Skins’ dynasty finally gets their due in Canton

BuddyLee

Football addict
By Mike Celizic
NBCSports.com contributor
updated 3:02 p.m. ET, Wed., July. 30, 2008<SCRIPT language=javascript> function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633530413459670000');</SCRIPT>

Not every class inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame is headed by a John Elway or Troy Aikman or other all-time offensive hero. This is one of those years, when Canton will open its doors to guys named Green, Thomas, Monk, Zimmerman, Tippett and Dean.

The names don’t make you reach for the remote to program the TiVo. And that’s too bad, because Canton’s Class of ’08 includes some players who were every good at playing their position as Aikman and Elway were at theirs. You don’t get to the Hall of Fame without being one of the best to every play the game, and that’s what these guys are.

Three of them in particular — Darrell Green, Art Monk and Gary Zimmerman — are absolute immortals. But Green was a defensive back, Monk was the game’s all-time leading pass catcher but had the misfortune to be overshadowed by Jerry Rice, and Zimmerman was an offensive tackle, and Rodney Dangerfield got more respect than an offensive lineman.

Green was elected in his first year of eligibility, which is as it should be. Monk and Zimmerman should have been in the Hall long before this. If Zimmerman had been as good a running back or quarterback as he was a tackle, he would have been enshrined in his first year of eligibility. Instead, he had to wait until his fifth. At least he beat Monk, whose seven-year wait to get in remains one of life’s undying mysteries.

But that’s the nature of the game. The headliners go to Canton on the express train. Everybody else has to wait their turns. It shows that even the electors, who are steeped in the game, are blinded by superstar glare and slow to bestow immortality on the less celebrated positions.

The Hall of Fame requires the election of between four and seven new members each year. That rule is in place to make sure that the guys in the trenches get the recognition their play should have earned them. There are, after all, 22 starters for each of 32 football teams, not to mention the special teamers. That’s 704 starting players at 22 different positions. There should be more people elected each year to get the best players in each era at each position. The Hall also requires the annual election of veteran players who had been passed up during their years of eligibility.

Because there were no great quarterbacks or running backs eligible this year, it became a kind of catch-up year. Fred Dean, a defensive end, and Emmitt Thomas, a cornerback, are the old-timers of the group, having retired more than 20 years ago. The others were all the best at their positions, but if there had been an Aikman and Michael Ervin eligible this year as there was last year, one or two of this year’s inductees would have had to wait even longer.

It wouldn’t have been Green. The Redskins’ defensive back played 20 years and was still a starter at the age of 42. One of the fastest men ever to play the game, he was once timed — unofficially — in the 40 in a blazing 4.09 seconds. In his final season, as the age of 42, he was still one of the fastest men in the NFL.

<SCRIPT></SCRIPT><TABLE class=boxH_brl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD class=boxHC_brl noWrap width=* itxtvisited="1">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=boxB_brl cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR vAlign=top itxtvisited="1"><TD class=boxBI_brl itxtvisited="1">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
His teammate was Art Monk, an end who held the all-time record for passes caught until Jerry Rice finally passed him in Monk’s last year in the league. For some reason, Monk, who has three Super Bowl rings, had to wait 13 years after he retired to be elected. But it’s a nice touch that when he finally did make it, he gets to go in with his old teammate, Green.

That’s the hook for this year’s class — the induction of two teammates from the team’s greatest era when they went to four Super Bowls and won three of them. It’s beyond understanding that until this year, just one player from those teams — John Riggins — has made it to Canton before this year. Riggins was cast in bronze in 1992, just seven years after he retired, and he played for only one Super Bowl winner. Green and Monk were as good at what they did as Riggins was at his job. For that matter, not one member of the team’s famous “Hogs” offensive line is in the Hall. Go figure.

Then there’s Zimmerman, whose accomplishments deserve the kind of fanfare that a great running back or quarterback would merit. Alas, Zimmerman played offensive tackle for first the Vikings and then the Broncos. It’s not a coincidence that after Denver acquired him in 1993, the team had the greatest offensive outputs in its history.

Only a handful of players in NFL history have been named to the All-Decade Team in two different decades. Zimmerman is one of them, being one of the tackles-of-the-decade in both the 1980s and the ‘90s. You make player of the decade once and you deserve to be in the Hall. You do it twice, and you should be first-ballot material. But you can bet Zimmerman isn’t complaining. You don’t play offensive tackle as long as he did without getting used to being taken for granted.

He’s in now, as are Monk and Green, who deserve their places as much as he. Along with them are linebacker Andre Tippett, elected in his ninth year of eligibility, Thomas and Dean.
Congratulations, guys, and don’t let anyone say you’re part of a lackluster class. You were the best. You’re finally where you belong.

Celizic: Skins’ dynasty finally gets their due in Canton - NFL - NBCSports.com

:yahoo:Way to go Monk and Green.

Art Monk and Darrell Green are truly class acts. I met Darrell Green and Art Monk together at an Easter Seal benefit once and the two of them are the most genuine human beings I think I have ever come in contact with... what you see is what you get.

J-Red

Monk and Green are definitely deserving, and for Monk it's a shame he had to wait this long.

One little nitpick with NBC's article. There was no Skins' dynasty. They won 3 Super Bowls in 10 seasons, and the 49ers won 3 Super Bowls in the same stretch. There are tons of arguments over what constitutes a dynasty, but I think it's generally accepted that there can't be two concurrent dynasties from the same conference.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Monk and Green are definitely deserving, and for Monk it's a shame he had to wait this long.

One little nitpick with NBC's article. There was no Skins' dynasty. They won 3 Super Bowls in 10 seasons, and the 49ers won 3 Super Bowls in the same stretch. There are tons of arguments over what constitutes a dynasty, but I think it's generally accepted that there can't be two concurrent dynasties from the same conference.
The 80's were weird like that. People have to classify at least one dynasty to each decade. Usually, it's the 49ers but...I'll take the Skins. They wen't to four Super Bowls but lost that one to the Raiiiida's.:doh:

J-Red

Well, the Niners get a fourth in that stretch if you just go back a year prior to the Skins first win.

It's kind of unfair, because the fact that the Skins won three Super Bowls in a decade should be recognized. Dynasty just isn't the right word, especially given what the Niners did from 1981 to 1995, winning five.

LateApex

DGreen was a stud.

But no one ever, ever, game planned for Art Monk.

He was steady and consistent - I'll give him that - but was never a game changer in any way shape or form.

BuddyLee

Football addict

He was steady and consistent - I'll give him that - but was never a game changer in any way shape or form.
The tape, players and hall of fame inductors disagree my brotha'.

LastSon

Man of Tomorrow

Normally I would respond to this and prove you completely wrong, but since he finally made the Hall of Fame and I'm tired of 7 years of debating this issue, all I have to say is....

:lalala:

He's in, drop it