shutdown hassle

libby

Well, this is really small potatoes compared to the the pain others are feeling, but I just decided to gripe here on SOMD.
So my dependent ID expired during the shutdown, and the ID office was closed. My dh filled out the paperwork and I tried to get through the gate with the just-expired ID and paperwork to get to the ID office over there where the CO works. The guard confiscated my ID (which, he explained, he technically HAD to do). I go to get a pass in the pass office (which I didn't realize was also and ID office), but they needed two forms of ID, but I only had my driver's license left.
So I came home with no new ID.
If you need a new ID, be prepared...it's more of a challenge right now.

molly_21

I guess they did not get the word out, but the only pass office giving out CAC/ID's was Andrews AFB during last week before the pass office was recalled (and before furlough ended for those guys).

NTNG

Well, this is really small potatoes compared to the the pain others are feeling, but I just decided to gripe here on SOMD.
So my dependent ID expired during the shutdown, and the ID office was closed. My dh filled out the paperwork and I tried to get through the gate with the just-expired ID and paperwork to get to the ID office over there where the CO works. The guard confiscated my ID (which, he explained, he technically HAD to do). I go to get a pass in the pass office (which I didn't realize was also and ID office), but they needed two forms of ID, but I only had my driver's license left.

Not so much if you take care of it before the day it expires...

Beta

Smile!

You should be happy that they took your ID and didn't let you on base. That means they're looking at IDs and not letting people on that shouldn't be on the base. And they're not letting people keep outdated IDs so they can try to sneak pass a lazier guard.

That being said, when you're well aware a government shutdown is upcoming, and your ID is about to expire, it might be a good idea to get your ID renewed beforehand. You know, just in case something weird happens like...the ID offices close.

If you have something expiring in October, always get it done by September. Sorry for your bad luck, but if they let you on with the invalid ID, let you keept the ID, or gave you an ID without 2 forms of ID, would you really feel like this base was safe? :shrug:

libby

Not so much if you take care of it before the day it expires...

Unless it just so happened to expire during the four days of shutdown. That said, I could have done it much earlier, I get that. Just makin' conversation.

libby

You should be happy that they took your ID and didn't let you on base. That means they're looking at IDs and not letting people on that shouldn't be on the base. And they're not letting people keep outdated IDs so they can try to sneak pass a lazier guard.

That being said, when you're well aware a government shutdown is upcoming, and your ID is about to expire, it might be a good idea to get your ID renewed beforehand. You know, just in case something weird happens like...the ID offices close.

If you have something expiring in October, always get it done by September. Sorry for your bad luck, but if they let you on with the invalid ID, let you keept the ID, or gave you an ID without 2 forms of ID, would you really feel like this base was safe? :shrug:

Like I said in the OP. A hassle, but nothing compared to (fill in the blank with a million other things in the world happening to much better people)