Small round holes all over the yard

In 20 years of living at our current residence, I've never seen all these 2" round holes all over the yard. They're everywhere! Over the years, we were becoming overrun by moles/voles. This year, I've not had one tunnel in the yard, but these round holes are everywhere. Anyone know if these might be snake holes, thus maybe the reason I'm not seeing any moles/voles? I've heard quite a few others saying they're seeing a lot of black snakes this year.

frequentflier

happy to be living
In 20 years of living at our current residence, I've never seen all these 2" round holes all over the yard. They're everywhere! Over the years, we were becoming overrun by moles/voles. This year, I've not had one tunnel in the yard, but these round holes are everywhere. Anyone know if these might be snake holes, thus maybe the reason I'm not seeing any moles/voles? I've heard quite a few others saying they're seeing a lot of black snakes this year.
I wish I could find some black snakes to rid my yard of moles/voles. There are new tunnels every day. It's not like we have a good lawn or fancy grass or anything.
We recently sprayed a mixture of Castor oil and Dawn on a large area after a good rain. Watered it in and then it rained some more. Waiting to see the results of the repellant since it does not kill them. Will need to reapply in a couple weeks.
Will someone lend me a snake or two?

Just did a search... seems brood10 isn't due until 2021 but are coming our early. So the holes are probably cicadas.

Just did a search... seems brood10 isn't due until 2021 but are coming our early. So the holes are probably cicadas.
I was thinking that, but their holes are maybe an inch, probably a little less. 2 inch sounds more like a mole/vole. Easy way to check, sneak up on the hole and look in. If you see a pair of bug eye that disappear quick down the hole, it's cicada.

littlelady

God bless the USA

It is not snakes. It is voles\moles that have destroyed some our new plantings over the years, because they eat the roots. Aggravating little devils. Also, be careful, because hornets use the borrows as nests. Also, black snakes are a good thing, and won’t hurt you. It made me sad when we had to kill a copperhead; which happened quite often. But, one has to do what one has to do when children, and pets are involved. When it was just me, I walked the other way. I don’t believe in killing any creature, unless it is true hazard. Happy yarding!

Last edited:

FED_UP

Sounds like mole/vole, I have caught one mole by using a shovel when I saw the top of the ground moving. I killed 2 voles with peanut butter on a mouse trap.

BernieP

Resident PIA
WARNING: For dog owners.
If you have moles and voles in your yard.
Be warned, dogs won't catch them (at least not as well as cats) but they will dig up your yard likes it's nobody's business.
So if you think the tunnels are bad, wait until the dogs attack their maze. Your yard will look like a moon scape.

mitzi

They never mention this area. The last brood we had was in 2013 and previously 1996. They won't be back until 2030. In 1987 (this brood they're referencing in the video) were everywhere in DC and lower PG (I worked up there then) and absolutely nothing down here. In 96 I remember doing yard work and seeing them come out of holes around the base of a big oak tree. Later on in the summer, I saw the little tiny babies crawling down the tree and going in the holes. It was pretty fascinating to watch.

marlboroman

out on the range
I wish I could find some black snakes to rid my yard of moles/voles. There are new tunnels every day. It's not like we have a good lawn or fancy grass or anything.
We recently sprayed a mixture of Castor oil and Dawn on a large area after a good rain. Watered it in and then it rained some more. Waiting to see the results of the repellant since it does not kill them. Will need to reapply in a couple weeks.
Will someone lend me a snake or two?
Keep us posted as to how your castor oil/ Dawn treatment works. We are always looking for a way to help keep the moles from eating everything in the yard!