Should I euthanize?

buddscreekman

Our shih tzu is going on 18-19 years old now. He was adopted,so his age is a bit of a guess. His vision has gotten worse and worse over the past few months,and his behavior has changed recently. He does not want to play outside,or even walk around. He seems happy to just sleep all the time. But tonight,we came home to find him sitting/splayed out on the floor in an odd position. When I called for him,he wouldn't come. As it turns out,for some reason his hind leg on one side is just dragging as if it is paralyzed. It's late,and we've been in the hospital all last night and today with a family member,and now on top of everything else,this. I don't want to put him down,the wife says it's time. So here is my question - do I take some time off and try to keep him going until it happens naturally,or have him euthanized? Does anyone know of a vet who will come out to the house if we decide to? With our last dog,I had a friend who had some ACE pills left over from his lab being groomed. I took our dog out to eat McDonalds,loaded her burger with it,and she was sound asleep when we got to the vet.Slept through it all.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I will not/cannot make that kind of a determination because I do not know your pet. Everyone says, "You will know," and that's how it was with my last two pets.

However, consider this, he could be in discomfort from that leg. There could be something else going on that you have not thought of. If pain is in the equation, yes it very well may be his time. Putting them "to sleep" is just that - they go to sleep then the other stuff kicks in; they never know. But they will know they are no longer in pain.

limblips

PREMO Member
I will not/cannot make that kind of a determination because I do not know your pet. Everyone says, "You will know," and that's how it was with my last two pets.

However, consider this, he could be in discomfort from that leg. There could be something else going on that you have not thought of. If pain is in the equation, yes it very well may be his time. Putting them "to sleep" is just that - they go to sleep then the other stuff kicks in; they never know. But they will know they are no longer in pain.

Well said. Sometimes we have to sacrifice our quality of life for our pets quality of life. It is a hard thing to do but you will know when it is time.

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I agree with hvp05. Nobody can make the decison when you say goodbye to a "family member" but there family. Wouldn't hurt to send a message over on the Dog Thread about the Vet Questions you have. There are some very smart ladies that post over on that side.

LadyCoyote

First off, I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's rough seeing our pets get old and feeble. Someone once said the only fault of dogs is that they don't live as long as humans. I tend to agree. It sounds like your dog has had a long, happy life with your family. To live 18 - 19 years, I'm sure your pet has had wonderful care, and reading your post -- you're faithfully standing by him to the end. What a fortunate dog.

Ultimately the decision is up to you, but I have to say, if you think he's suffering or in pain, certainly putting him down can be a mericiful thing to do. Also, I think you'll know when it's "time". Your wife has expressed that she feels it is time, and maybe in the morning you will feel the same way. Being at the vet during my dog's last moments was actually a beautiful thing. We loved that dog so, so much and I think he understood. It was very peaceful for him and the vets were very respectful.

Whatever you decide, it will be okay. I'm not sure about St.Marys County, but I do know there are vets that do make "house calls". Maybe someone else here would know more, or you could inquire over at the dog forum area. Anyway, I know someone who had a vet come to their home to put the dog to sleep and she really appreciated having the house visit versus taking the animal to the vet -- it would have been too stressful for her and the dog.

I also know someone that struggled with the same decision for their 19 yr old dog. The afternoon that they were going to go to the vet, they found their dog peacefully passed away just a few hours earlier.

Again, so sorry you are going through this, and hope a restful night may bring some more direction for you in the morning.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Our shih tzu is going on 18-19 years old now. He was adopted,so his age is a bit of a guess. His vision has gotten worse and worse over the past few months,and his behavior has changed recently. He does not want to play outside,or even walk around. He seems happy to just sleep all the time. But tonight,we came home to find him sitting/splayed out on the floor in an odd position. When I called for him,he wouldn't come. As it turns out,for some reason his hind leg on one side is just dragging as if it is paralyzed. It's late,and we've been in the hospital all last night and today with a family member,and now on top of everything else,this. I don't want to put him down,the wife says it's time. So here is my question - do I take some time off and try to keep him going until it happens naturally,or have him euthanized? Does anyone know of a vet who will come out to the house if we decide to? With our last dog,I had a friend who had some ACE pills left over from his lab being groomed. I took our dog out to eat McDonalds,loaded her burger with it,and she was sound asleep when we got to the vet.Slept through it all.

Ask yourself if you wanted to live like you dog is living now.

Sometimes the greatest kindness we can show our loved pets, is to ease THEIR suffering, and not let them wait until the end arrives

Sadly as WE get older, we have to wait, no matter how old or sick we are.

Dogs and cats mask their pain and their illnesses so well it is hard to know just how bad they are.

If in doubt, go talk to your vet.
You will make the right choice.

Peace to you and loved ones, 2 and 4 legged.

PS: Euthanasia is from the Greek meaning 'easy death".

buddscreekman

Does he act like he hurts?

I decided to bathe him in the sink and see if the warm water would help. I really decided to be objective and take a hard look at him. So here it is. When I picked him up,he stiffened,like he might bite me. He has done this for the past month I'd say-he has really gotten so he wants to be left alone. I put him in the water and he seemed to like it,but then after standing for only like 20 seconds,he just leaned against the side of the sink and then slowly sank down. He whimpered the whole time. His eyes are both almost completely white with cataracts. He doesn't seem to hear well anymore either. Anyway,I picked him up in a towel and started to brush him out,I was hoping I could get a good look at that leg he won't stand on. Sure enough,as soon as a I touched it with the brush,he tried to bite me. I tried to dry his face,again tried to bite me. I wound up blowdrying him and wrapping him up in a comforter in the living room away from our other dog so he could be left alone. I don't see any visible injury to that leg,but it looks smaller,like it has almost drawn up,towards his body. Sounds weird but thats the only way to describe it. He's sleeping now. He also has some black,nasty looking stuff caking around one eye. I tried to wipe his face with a warm cloth,but again,got bit. He misses most of the time and even when he connects he doesn't have many teeth,so he doesn't hurt anyone. This wasn't always his personality,only in the past 2 months or so. I'm struggling financially right now,and I'm sure aggressive medical treatment might help him,but 1we can't afford it.We really can't. and 2 I know he hates being bothered,and I dont want to put him through any sort of procedures that might hurt. I guess reading this over I'm answering my own questions. I feel like a jerk.

flyingdog

First off I am very sorry you are going through this. It is a very tough thing to go through. When you adopt a dog you think potty training is hard; no one tells you this crap! It does sound like you have come to terms with a decision that is best for your dog.

All Kinds Vet Hospital does house calls for euthanizing. They were reasonable as well, and very caring, empathetic vets. They are a husband/wife who met in vet school and are the most caring vets I have ever met - and we have seen dozens. I suggest giving them a call. 301-994-9919. They helped us put down 2 of our dogs last year. One thing they said was they have never heard of someone regretting putting their dog down thinking it was too soon, but many times afterward simply regret not doing it sooner. It is the most selfless gift you can give to your lifetime companion.

Feel free to PM me should I be able to assist further. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

dawn

You know when the time is right to make the decision. As much as you hurt after it happens, always think as bad as you hurt at that moment, your fur baby would have suffered even more had you not made the right decision.

The doctors at All Cats and Dogs used to be mobile, I do not know if they still make house calls since they now have a hospital, but they are wonderful caring doctors. They may still make mobile calls for cases like this.

All Cats & Dogs Vet Clinic

I am so sorry! :huggy:

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I'm struggling financially right now,and I'm sure aggressive medical treatment might help him,but 1we can't afford it.We really can't. and 2 I know he hates being bothered,and I dont want to put him through any sort of procedures that might hurt. I guess reading this over I'm answering my own questions. I feel like a jerk.
Don't feel like a jerk! It is hard to know how to handle these things sometimes; all you can do is your best. You have certainly not willfully caused him pain, so don't tear yourself up about it.

Also, I feel safe saying that extensive medical treatment would be futile, if not an outright waste, at this point. It is possible that his leg is not severe and could heal up with some medicine and special attention. But the way you are laying everything out, things do not sound promising for your little guy, so you will have to be prepared for that eventuality.

As has been said a few times already, you will know when the time has come and you will know what to do - your heart will not let him continue in pain. I remember the story of KDENISE when she lost a dog a few months ago. She was terrified that she would not know what to do, nor that she would make it through the euthanization, but she too knew it was for the best and that realization helped comfort her.

I wish you and him luck. Let us know what happens.

Roxie04

went through this not to long ago. Hubby wanted to hear no parts of putting the dog down.....but i knew it was time. He was suffering and had no quality of life left. Always wanted to be left alone, no interaction with the family, bed sores from layng down so much. And god help me if he wanted to get up when hubby was not home....that was a struggle getting him up. Our vet came to our house to put him down and I was with him the whole time.The only regret I have is not doing it sooner............i feel he suffered longer than he should have.

pelers

:huggy::bawl: We went through this with my kitty a few years ago. She'd had a stroke or something and we watched her rapidly decline for about 6 months after that. Taking her in was one of the hardest decisions of my life and it still makes me cry thinking about it. I know that she was suffering and was in pain, she was confused all the time.

Not gonna lie, it's really hard. But you do have to take quality of life into consideration. If you were in your dog's place, how would you feel?

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

buddscreekman

I managed to get a good look at what is going on with that leg. This is not a stroke situation,or an age thing. I had on a white sweatshirt this morning and carried him to go to the bathroom and when I got back in,I noticed a large pink spot on my shirt. I am not seeing any blood,but that is where that leg is. Something happened to him while we were gone,it had to. It definitely wasn't any other kind of bleeding,like rectal. It is right where that leg is. Right or wrong,I'm going to give it a shot. Gonna drive him up to Well Pet in Waldorf today and see if they can help him out,in a way I can afford. Maybe sedate him enough to get a look at the leg and the eye,and we can take it from there. Hell,everything is a waste of money nowadays,so it's going to a good cause.
Who knows,maybe they'll amputate and then we can really be the white trash of the neighborhood with our three legged dog.:killingme I'll update y'all as the day goes on.

LazySmurfette

We recently did this (April 18) with our oldest (14 years old) Husky. He was having a hard time getting up and would literally lay in the same spot all day. My fiance had him from 8 weeks old.

He still had heart and wanted to play with the other dogs, he just had a hard time getting up without assistance, so off to the vet we go, and after talking with the vet, they gave us Tramadol, and Remadyl, we try that for a week and a half and with no improvement, we decide, that we can't and won't let him suffer anymore. I called very hesitantly that Monday morning and the staff was more than accomadating to try and find a time that works best for us. We got an evening appointment which allowed us to spend some more time with him.

My fiance was with him the whole entire time, and he said that he went peacefully and actually tried to fight the sedation. Being a 90lb dog, I was told it was somewhat of a struggle to get him to relax. I am tearing up as I type this, like everyone else has said, you will know or the dog will let you know. Our case was we had to make the decision because the dog was never going to let us know, and I just couldn't handle seeing him in pain trying to get up and then loosing his footing because his hip wanted to give out. It still hurts as much today as it did on that Monday, but it will get easier.

I have to agree with hvp05, I would almost rather not spend any extreme amount of money on a dog that the life expectancy is near it's end. I know that sounds harsh, but it just doesn't seem like the "smart" thing to do especially if finances are tight right now. Even thought most of us view our pets as our kids, I had to keep telling myself that he lived longer than most dogs his size did, and he did have the quality of life that we wanted him to have.

LadyCoyote

I hope it goes well for all of you today. I think the vet will give you good peace of mind about what is going on with your dog. Then you won't have to wonder, and possibly the vet will provide his advice on the prognosis to help you better decide the future. It definitely sounds like something happened to his leg, and he's in pain (hence, the biting). If only our pups could speak.
Good luck today.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Wow, didn't need to see this thread.
Last Thursday I put down my 19 + year old cat. She was always an independent animal, but over the last years of her life we started making adjustments for her. We fed her different food, started cleaning up after her more and more.
Thought I was being pretty heroic.
When she started falling down, I knew it was time (as others have said), but hesitated thinking maybe there was one more thing I could do.
It then dawned on me: You can't cure old age. So I made the call to a vet.
I scratched her head as she slowly went to sleep.
Afterwards I realized that she had probably been in pain, not only physical, but also for the fact she couldn't control herself, so would hide just to get away.
I miss her presence but not the day to day nagging feeling that she was suffering. Glad I helped her out.
Good luck, it's not easy.

Taeobi

I managed to get a good look at what is going on with that leg. This is not a stroke situation,or an age thing. I had on a white sweatshirt this morning and carried him to go to the bathroom and when I got back in,I noticed a large pink spot on my shirt. I am not seeing any blood,but that is where that leg is. Something happened to him while we were gone,it had to. It definitely wasn't any other kind of bleeding,like rectal. It is right where that leg is. Right or wrong,I'm going to give it a shot. Gonna drive him up to Well Pet in Waldorf today and see if they can help him out,in a way I can afford. Maybe sedate him enough to get a look at the leg and the eye,and we can take it from there. Hell,everything is a waste of money nowadays,so it's going to a good cause.
Who knows,maybe they'll amputate and then we can really be the white trash of the neighborhood with our three legged dog.:killingme I'll update y'all as the day goes on.

I hope it goes well today and it ends up being something they can fix!! But, if you don't get the answer you're hoping for, at least you will know that you've done everything you can to better his health. Then when you feel it's time, you'll find solace knowing he is at peace.