Skate shoot

HunterJJD

any one doing this?
http://www.bowesandarrows.com/docs/12th_Annual_Bowes_SkateShoot.pdf

We were planning to till speaking with the owner and he acted like an ####### and the company is based in Alexandria coming to southern MD and walking away with over 4K in cash from entry fees.

It is a per person entry fee even your drive must pay.

Also we don't have skate in the river, we have cow nose rays.

Sorry just venting and hoping to save some guys from getting ripped off

any one doing this?

We were planning to till speaking with the owner and he acted like an ####### and the company is based in Alexandria coming to southern MD and walking away with over 4K in cash from entry fees.

No, but I accidentally happened upon the weigh in last year or the year before. Lots of coolers overflowing with rays. What caught my eye were the boats. I was like, what the heck?, when I saw the platforms.

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
any one doing this?

I can't open the link for a better look (filters at work) But here is a little food for thought - Annapolis | Eastern Shore | Outdoors > Cow-Nosed Rays of the Chesapeake Bay

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Coincidentally, we were having lunch at the Pier yesterday and I saw a school of four gliding along just off the deck. I'd never seen one before nor did I know there were any rays around here!

Now, I know. Pretty neat!

Coincidentally, we were having lunch at the Pier yesterday and I saw a school of four gliding along just off the deck. I'd never seen one before nor did I know there were any rays around here!

Did ya' know there were sharks?

The ray’s only natural predator is the shark. When the once-abundant coastal shark populations plummeted, there was an explosion in the ray population, estimated at eight percent per year. Bull sharks, which inhabit the shallow coastal waters of the East Coast, including the Chesapeake Bay, feed heavily on rays. And like rays, bull sharks can thrive in brackish waters. I once observed a bull shark chasing cow-nosed rays at the mouth of the Wye River, and a captain friend of mine saw one eat a ray at Calvert Cliffs.

A friend of mine who used to work on a charter boat said they'd come up in the chum lines from time to time.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"

What Larry? Joking? ..... Hard to believe.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Some people think they're sharks. Just the wing tips showing and all.

Because I am a hot shot big time kewl diver guy :diva: I instantly recognized them as rays, but, because hot shot big time kewl diver guy had no idea there were any around here :stupid: I was big time double taking and kinda thrilled!

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
They make good crab trap bait.

They are also great sport to hook with heavy pound test line.

There are too many of them in the bay and rivers since they don't have many natural enemies that will eat them, so shoot away.

wollybugger

Larry, neat indeed. We have some cool things here along the Chesapeake.

Every once in a while, if you look hard, you can see some small puffy clouds in the water. Beware .... these clouds have long arms that can sting you.

:whistle:

they basically are...genetically they are very similar. rays are basically flattened sharks

Without rows of large, serrated, triangular teeth.:lol:

Speaking of related:

Kewl diver guy Larry who also plays guitar, have you ever seen a guitar fish? We used to catch them in the gulf of california.

Attachments

• squalimuseo44.JPG
    squalimuseo44.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 87

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Without rows of large, serrated, triangular teeth.:lol:

Speaking of related:

Kewl diver guy Larry who also plays guitar, have you ever seen a guitar fish? We used to catch them in the gulf of california.

You know what the problem there is, don't you?

You can tune a piano but, you can't tune a fish.