Shot Duck Survives 2 Days in Fla. Fridge

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Wabbit season..

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20070120/D8MP95K01.html

Shot Duck Survives 2 Days in Fla. Fridge
Email this Story

Jan 20, 5:07 PM (ET)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man's wife "was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn't been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her," said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. "She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there."

The 1-pound female ring-neck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won't ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

"This duck is very passive," Hale said. "It's not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands."​

willie

Even Kerry can shoot better than that.

Attachments

• The_great_hunter.jpg
    The_great_hunter.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 100

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Ok...so someone shot a duck and then took it home and put it in the fridge and the duck was discovered alive two days later.

Does it sound strange - and disgusting - that this duck went for two days in the fridge WITHOUT being cleaned/gutted? How safe would it have been for the hunter to have cleaned that duck after two days and then eaten it? It just doesn't sound sanitary to me.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
BadGirl said:
Ok...so someone shot a duck and then took it home and put it in the fridge and the duck was discovered alive two days later.

Does it sound strange - and disgusting - that this duck went for two days in the fridge WITHOUT being cleaned/gutted? How safe would it have been for the hunter to have cleaned that duck after two days and then eaten it? It just doesn't sound sanitary to me.
Agreed, something fishy about this story.. one you don't store a duck or ANY meat with the guts intact, unless you're trying to make your family sick or dead..

second, if it was a hunter he would have just snapped it's neck and ate it.. birds survive shots all the time.

Sounds like a PETA ploy to me..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I agree...it should have been defeathered gutted etc before it was put in the fridge...and like you said a hunter would have finished it off when he shot it just wrung its neck..sounds fishy for sure..

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
And she cheated death once again...

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Perky is one tough bird.

The ring-neck duck survived being shot and spending two days in a hunter's refrigerator — and now she's had a close brush with death on a veterinarian's operating table.

The one-pound female duck stopped breathing Saturday during surgery to repair gunshot damage to one wing, said Noni Beck of the Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary.

Veterinarian David Hale revived the bird after several tense moments by performing CPR.

"I started crying, 'She's alive!'" Beck said.

Frankenduck :yikes:

Yeah and she was looking in the fridge because it hadn't been working right? Maybe they should put a dead cat in there to see what happens.
Pet Cemetary! :jameo:

Cowgirl

BadGirl said:

An old farmer once told me that they used to hang their geese up (without being field dressed) by the necks. When the geese fell down, it was time to eat them. :shrug: Guess it was ok to do. I personally wouldn't do it though...

Thor

Thats a piss poor hunter. First thing you do when retrieving a downed bird is twist it around by its neck to make sure it's dead. no sense in having a suffering bird on your hands.

Oh and he may have been planing on mounting the duck, that's a reason for putting it in the fridge or freezer without gutting it.

Thats a piss poor hunter. First thing you do when retrieving a downed bird is twist it around by its neck to make sure it's dead. no sense in having a suffering bird on your hands.
Very true. :yay:

Oh and he may have been planing on mounting the duck, that's a reason for putting it in the fridge or freezer without gutting it.
Very sick. :lmao: