Small farm questions

barncat

The hubby and I are in search of a new house and we are hoping to find a home in the Southern Maryland Region (we currently live in Charles and would like to get into St. Mary's). I would like to have enough property to bring my old horse home for retirement. I have been informed by the real estate agent that the minimum acreage for one horse is 2 acres. I have a few questions for those who have horses on small acreage.

1. Does this 2 acre rule also apply to goats (companion for the horse)?

2. Is 1 1/2 acres fenced in for the horse adequate?

3. More then likely during the first year money will be tight so a real barn and wood fencing would have to wait. My guy respects electric and I would have a run-in shed put up for him, what kind of cost am I looking at for that set up?

4. Does anyone know of any super cheap homes with land :killingme

Thanks for any info!

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
Wisecrackin" said:
Sorry minimum in St Marys is 5 acres for the first horse..ponys and stuff under 500 lbs do not count (ie llamas and goats)

Wow, 5 acres for one!!

In Calvert, the rules differ depending on zoning.

SouthernMdRocks

barncat said:
The hubby and I are in search of a new house and we are hoping to find a home in the Southern Maryland Region (we currently live in Charles and would like to get into St. Mary's). I would like to have enough property to bring my old horse home for retirement. I have been informed by the real estate agent that the minimum acreage for one horse is 2 acres. I have a few questions for those who have horses on small acreage.

1. Does this 2 acre rule also apply to goats (companion for the horse)?

2. Is 1 1/2 acres fenced in for the horse adequate?

3. More then likely during the first year money will be tight so a real barn and wood fencing would have to wait. My guy respects electric and I would have a run-in shed put up for him, what kind of cost am I looking at for that set up?

4. Does anyone know of any super cheap homes with land :killingme

Thanks for any info!

1.5 acres for a horse and goat is adequate. 3K can getcha a run-in and I think electro braid runs about $200/roll, each roll I think is around 300 ft.
I think I saw a listing in the 300K range for a few acres.

barncat

Wisecrackin" said:
Sorry minimum in St Marys is 5 acres for the first horse..ponys and stuff under 500 lbs do not count (ie llamas and goats)

I wonder where the agent got his information from. Well that definately puts us in Calvert or Charles then, maybe even King George.

barncat

Nucklesack said:
GO to http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/planzone/docs/LUGMFAQ.pdf

but relevant to your questions :

A guy i work with is building his barn now, but because of the above regulations he was able to bring his horses over without an "issue" from the county (they do have Trees for coverage which fits the need clause).

Good luck on finding Land though :lmao:

Thank you, that was the information I was looking for but couldn't find. Would a real estate agent know this stuff??? Why am I having to do this work to get answers? Would a run-in shed be considered a stable?

SouthernMdRocks

barncat said:
Thank you, that was the information I was looking for but couldn't find. Would a real estate agent know this stuff??? Why am I having to do this work to get answers? Would a run-in shed be considered a stable?

I don't believe it would be.

Wisecrackin"

Sorry...my bad..your right 3 acres for the first horse..and then so many per acre there after...sorry...I dont know what I was thinking...we sold a lot that was JUST under 3 acres because we could not do horses on it in St Marys.

mingiz

Horse Poor
3 acres for the first horse . A run in is not considered a stable. I just had friends buy a place with just under 3 acres and SMC told them as long as they didn't build a permanate type stable they could have a horse. They could build a run in.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
BusterDuck herself was the primary builder on that one too. She's pretty amazing! I was impressed!! But she's preggy now...so she's taking it easy. She took a fall off her horse last weekend and NEEDS to take it easy. Poor kid.

SouthernMdRocks

happyappygirl said:
BusterDuck herself was the primary builder on that one too. She's pretty amazing! I was impressed!! But she's preggy now...so she's taking it easy. She took a fall off her horse last weekend and NEEDS to take it easy. Poor kid.

Oh my, hope she's ok!!!