Shoppers supermarkets being sold

TPD

the poor dad
It surprises me how so many talk bad about McKays. How long has McKays been doing business in St Mary’s county? They have survived many grocery store chains that have come and gone. They have survived many other local small businesses. I like McKays and miss their store on Great Mills Road. It is just too far for me to drive to Leonardtown or Hollywood to support them now. I will support them if they buy Shoppers in San Souci.

The Boss

Two Shoppers Officially will be Closing down next year and being sold to MCKAYS on December 18, 2020 in SOMD. They are

Shoppers #2375 – Lexington Park
22599 MacArthur Boulevard, California, MD 20619

Shoppers #2349 – Waldorf
1170 Smallwood Drive W, Waldorf, MD 20603

No closing date has been announced officially yet.

https://www.facebook.com/SouthernMDWxNews/posts/1402499703251917
Your link is different then what was reported on the news yesterday. McKays isn't taking the one in Waldorf .....that's rumored to be a Harris Teeter's.

limblips

PREMO Member
It surprises me how so many talk bad about McKays. How long has McKays been doing business in St Mary’s county? They have survived many grocery store chains that have come and gone. They have survived many other local small businesses. I like McKays and miss their store on Great Mills Road. It is just too far for me to drive to Leonardtown or Hollywood to support them now. I will support them if they buy Shoppers in San Souci.
Woodburns, Great Mills Rd, Wildewood, to name three reasons.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Just because they have survived does not make them the better business or grocery store. They rely on their county name, as someone said good ole boys will continue to shop there. When people talk about the demographics in St. Mary's county they focus on the professional and military community that supports NAVAIR. That's a minority of the people who live in St. Mary's and Southern Calvert Co. There are many families that have lived here for generations that don't have that level of income and their diet and tastes are different. There is a fairly good size immigrant population, that falls into that same category. So when you think of supermarkets or grocery stores, there are niche markets in the area, McKays caters to one, shoppers had it's market.
An advantage McKays has is not having to answer and follow a corporate model which drives up costs.
Giant, Harris, and Aldis are required to carry certain goods. A long time ago, I learned truckers didn't want to make the one way run into St. Mary's and return empty - it wasn't profitable. This caused IGAs to have to deal with empty spots on their shelves and/or out of date products on the shelf (and dairy case). They weren't doing the volume to justify the run south.
McKays can do what they want. With more stores, and willing to accept an even lower profit margin, they can adapt.
It doesn't mean they are better, but that's how they survive the chain stores.

The Boss

Just because they have survived does not make them the better business or grocery store. They rely on their county name, as someone said good ole boys will continue to shop there. When people talk about the demographics in St. Mary's county they focus on the professional and military community that supports NAVAIR. That's a minority of the people who live in St. Mary's and Southern Calvert Co. There are many families that have lived here for generations that don't have that level of income and their diet and tastes are different. There is a fairly good size immigrant population, that falls into that same category. So when you think of supermarkets or grocery stores, there are niche markets in the area, McKays caters to one, shoppers had it's market.
An advantage McKays has is not having to answer and follow a corporate model which drives up costs.
Giant, Harris, and Aldis are required to carry certain goods. A long time ago, I learned truckers didn't want to make the one way run into St. Mary's and return empty - it wasn't profitable. This caused IGAs to have to deal with empty spots on their shelves and/or out of date products on the shelf (and dairy case). They weren't doing the volume to justify the run south.
McKays can do what they want. With more stores, and willing to accept an even lower profit margin, they can adapt.
It doesn't mean they are better, but that's how they survive the chain stores.
You're correct on many of the points you bring up but you must remember the profit margin is around 4 cents on the dollar for Giant and Harris Teeter maybe Food Lion. All have their own distribution Centers and trucks and can get better discounts from suppliers than a small Company like McKays. In the older days Giant had stores in Richmond VA they didn't mind the drive going south and could swing over into St Mary's county .

mitzi

I like McKay's too and always have. The few times over the years I bought something bad, I took it back and got a refund. I've always liked their hot/cold deli and bakery.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My daughter is bummed about Shoppers. She's experimenting with various "cuts" of beef that I never in a millions years, thought she would cook, much less eat. Currently she has a beef heart and she's searching for a good recipe. She also mentioned that she wanted to try tongue. I know the other stores carry such things, but Shoppers must display them more prominently. I think I'll skip any supper invites for a while. :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My daughter is bummed about Shoppers. She's experimenting with various "cuts" of beef that I never in a millions years, thought she would cook, much less eat. Currently she has a beef heart and she's searching for a good recipe. She also mentioned that she wanted to try tongue. I know the other stores carry such things, but Shoppers must display them more prominently. I think I'll skip any supper invites for a while. :lmao:
I'm bummed because I have shopped there for years.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I'm bummed because I have shopped there for years.
It's the most convenient for me, as we have a PO Box at the California post office.
I guess I'll try Giant, since they across from Lowe's and about the same as the Stop and Shop stores back in New England.

PeoplesElbow

It's the most convenient for me, as we have a PO Box at the California post office.
I guess I'll try Giant, since they across from Lowe's and about the same as the Stop and Shop stores back in New England.
Stop and Shop and Giant are owned by the same company, they even have the same weekly ad.

PeoplesElbow

I use to shop at McKays until I started noticing more and more stuff on the shelves that had expired. Finally when I dropped the moldy cheese at customer service and got a funny look I gave up.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I use to shop at McKays until I started noticing more and more stuff on the shelves that had expired. Finally when I dropped the moldy cheese at customer service and got a funny look I gave up.

That is the truth about most grocery stores these days. I shop HT now in Olney. I have taken several items back that I bought. I have taken back moldy cheese, too. I check every item expire date, now. Always, save your receipt, y’all; just in case. Happy shopping.

The Shoppers, here, turned into Giant. The Giant store they left is being renovated into a gym. We, also, have Safeway, and HT that I mentioned. That is a lot of grocery stores for a small area; like Olney. But, now that I think about it...Prince Fred had Food Lion, Giant, and Safeway in a small area, as well. I gave up Safeway and Giant a while back. They were aggravating. No issues with HT, so far. They are very customer friendly.

Last edited: