Should cell phone use while driving be illegal?

Should Cell Phone use While Driving be Illegal?

• Yes.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Maybe. Only legal if using hands free.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Other ( specify below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I almost witnessed a nasty accident this morning involving a man on a cell phone who wasn't paying attention and almost side swiped a woman with a carseat in the back. I am really down the middle on the issue of cell phones. Although I do think they are distracting, I can be caught talking on mine from time to time. I just wonder how other feel about it being illegal to use them while driving. Now I happen to feel that if you have a hands free then it should be fine. As long as you aren't holding or dialing I don't think it should be banned. What do you think?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I'm not sure it's something you can actually ban. Holding or dialing isn't the only problem. Just being involved in a phone conversation while driving is a distraction. I don't see the point in the headsets at all. What about reading the paper while driving? I see that ALL THE TIME!! I'm not sure how to give people common sense but I certainly think that applies for cell phone use while driving.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I am in a quandry about it...I think hands free is the way to go, however I really can't see regulating it. I see people eating, drinking their coffee, reading papers, doing paperwork, shaving, putting on makeup and all kinds of other things when they are driving. What really makes cell phone use any worse? If you regulate cell phone use then you would have to regulate those other things as well.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Don't get me started about the freaking idiots on cell phones. :cussing:

That said, I still voted no. Do we really need a law for this one? It's been proven time and time again, you can't legislate common sense. How could it even be enforced? You're driving down the road and you see someone on the cell phone, what do you do? ...Pick up your phone and report them? :rolleyes:

There are so many things in cars that can cause distractions, why stop at cell phones. Stupidity, impatience, distractions, and the me first attitude are the cause of accidents. Where's the law against that?

K

Kain99

I voted Yes. I am guilty as sin of talking on my Cell when driving. Hands Free does nothing to help with the attention factor. While I hate the thought of pulling over 20 times a day, I can't argue that Cell phones are not a problem.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
What bugs me are those drivers that do talk and go really slow in the fast lane so they *think* that they are being careful. Not, just holding up traffic for the rest of us with both hands on the wheel paying proper attention.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think we should ban them!

One of those inattentive drivers on a cell-phone nearly ran me off the road yesterday morning on the way to work.

I had to swerve to avoid the collision, causing me to drop my electric razor into my coffee, it splashed all over my lap and the intense pain made me lose my morning newspaper, I had been reading, right out the window. The woman behind was so surprised she stabbed herself in the eye with some make-up apparatus and knocked the portable television she had on the dash onto the car floor destroying it.

Those damn people and their Cell-Phones are DANGEROUS!

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Re: I think we should ban them!

Originally posted by Kyle
One of those inattentive drivers on a cell-phone nearly ran me off the road yesterday morning on the way to work.

I had to swerve to avoid the collision, causing me to drop my electric razor into my coffee, it splashed all over my lap and the intense pain made me lose my morning newspaper, I had been reading, right out the window. The woman behind was so surprised she stabbed herself in the eye with some make-up apparatus and knocked the portable television she had on the dash onto the car floor destroying it.

Those damn people and their Cell-Phones are DANGEROUS!
:roflmao: I think I passed by you yesterday morning!

SxyPrincess

No...
033102phone_1_prv.gif

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Kain99
I am guilty as sin of talking on my Cell when driving. I hate the thought of pulling over 20 times a day.
Aren't you afraid you will become a bio-hazard with your brain matter all over the road?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Sharon
Aren't you afraid you will become a bio-hazard with your brain matter all over the road?

Of course not! I wear my seatbelt! :razz:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Distracted Motorist Veers, Kills Jogger, 71

A Brea (CA) jogger was killed when he was hit by a van a mile from his home after the driver took his eyes off the road to retrieve a cell phone he had dropped, the California Highway Patrol said Sunday.

Relatives of Eric Burton, 71, a retired pharmacist and avid jogger who was killed Saturday morning in an unincorporated area near Brea, called for legislation restricting the use of cell phones while driving.

The van's driver, Brian Scott Lankford, 38, of Brea told CHP officers he leaned over to pick up his cell phone while driving south on Valencia Avenue near Lambert Road. He said he didn't notice he had drifted into the bike lane where Burton was running. Lankford stopped, checked on Burton and then called police on his cell phone, a CHP spokeswoman said.

Lankford was not intoxicated and was not cited, the spokeswoman said.

Burton, a fit 5 feet 9 and 160 pounds, trained near his home. He enjoyed fun runs, including Brea's annual 10-kilometer race, said his widow, Kim, 37.

When her husband failed to return home as scheduled she became worried and got in her car to look for him.

"I saw the van and the police parked around it but I didn't stop," she said. "I just knew...."

Shaken, she went home and called police to ask if the accident involved her husband. Told it had, she rushed to the hospital where he was taken. He died later that day.

On Sunday, Kim Burton mourned the loss of her husband while making funeral arrangements. "I even had made a tag for him, you know, for running, in case he got hurt so police would know who to call in case of an emergency," she said.

He wore the tag on the laces of his running shoes, she said.

The couple have a daughter, Kortnee, 13. Burton also had three grown children from a previous marriage.

Idiot cell phone driver

STMLADY

Originally posted by johndoug
No, but driving and not paying attention should be MORE ILLEGAL.
Or if something can't be more illegal then it should have a stiffer penalty.

You said it all. Make stiffer fines and I guarentee problems will drop. But you have to make sure that they can't worm out of it. that is the other problem.

S

swingdancer

I am all for a ban on cell phone use while driving. I can't think of anything so important that it couldn't wait until the driver had a chance to pull over -- after all, your phone likely has voicemail on it. I just moved here from N.Y., which passed a cell phone ban a little more than a year ago. The law allows for use of the phone for emergency purposes, but assures that you'll be fined if you get caught yakking while driving. I say, leave the phone off and keep your eyes on the road.