• Never

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Depends on the infraction

Votes: 18 58.1%

• Total voters

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I grew up in the 60s. Corporal punishment was a parenting tool. The schools also extracted a pound of flesh every now and again. I'm not advocating either way, just trying to understand how we got to the place where 20 year olds need healing spaces.

whip.jpg

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In general, sure. It gets our attention and there you go. It never worked for all kids so that's the point. Some of the worst people in history were corrected with 'normal' corporal punishment.

The problem is in how does each kid perceive it? Do they get it as 'don't do that' and they learn choices, self control and consequences? Or does it come across as simple violence from a parent who isn't in control or doesn't do well with consistency or the point of it?

Like most things human it is not, nor should we wish it to be, black and white.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Certainly, how do you learn to not touch the hot stove? Pain has a direct link to the brain that bypasses the learning curve. Don't think by this that I'm condoning abuse, generally it's just the shock that something happened that's enough.

Roman

This question is a hard one to answer. There's nothing wrong with a good old fashioned spanking. But when you think of it, the sting of the spanking only lasts a few seconds. I preferred taking something away from my kids for a short period of time. My son needed to be jacked up a bit here and there, but my daughter never needed it. Both were pretty good kids.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I grew up in the 60s. Corporal punishment was a parenting tool. The schools also extracted a pound of flesh every now and again. I'm not advocating either way, just trying to understand how we got to the place where 20 year olds need healing spaces.

View attachment 110811

IMO, personal responsibility kind of hit the ####ter after our generation. We are the tail end of the Boomer generation and the world was a different place entirely from what we see now.

A swat on the hand for reaching for something not allowed, a drop of dish washing detergent on the tongue for profanity, and a few swats on the ass and bedroom confinement for "really" stupid #### was commonplace in 60s suburbia.

We learned what was acceptable and how to hide the things (minor) that weren't. We weren't treated like precious little gemstones only to make our parents look and feel good by a jury of their peers.

Not to make it political, but it really is at this point. Those liberal "pot smoking hippies" that were our teachers incorporated this touchy/feely approach to the world, so the "if it feels good, do it" mantra was incorporated into our upbringing, and the disease spread. I feel Obama is the rotting fruit of those efforts to normalize and marginalize this bad behavior, by not being shown that there is a right and a wrong way. Good/bad behavior is not multiple choice. It is very succinct, it is black and white.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If this golden age so many insisted on believing in actually existed, obedient children lead by wise and fair and caring parents and adults, this conversation would mean more. Our gummint lied to us then, people abused power, cheated, lied then. Is the longing that we just took it so much better? Is that what we miss?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not to make it political, but it really is at this point. Those liberal "pot smoking hippies" that were our teachers incorporated this touchy/feely approach to the world, so the "if it feels good, do it" mantra was incorporated into our upbringing, and the disease spread.

Robert Bork wrote a book called "Slouching Towards Gomorrah" that could be summed up by that sentence ^^. He goes in depth with how well-meaning liberals turned into crazy radical "progressives". It's an excellent book and you would probably enjoy it.

Vince

My parents only hit us when we deserved it. And with 3 boys like us, we deserved it a few times....well, more than a few. :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living
It certainly was a different world when my siblings and I were growing up in the 50s and 60s. My Dad had a belt; Mom had a wooden spoon and we all got it at one time or another. NONE of us would ever behave in public the way I see children today being allowed to behave. My parents did not have to beat us; usually the evil eye or threat of a bar of soap in the mouth, the belt or the wooden spoon was enough!

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It certainly was a different world when my siblings and I were growing up in the 50s and 60s. My Dad had a belt; Mom had a wooden spoon and we all got it at one time or another. NONE of us would ever behave in public the way I see children today being allowed to behave. My parents did not have to beat us; usually the evil eye or threat of a bar of soap in the mouth, the belt or the wooden spoon was enough!
And the school had the paddle.

frequentflier

happy to be living

The Catholic school I went to grades 1 to 8 had paddles, rulers and coat rooms where you could be made to stand in a corner for hours! And if you got caught chewing gum, they could make you wear in on your nose!

Last edited:

FireBrand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The "Sisters" at OLSS had ICBM's.
Anything that was within their arms reach would be projected through the air with pinpoint accuracy.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron

This was one of the best deterrents of antisocial behavior. Just the prelude to what was going to happen once the door closed, was enough to turn any wanna be tough guy, into an alter boy.

Parents, "Do you have a wooden paddle?"

Vice Principal, "Yes, yes I do."

Parents, "Use it freely and just send a note home to let us decide if the punishment was severe enough. We'll add grounding if necessary."

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The "Sisters" at OLSS had ICBM's.
Anything that was within their arms reach would be projected through the air with pinpoint accuracy.

We heard the horror stories from our Roman Catholic friends who went to Our Ladies of Good Counsel in Dunn Loring, VA.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Is anyone interested in discussing why we want more obedience like in the good old days?
When blacks knew their place? Gays stayed in the closet? A woman's place was in the home? A church could keep secrets? We didn't challenge our betters? We believed what the gummint told us? Accepted being drafted to go fight for England and stalin?

Would any of you actually supported our revolution or simply obeyed? Rebellion isn't polite and orderly and it used to be considered a good thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I feel Obama is the rotting fruit of those efforts to normalize and marginalize this bad behavior, by not being shown that there is a right and a wrong way. Good/bad behavior is not multiple choice. It is very succinct, it is black and white.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
This was one of the best deterrents of antisocial behavior.

a former Heroin Addict I worked with in the 90's ... was a teen in the 60's in Anacostia [when it was White Working Class]
... if the Police caught you doing something, Anti-Social [borderline criminal, but not worth arresting you for] you would get your ass beat ...
then the cops would take you home to your parents, where you dad would beat your ass again for misbehaving and embarrassing the Family because the cops brought you home in a squad car

DEEKAYPEE8569

This was one of the best deterrents of antisocial behavior. Just the prelude to what was going to happen once the door closed, was enough to turn any wanna be tough guy, into an alter boy.

Parents, "Do you have a wooden paddle?"

Vice Principal, "Yes, yes I do."

Parents, "Use it freely and just send a note home to let us decide if the punishment was severe enough. We'll add grounding if necessary."

Grounding only works if there is a parent home to enforce it. When my Brother and I were coming along, if/when we got grounded, Mom was a stay-at-home Mom back then. When we got off the bus after school, if we were grounded, the grounding restrictions/parameters were then in effect. Does that still happen today, when both parents work?

H

Hodr

Grounding only works if there is a parent home to enforce it. When my Brother and I were coming along, if/when we got grounded, Mom was a stay-at-home Mom back then. When we got off the bus after school, if we were grounded, the grounding restrictions/parameters were then in effect. Does that still happen today, when both parents work?

Digital grounding. Force them to go outside in the sun. Probably a bigger deterrent today than forcing someone to sit in their room alone was back in the day.