Shots fired inside the US capitol

?

..._

So, there were no shots fired inside the Capital, at all?

Nope..all shots (7) were fired into the car at the driver.
driver had no gun, just a wacked out brain and a car!

Two cops were hurt in car accidents.

TreeRat

Always a Good Target
Go back and read the first 3 pages of this thread or so....and then ponder what we know as of right now.

TR

MarieB

I read it this morning and can't read anymore, especially when there were comment about suing the police. She had serious issues that the family had to have known about. The boyfriend called the police twice last year.

This does bring up the mental health issue yet again, and how it is handled here. It is very difficult in some states to force people into treatment, and then how do you enforce that the prescribed meds are taken?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Oh boy

Capitol Suspect Miriam Carey Believed Obama Electronically Monitored Her

She should have been in a mental institution and not caring for a baby

I was really hoping that the baby in the car was Obama's love child. :ohwell:
And she was pissed because her welfare check didn't arrive on the 1st of the month.

Yeah, I'm going to hell. :cds:

I know people are tired of reading the same crap in my postings but mental illness needs to be brought to the front line and dealt with.

We need to have a class in school teaching children about the signs and symptoms and what to do about it. We need to have quick responses on getting in to see a mental health provider and medications, free if needed... As a taxpayer, I'm perfectly happy to see mentally ill people get care and meds for free. What I am not happy about seeing is those who make obtaining free candy from the government their full-time job.

MarieB

I was really hoping that the baby in the car was Obama's love child. :ohwell:
And she was pissed because her welfare check didn't arrive on the 1st of the month.

Yeah, I'm going to hell. :cds:

I know people are tired of reading the same crap in my postings but mental illness needs to be brought to the front line and dealt with.

We need to have a class in school teaching children about the signs and symptoms and what to do about it. We need to have quick responses on getting in to see a mental health provider and medications, free if needed... As a taxpayer, I'm perfectly happy to see mentally ill people get care and meds for free. What I am not happy about seeing is those who make obtaining free candy from the government their full-time job.

The problem with mental illness is that some won't seek treatment and after receiving treatment won't take meds

I've personally dealt with this in my family. If the person refuses, it's pretty difficult in some places to do anything about it. And then you have family members in denial, and those that are afraid to rock the boat

I would almost bet that her family was worried about the child but was afraid that CPS would get involved

I'd like to know what kind of follow up was made after the father reported her to the police. Was it treated as a tit for tat domestic issue?

Dakota

~~~~~~~
The problem with mental illness is that some won't seek treatment and after receiving treatment won't take meds

I've personally dealt with this in my family. If the person refuses, it's pretty difficult in some places to do anything about it. And then you have family members in denial, and those that are afraid to rock the boat

I would almost bet that her family was worried about the child but was afraid that CPS would get involved

I'd like to know what kind of follow up was made after the father reported her to the police. Was it treated as a tit for tat domestic issue?

Agree... but doctors can do urine or blood testing to ensure they are taking their required meds and this should be done. Will that prevent future incidents? sadly no... and same here, I am very interested to hear how that complaint made by the father was dealt with... but those types of complaints are often used as revenge tactics which may or may not pan out to anything.

MarieB

Agree... but doctors can do urine or blood testing to ensure they are taking their required meds and this should be done. Will that prevent future incidents? sadly no... and same here, I am very interested to hear how that complaint made by the father was dealt with... but those types of complaints are often used as revenge tactics which may or may not pan out to anything.

And what to do if they don't go to the doc for those tests?

Bay_Kat

Tropical
And what to do if they don't go to the doc for those tests?

Exactly. It's a sad situation, someone has a mental issue, refuses to seek help, or like someone here said, gets the help, but then stops taking the meds, stops going to the doctor. They refuse to listen to their family and friends because they don't think anything is wrong. What do you do?

They were just talking about this on TV and the person can't be forced to get help unless it's proven they are a threat to themselves or someone else. By then it's too late.

MarieB

Florida has the Baker Act, never really read all of it, but again, it may be one of those that the person has to be a threat to harm themselves or someone else.

Florida Baker Act Law - Involuntary Commitment

From wiki

An example of involuntary commitment procedures is the Baker Act used in Florida. Under this law, a person may be committed only if they present a danger to themselves or others. A police officer, doctor, nurse or licensed mental health professional may initiate an involuntary examination that lasts for up to 72 hours. Within this time, two psychiatrists may ask a judge to extend the commitment and order involuntary treatment. The Baker Act also requires that all commitment orders be reviewed every six months in addition to ensuring certain rights to the committed including the right to contact outsiders. Also, a person under an involuntary commitment order has a right to counsel and a right to have the state provide a public defender if they cannot afford a lawyer. While the Florida law allows police to initiate the examination, it is the recommendations of two psychiatrists that guide the decisions of the court.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
From wiki

An example of involuntary commitment procedures is the Baker Act used in Florida. Under this law, a person may be committed only if they present a danger to themselves or others. A police officer, doctor, nurse or licensed mental health professional may initiate an involuntary examination that lasts for up to 72 hours. Within this time, two psychiatrists may ask a judge to extend the commitment and order involuntary treatment. The Baker Act also requires that all commitment orders be reviewed every six months in addition to ensuring certain rights to the committed including the right to contact outsiders. Also, a person under an involuntary commitment order has a right to counsel and a right to have the state provide a public defender if they cannot afford a lawyer. While the Florida law allows police to initiate the examination, it is the recommendations of two psychiatrists that guide the decisions of the court.

I hear calls on the scanner for this all the time, but it's always when the person is suicidal or someone in a fit about to harm someone else.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
Nope..all shots (7) were fired into the car at the driver.
driver had no gun, just a wacked out brain and a car!

Two cops were hurt in car accidents.

Here's where one of the cops was hurt. Media initially reported that she had rammed this car....

NSFW *language*

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

it was in the 70's Civil Rights Lawyers got the mental institutions emptied

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Like i said, it depends upon the state and the willingness for a family member to go through that process, as well as health professionals knowing how bad someone is without taking meds.

There are so many variables.

In a single-parent family, when the kids have grown up exposed to a mentally-ill parent, how do the kids learn that these behaviors aren't 'normal?' If you grown up where the only long-term adult/role model in the household talks to the teaspoons, you think that conversations with utensils is something everyone else does too.