Shopping your pantry

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Do you guys do this? I have a small kitchen and for the most part figure out a menu for the week, then shop from that, so I don't usually end up with extraneous items hanging around the kitchen. It happens, though. We're moving next weekend so I thought I'd make a list of all the food in the house in the hopes of eating it all (or most) before we hit the road. This is what I've learned: We have about a million Pop Ice popsicles (we don't like them as much as the ones that come in the mesh bag, apparently), too many condiments, an embarrassing amount of various pastas, lots of little "packets" (miso soup, ranch dressing mix, etc), too many spices (most of which I've only used once or not at all), and a few things that I have no recollection of buying (and no idea what purpose I thought they'd serve :lol:).

So, does anyone else go through and use everything up every once in awhile? I will hold my head high and admit that the only time I sort through is during food drives. :lol:

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Do you guys do this? I have a small kitchen and for the most part figure out a menu for the week, then shop from that, so I don't usually end up with extraneous items hanging around the kitchen. It happens, though. We're moving next weekend so I thought I'd make a list of all the food in the house in the hopes of eating it all (or most) before we hit the road. This is what I've learned: We have about a million Pop Ice popsicles (we don't like them as much as the ones that come in the mesh bag, apparently), too many condiments, an embarrassing amount of various pastas, lots of little "packets" (miso soup, ranch dressing mix, etc), too many spices (most of which I've only used once or not at all), and a few things that I have no recollection of buying (and no idea what purpose I thought they'd serve :lol:).

So, does anyone else go through and use everything up every once in awhile? I will hold my head high and admit that the only time I sort through is during food drives. :lol:

I do this a lot. Sometimes when things are bogo and I end up with extras. I always end up throwing something together from the extra stuff.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yep. I always have enough food in my house to feed an army for a week, then I go out and buy something else. :lol: So the last couple of weeks (except for Thanksgiving) have been "eat what ya got". Not sure what to do with 10 packets of Italian dressing mix, though. I'll probably make Crabcake's Italian beef or something.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
So, I have 8 boxes of pasta, but no sauce, and nothing to make sauce with. I'm reminded of this:

:roflmao:

And the rice! :jameo: Short grain rice, long grain rice, white rice (2 boxes!), brown rice, sushi rice. Ugh.

bcp

In My Opinion
I do the cooking, wife does the running around. works well.

I figure out on Saturdays what we will be eating for the week, then we shop that list.

and for the last two weeks, I have managed to cut all meat out of the menue and go basically vegitarian. Wont last, but its been a good change.

I always had too much in the pantry and fridge, and it would go bad long before I used it. Now I shop when I need something, maybe a day or two in advance.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed

I can't even begin to explain to you my pantry/food hoarding tendencies. I have more food in my pantry, refrigerator and freezer to last me about six months. I kid you not. I have almost as much food than a typical small grocery store.

Short of milk, bread, and cheese, I could easily not step foot in to a grocery store for at least six months, and still eat remarkably well.

At least I got it honestly.....my mom was the same way. :biggrin:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
I have a huge pantry that is stocked with a variety of food items, plus other things such as toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, a crock pot, and misc. items that don't get much use. I have a fridge/freezer in the kitchen, and another in the garage. Both are pretty packed with stuff. I grocery shop every week, unless we're supposed to be on vacation/travel. I have way too much food in the house. :lol:

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE

I can't even begin to explain to you my pantry/food hoarding tendencies. I have more food in my pantry, refrigerator and freezer to last me about six months. I kid you not. I have almost as much food than a typical small grocery store.

Short of milk, bread, and cheese, I could easily not step foot in to a grocery store for at least six months, and still eat remarkably well.

At least I got it honestly.....my mom was the same way. :biggrin:

:yay: I like to be able to decide what I want to cook with out having to run to the store very often!

Nanny Pam

Yep. I always have enough food in my house to feed an army for a week, then I go out and buy something else. :lol: So the last couple of weeks (except for Thanksgiving) have been "eat what ya got". Not sure what to do with 10 packets of Italian dressing mix, though. I'll probably make Crabcake's Italian beef or something.

:lol: That's what we're having for dinner. :yay:
On a big Italian roll with swiss cheese.
Oh yeah! :yum:

SoccerMom2

I always stock up on food like its going out of style. Pasta is my weakness. I have every kind you can imagine.

Nanny Pam

I have tried making a menu then going to the store and buying what's on the list. It rarely ever works. I usually come home with WAY more than what's on the list. (Especially when hubby goes with me.)
Men....just like having another kid to raise.

I have tried making a menu then going to the store and buying what's on the list. It rarely ever works. I usually come home with WAY more than what's on the list. (Especially when hubby goes with me.)
Men....just like having another kid to raise.

Always look to see what might be on hand to make a meal out of, but I do keep a stock of some items on hand, plus my emergency supply. I'm not moving yet though. When I do, I don't think there will be much food in the truck. Spices and my chili powders will come along, for sure, tho'.I'm hoping to find food sources when I get there, where ever there may turn out to be.

I have so much pasta that it's embarrassing. Everytime we go to BJ's I am compelled to pick up an industrial sized box of Pasta. :blushing:

I do this with windex and toilet paper too.

Current count of UNOPENED bottles of Windex: 22

Current Count of UNOPENED packs of Toilet Paper: 11 (12 count)

My husband thinks I have a problem. :killingme

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I keep a list hanging on the side of the fridge with an inventory of anything that could be used to make a meal (other than fridge stuff/snacks). The list has all sauces, packets, dinner kits, meats, etc... We have 2 fridges and 1 freezer, so I typically plan weekly meals from what is on hand. I mainly have to get snacky crap and cereal when I grocery shop. I love my list! It helps me to be able to quickly look at what we have and keep a good rotation going. I HATE to run out of stuff, so I do stock up on things when I can!