Shockey to New Orleans

BuddyLee

Football addict
New Orleans gets TE Shockey.

New York gets 2nd round and 5th round picks next year.

Sounds like New York got the better end of the deal. Good fit for New Orleans though.

jackers

I am a Saints fan so I am be a little partial....

I couldn't be happier over this. I think a 2nd and a 5th would have been fine when we first offered it (before the draft) because we picked 10th overall. Now, as a Saints fan, I think we definitely improved this off-season which should drop the value of that 2nd quite substantially.

With Sed Ellis and Jon Vilma, our run stuffing jumped up a notch. Add in Bobby McCray from Jax and we have three really good DEs. Will Smith made the Probowl two years ago and McCray had double digit sacks two years ago as well. We brought in a new D-line coach who is known for exotic blitz packages and constant pressure. Our D-line philosophy in the past has been run containment since we had to face the major running teams in the NFC South....Vick and ATL used to lead the league in rushing, not to mention Tampa and Carolina always pack a potent rushing attack. Well from our players and the coaches press conferences it seems like these guys will be bringing a lot more pressure than before because of Sed Ellis and Vilma plugging the middle.

With Shockey in there our passing AND running game instantly improved. I am very excited about the Saints this year and can't wait to see them play in Washington on September 14th!

BuddyLee

Football addict
I am a Saints fan so I am be a little partial....

I couldn't be happier over this. I think a 2nd and a 5th would have been fine when we first offered it (before the draft) because we picked 10th overall. Now, as a Saints fan, I think we definitely improved this off-season which should drop the value of that 2nd quite substantially.

With Sed Ellis and Jon Vilma, our run stuffing jumped up a notch. Add in Bobby McCray from Jax and we have three really good DEs. Will Smith made the Probowl two years ago and McCray had double digit sacks two years ago as well. We brought in a new D-line coach who is known for exotic blitz packages and constant pressure. Our D-line philosophy in the past has been run containment since we had to face the major running teams in the NFC South....Vick and ATL used to lead the league in rushing, not to mention Tampa and Carolina always pack a potent rushing attack. Well from our players and the coaches press conferences it seems like these guys will be bringing a lot more pressure than before because of Sed Ellis and Vilma plugging the middle.

With Shockey in there our passing AND running game instantly improved. I am very excited about the Saints this year and can't wait to see them play in Washington on September 14th!

I'd like to see the Saints succeed and play good ball.:yay:

One of my concerns I have with the Saints, which was blatant last season was their pass defense. I hope they figure that out.

Hope to see you at the game on the 14th.:howdy:

Go G-Men

New Orleans gets TE Shockey.

New York gets 2nd round and 5th round picks next year.

Sounds like New York got the better end of the deal. Good fit for New Orleans though.

As a Giant fan I am okay with this trade. We have Kevin Boss who looked good after Shockey got hurt last year and you can never have too many draft picks.

BuddyLee

Football addict
As a Giant fan I am okay with this trade. We have Kevin Boss who looked good after Shockey got hurt last year and you can never have too many draft picks.
I'd be glad to get rid of Shockey if I were a Giants fan. I'd also be glad for the draft picks.

I wouldn't be happy that I have the talent of a Kevin Boss over a Jeremy Shockey though. I think the Giants just lost another step in the talent pool. Maybe Boss will prove me wrong though.

Go G-Men

I'd be glad to get rid of Shockey if I were a Giants fan. I'd also be glad for the draft picks.

I wouldn't be happy that I have the talent of a Kevin Boss over a Jeremy Shockey though. I think the Giants just lost another step in the talent pool. Maybe Boss will prove me wrong though.

Boss is no Shockey but a quiet get to work Boss is better than a #####in Shockey on this Giants team. I loved to watch Shockey Play but since he has been hurt he has been a distraction that I would rather not have a round..

jackers

I'd like to see the Saints succeed and play good ball.:yay:

One of my concerns I have with the Saints, which was blatant last season was their pass defense. I hope they figure that out.

Hope to see you at the game on the 14th.:howdy:

Absolutely see you there!

I still don't see where the Saints overpaid for him??? And it seems that every sports announcer and reporter agree with me. If it wasn't too much before the draft how is it too much now?

If anything, a second and a sixth was too much for a guy who only wants to play a year or two.

Rael

Supper's Ready
The Giants without Tiki will be bad.
The Giants without Shockey will be bad.

I've heard both of these in commentary seemingly over and over, and were both proven wrong. I like Shockey as a firestarter and tight end for the Giants, but I didn't see him playing to his full potential last year.

Not Shockeyed (har har) at all by this trade, and like what the G-men got out of it.

jackers

Let me clear up my stance. I think this trade is GREAT for both teams. Giants got good value with the draft picks, the Saints got the talent they needed at TE.

The Saints have often suffered against the Tampa-2 defense because they had nobody to eat the middle of the field. Shockey will fill that void. Him playing in Payton's offense is a much better fit than the Coughlin block first assignments. Payton was his coach when he was drafted and that year was rookie of the year.

Like I said, this is win-win.

BuddyLee

Football addict
If anything, a second and a sixth was too much for a guy who only wants to play a year or two.
Not under the circumstances. Besides, he has already said he'd fulfill his current contract which is at least two years...maybe more after, we'll see.

yankee44

I am good with this trade but I wish the Giants would have done it when the Saints first offered the deal (witch was before the draft) that way we would see the benefits now instead of next year.

GSXR_MOE

Adding Diversity to SOMD
I do not like this trade as a Carolina Panther fan... Shockey will only make the NO offense that much better.... My beloved Panthers are going to have to deal with the Shockey, Colston and Bush combo twice a year and that concerns me...:frown:

donbarzini

Recipe for a dish called "Foosball Disaster":

Take the City of New Orleans

Add 1 Jeremy Shockey

Wait 3 months

Call Shockey's lawyer to find a rehab unit to put him in.

Cut your losses.