Simone Biles

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

stgislander

PREMO Member
I agree. I guess the only thing that I find a little strange is that she went all the way to Japan, started the competition, and then decided to bow out. I mean she had to go through the Olympic qualifying here. Maybe that wasn't stressful enough for the issues to surface.

Anyway, good for her for taking care of herself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I agree. I guess the only thing that I find a little strange is that she went all the way to Japan, started the competition, and then decided to bow out. I mean she had to go through the Olympic qualifying here. Maybe that wasn't stressful enough for the issues to surface.

The pressure to compete is enormous so she was most likely badgered into it, and also her own desire to overcome her physical limitations, and when she got there she realized it was a mistake.

The couch losers are calling her a coward, but it took more courage for her to quit than to risk her body by going through with it.

Everyone preaches we need to remove the stigma on mental illness and practice mindfulness, better mental health, etc. I think Simone was right to take a break if she knew it was the best decision for her and her body. A bunch of overweight Monday morning quarterbacks can biotch all they want from the secure safety of their Fritos bags and La-Z-Boys.

Bonehead

It was obvious to me the look on her face after her vault told the tale she was terrified and NOT into the competition. Great decision on her part, brave in my opinion for someone so young ! Bravo Simone !

CRHS89

I read that she was unable to take her ADHD medication to Japan because it is illegal there. I wonder what part that played in her withdrawing. I would think that the intense focus needed to compete at the Olympics would be very difficult to maintain for someone with ADHD who is unmedicated.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Much ado about nothing. She cracked under the pressure. Simple as that. Only difference is that she didn't compete and lose, she quit. That makes her a double loser. Being an Olympian is about doing what is necessary to win and toughing things out, pushing yourself. I'd would have respect for her if she competed, lost and placed forth or fifth because of her 'challenges', rather that just outright quit.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Much ado about nothing. She cracked under the pressure. Simple as that. Only difference is that she didn't compete and lose, she quit. That makes her a double loser. Being an Olympian is about doing what is necessary to win and toughing things out, pushing yourself. I'd would have respect for her if she competed, lost and placed forth or fifth because of her 'challenges', rather that just outright quit.
I've got to disagree with you here, she's not playing as an individual here but as a part of team USA. Would you expect a basketball player to play with a sprained ankle, to just "tough it out"? These games are as much mental as physical.

SamSpade

I'm totally in her court - I've heard some stories which point to Tokyo not permitting her access to her medications - which she needs. I've heard - unconfirmed - that they may help her deal with mental illness. Having several persons in my family suffering and dealing with various degrees of mental illness - one of them, congenital - I understand.

However -

She then probably should not have gone to Tokyo to begin with. I don't know why she went. Pressure? Don't know. But in all fairness to her teammates, probably should not have gone.

CPUSA

If I may ...

As you spew your BS from your recliner...Barely able to bend over to pick up the cheeto you dropped...
Another armchair gymnast who DIDN'T make it to the Olympics

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

...he says from his Lazy-Boy, a bag of Cheetos in his lap....

It's unlikely Simone Biles cares if you respect her or not, and it's even more unlikely that she'd be willing to jeopardize her physical well-being so as not to disappoint you.

If she were your daughter would you feel the same? "C'mon, honey, get out there and permanently injure yourself so some dipshit in a Barcalounger will respect you!"

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I'm totally in her court - I've heard some stories which point to Tokyo not permitting her access to her medications - which she needs. I've heard - unconfirmed - that they may help her deal with mental illness. Having several persons in my family suffering and dealing with various degrees of mental illness - one of them, congenital - I understand.

However -

She then probably should not have gone to Tokyo to begin with. I don't know why she went. Pressure? Don't know. But in all fairness to her teammates, probably should not have gone.
She is said to have ADHD and is taking Ritalin (methylphenidate).

"A special arrangement is in place specifically for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games to allow athletes taking these medicines for therapeutic use, and with an approved Therapeutic Use Exemption, to import personal supplies for the treatment of their medical condition while they are in Japan," a document provided via Team USA says.

"While the laws in Japan are extremely stringent when it comes to stimulants, they're slightly more lax about psychotropics, the class of drugs under which Ritalin is categorized. Athletes and nonathletes alike can apply for a Yakkan Shoumei — an "import certificate" allowing for the import of some otherwise prohibited drugs — that permits them to bring up to 2.16g of their methylphenidate into the country."

I would think she, or someone on her behalf, having known of the requirement and process well before leaving for Japan, filed for the exception and 'Import certificate".

It could also be argued that since methylphenidate is also a performance enhancing drug, and while elite athletes are given official permission to use them, one should also think of these drugs as giving an unfair advantage over other non-using competitors. Though this, a different subject of minutiae altogether. Unless of course she relies on the drug to unfairly maintain her performance levels?

I've got to disagree with you here, she's not playing as an individual here but as a part of team USA. Would you expect a basketball player to play with a sprained ankle, to just "tough it out"? These games are as much mental as physical.
Then she also let her team down. Also apples and oranges.

...he says from his Lazy-Boy, a bag of Cheetos in his lap....

It's unlikely Simone Biles cares if you respect her or not, and it's even more unlikely that she'd be willing to jeopardize her physical well-being so as not to disappoint you.

If she were your daughter would you feel the same? "C'mon, honey, get out there and permanently injure yourself so some dipshit in a Barcalounger will respect you!"
Just stating an opinion. Couldn't care if she respects me or not.

As you spew your BS from your recliner...Barely able to bend over to pick up the cheeto you dropped... Another armchair gymnast who DIDN'T make it to the Olympics
I spew only opinion. How you receive and process it is your problem.

Clem72

If I may ...

I'm okay with someone withdrawing for personal reasons when it only affects them, I just hope she didn't cost some other young hopeful their chance to compete in the Olympics.

Hijinx

She is a BLM supporter.

I hope that had nothing to do with her decision.
Did any of her team mates try to insist she make some sort of stupid act such as kneeling or did they suggest it to her?

Hijinx

People tried to tell me not to do tattoos and piercings and all that.

'But look at me now, and I'm poppin'.'

When you are ugly as a bag of ass wholes already a few bones thru your nose and some tats aint gonna make it much worse.