Should taxpayers fund thrash and punk metal?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
http://bcove.me/0l50drgs

So the UK taxpayers are now expected to fund other types of arts aside from the typical ballet and opera stuff, and they aren't liking it. Is heavy metal or indie rock really any different? Check out the debate at the end. Poor musician girl gets annihilated. I've listened to Savage Messiah for four years so they can't be doing that bad. :lol:

Thoughts?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
So the UK taxpayers are now expected to fund other types of arts aside from the typical ballet and opera stuff, and they aren't liking it. Is heavy metal or indie rock really any different? Check out the debate at the end. Poor musician girl gets annihilated. I've listened to Savage Messiah for four years so they can't be doing that bad. :lol:

Thoughts?

Conceptually, it's the same thing; public funding for something that can't pay for itself be it a symphony or some garage band. The issue is the age old one of patronage; being in with the in crowd which means some combination of enough raw political power and public acceptance as a greater good which means some level of sacrifice of art to the tastes of those who hold those strings of power. However, it also means some level of sacrifice by the artist in terms of not having any sort of pressure to appeal to a broader audience. I'd be more for public funding of places to play as opposed to outright subsidy of bands and artists but, that's just another level of the same thing; who gets to play and when. At the end of the day, when the new Jimi Hendrix is just starting out, not very many people are interested and aren't financially supportive. When the new Jimi Hendrix BECOMES the next Jimi Hendrix, everyone who wouldn't spend $10 at some dive is suddenly willing to spend $200 to go see the now commercialized version.

The link doesn't go to a story. I'd be interested in reading more.

Last edited:
C

czygvtwkr

I would say no because in the end you can't fund every single one and the ones that do get funded are the ones that are savvy or connected with the process and has nothing to do with the art produced.

I think Larry's idea on a smaller scale is pretty good actually, say town or county venues, but with so many ways to connect with people these days not entirely sure it would matter. I have seen some excellent stuff on youtube that would have never went anywhere just 15 years ago.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...but with so many ways to connect with people these days not entirely sure it would matter. I have seen some excellent stuff on youtube that would have never went anywhere just 15 years ago.

Connecting is only part of the equation. One of the ENORMOUS suck factors of being in a band, unknown, small time, is the incredible effort that goes into doing a gig; all the gear, load in, set up, load out, in bars and clubs that make the task a never ending cluster#### as well as trying to get decent sound out of what amounts to cinder blocks and an enormous commitment in time and resources to boot.

Small to even mid sized venues with PA and back line can make it possible to get more acts in and out, more frequently and reduces down to having to deal with 37 piece drums kits.

:lol:

C

czygvtwkr

Connecting is only part of the equation. One of the ENORMOUS suck factors of being in a band, unknown, small time, is the incredible effort that goes into doing a gig; all the gear, load in, set up, load out, in bars and clubs that make the task a never ending cluster#### as well as trying to get decent sound out of what amounts to cinder blocks and an enormous commitment in time and resources to boot.

Small to even mid sized venues with PA and back line can make it possible to get more acts in and out, more frequently and reduces down to having to deal with 37 piece drums kits.

Understand that one, I play drums myself and back in the day played with a few bands. I always envied the guitar and bass players not having to lug so much #### around.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Understand that one, I play drums myself and back in the day played with a few bands. I always envied the guitar and bass players not having to lug so much #### around.

Name your poison. A 900 piece kit or Marshall stack or, worse, SVT cab and head. :jameo: