and onto his face around his ear. Excruciating pain. He was out of work for about a week. He says that he still experiences some numbness in that area and it has been 4 years since he had them.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
It took over a year for mine to fully go away and I just had a mild case. I am saying a mild case because I researched it and some of the pictures I saw were unbelievable. People get them in the eyes, mouth and just about anywhere. I think I caught mine in the early stages and got meds to fight it.. I still got the vaccine though. Don't want them back. Just hope the vaccine works..

frequentflier

happy to be living
My mom has had shingles 3 or 4 times. I think she was in her early 40's the first time.

If I am going through a stressful time, I try to take l-lysine to avoid getting cold sores. I've heard that some people also take it to hopefully decrease their risk of gettng shingles.

From the CDC

At this time, CDC does not have a recommendation for routine use of shingles vaccine in persons 50 through 59 years old. However, the vaccine is approved by FDA for people in this age group.

Vaccines: VPD-VAC/Shingles/Shingles (Herpes zoster) Vaccination: What You Need to Know

I take l-lysine a lot if I feel a cold sore coming on. It really does help!

Bann

PREMO Member

From the CDC

Thanks to everyone for their anecdotal information! I will pass this on to my doctor when she contacts me. I will also pass on the CDC and FDA information, to let her know I, too, have been researching and "edumacating" myself on the subject, so I can make an informed choice for myself.

MarieB - I was reading further at the CDC link you provided and they have a FAQ sheet - which I pulled up. And right under #1 "What is Shingles?" it has this paragraph:
"Shingles is far more common in people 50 years of age and older than in younger people. It is also more common in people whose immune systems are weakened because of a disease such as cancer, or
drugs such as steroids or chemotherapy.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-shingles.pdf

For the life of me, I don't get why, if it's more common in people over 50, that they don't recommend the vaccine for people over 50?! :lol: Makes no sense to me. I *guess* it's because the clinical trials of the vaccine only included people over age 60. Anyhoo, I will update when I talk to my doctor!

MarieB

Thanks to everyone for their anecdotal information! I will pass this on to my doctor when she contacts me. I will also pass on the CDC and FDA information, to let her know I, too, have been researching and "edumacating" myself on the subject, so I can make an informed choice for myself.

MarieB - I was reading further at the CDC link you provided and they have a FAQ sheet - which I pulled up. And right under #1 "What is Shingles?" it has this paragraph:

For the life of me, I don't get why, if it's more common in people over 50, that they don't recommend the vaccine for people over 50?! :lol: Makes no sense to me. I *guess* it's because the clinical trials of the vaccine only included people over age 60. Anyhoo, I will update when I talk to my doctor!

I know. I saw that and should have quoted it.

I noticed the clinical trials only covered 60 and over, so maybe that is the reason

animalluvr4life

animal luvr

I myself was just diagnosed with the shingles today I have them in my scalp the worst place to have them for trying to sleep or brush hair or anything touching the head. The constant excruciatiing pain also sucks too. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. I just hope it doesn't continue to spread but i was told to keep an eye on things and if they do i got to go back into the doctor again

RPMDAD

I myself was just diagnosed with the shingles today I have them in my scalp the worst place to have them for trying to sleep or brush hair or anything touching the head. The constant excruciatiing pain also sucks too. I don't wish this on my worst enemy. I just hope it doesn't continue to spread but i was told to keep an eye on things and if they do i got to go back into the doctor again

Did they give you anything at all for it??

Bann

PREMO Member

:huggy: I'm so sorry. I hope they don't last a long time.