Showing young horses in-hand halter?

fallon3386

I have a young one, and someone asked if I would be showing him in-hand or in any halter classes. I am interested in doing this but I am not sure how to go about it. I need to talk to someone who does this or a trainer that prepares horses for this. If anyone could give me any information it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a show series or anything I am going with yet so the door is wide open:) Thanks!

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
If you have sport horses a great person to ask is GVF. She breeds and raises (i believe she calls them) sport horses and i have seen her work with young horses to prep them for halter classes.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
It depends on what you want to do. There are some SHB shows (sport horse breeding) shows. But, not too many in this area. The arab people do one in the fall and some of the dressage people have one. Otherwise many local non-dressage groups offer a couple different in-hand options.

SMHA, MSA (& maybe BEST) offer model and/or conformation classes.
Mounted Wanderer's offers conformation, showmanship, in hand trail, etc.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Go to AQHA - AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE ASSOCIATION LOOK at their Videos for sale . For $14 NON-MEMBER OR $10 FOR MEMBERS you can buy a DVD that will show you exactly how to show in Halter Class.

My website is Welcome to Mockingbird Hill Farms!

She has a friesian foal. Going on the AQHA style is not what she will need to learn. I think looking at YouTube videos of many different styles of in-hand showing would be better. She can watch some congress videos, but also Dressage at Devon (DAD), and big hunter shows like Upperville and WIHS.