'Slut-Shaming' Contributing to the Rise of STDs

ZARA

Original site: Slut-Shaming is Driving Up STD Rates

That slut-shaming intersects with and hurts efforts to prevent sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) might surprise you.
…The impact is, generally speaking, an increase in STD transmission rates.

...I had had a number of boyfriends by the age of 16—you know, those two-month-long high-school relationships that don’t really mean much—...

...The following spring, I contracted genital herpes. Embarrassed and mired in self-imposed stigma, I wanted to redeem myself by going back to church...

...During our youth group’s spring break bus trip to Myrtle Beach, my best friend and I met a pair of Marines on leave and snuck away to flirt and make out with them on the beach...

…One of those girls and I became very close; I told her about my genital herpes infection.

…People will continue to feel shame about their sexuality, their sexual health will suffer, and STDs will persist…

Linked from Yahoo: Is 'Slut-Shaming' Contributing to the Rise of STDs?

This entire article had me :confused:.

1. How does being publically embarrassed about sexual activity increase the STD rates? WTH? Did it make the person become even more sexually active and stupid in not taking proper precautions??

2. By the time she was 17, or almost 17, she contracted an STD.

3. She was in a religious youth group. She went to church. So she was taught the morals of no premarital sex.

4. No mention of taking sex-ed and no mention of parental guidance.

5. Why would a person tell anyone, other than their sexual partner, that they have an STD?

I have a solution, keep the wrappers on projectiles and keep a penny between the knees. Yes, I’m a tad old school. Am I the only one that finds this article as useless drivel?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1. How does being publically embarrassed about sexual activity increase the STD rates? WTH?

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it?

My take is that this young woman is having a hard time taking responsibility for her actions, and is trying to blame someone else. "I'm a slut because I was bullied for being a slut and it's their fault I have the clap :drama:"

MMM_donuts

Maybe the idea is it has something to do with failing to seek treatment or the absence of education in order to prevent the spread of disease?

MMM_donuts

After having read the article, however, I don't think she's communicating her point well. I think she's assuming that her behavior is common and taking more of a reactionary approach instead of a proactive approach to addressing teenage std's.

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing but I don't think it's the complete answer, either. I think it's just as ineffective as relying soley on a "don't do that" approach to teenagers having sex.

pelers

Perhaps it's since they are already "ruined" and EVERYONE knows what a skeeze they are, they just stop caring? I mean, if everyone already thinks you're a slut you may as well have a good time and live up to it?

:shrug:

ZARA

Perhaps it's since they are already "ruined" and EVERYONE knows what a skeeze they are, they just stop caring? I mean, if everyone already thinks you're a slut you may as well have a good time and live up to it?

:shrug:

LOL I think that may be the approach she took given the way the article reads.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Sounds an awful lot like she enjoys promiscuous sex. Once she gets a rep in school, she seeks partners in other schools. Then she seeks partners at the Marine base, then she moves, then she. . . .

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Hmmmm....

Attachments

• slutty-hand-sanitizer.jpg
    slutty-hand-sanitizer.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 76
I find if you call yourself slot instead of slut you will feel much better about yourself. :dance:

Ummm... any female that refers to herself as a slot is most definately a slut...:eyebrow:

Timely headline for today... Sex Superbug Could Be 'Worse Than AIDS'

According to the CDC, about 20 million a year contract a sexually transmitted disease (STD) and result in about $16 billion in medical costs. More than 800,000 of STD cases reported are gonorrhea infections, with most occurring in people between the ages of 15 and 24.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sounds an awful lot like she enjoys promiscuous sex. Once she gets a rep in school, she seeks partners in other schools. Then she seeks partners at the Marine base, then she moves, then she. . . .

She can get poked by whoever she wants and I don't give even one fourth of a damn, but don't go blaming anyone else when she gets the cooties.