Smart Appliances

SamSpade

I hate these damned things - because sooner or later - they turn dumb as sht.

Latest one - a dryer that turns off when it senses that the clothes are already dry.

Which until a little while ago - was exactly three minutes into the dry cycle. Sopping wet clothes.
Because - it has a SENSOR which decides if the clothes are ALREADY DRY, it can just shut off.

What do you think happens when that sensor gets messed up? Right. NOTHING gets dry. The SMART machine has "figured it out".

FIXED it. But I was this close to fixing it with a sledge hammer.

Ugh. They worked so much better when they had a dial and just turned off when the dial ran out.

limblips

PREMO Member
I thought about this the other day after my hi-tech wsher messed up (fix it tho). I grew up in a family of 8 all but one males. My mother did laundry daily for all the years we were growing up with the same old clunking, noisy, vibrating, two setting (hot or cold) monstrosity. She didn't get a new one until well after we had all left home. The only repair IIR was a belt. Same with the matching dryer, belt or two and a heating element a few times. Have we really progressed?

Clem72

I thought about this the other day after my hi-tech wsher messed up (fix it tho). I grew up in a family of 8 all but one males. My mother did laundry daily for all the years we were growing up with the same old clunking, noisy, vibrating, two setting (hot or cold) monstrosity. She didn't get a new one until well after we had all left home. The only repair IIR was a belt. Same with the matching dryer, belt or two and a heating element a few times. Have we really progressed?
I have literally never had a washing machine break in any household I have been a part of. We also never bought the high end fancy ones.

On the other hand, I think every dryer I have ever owned has had a sensor or fuse go bad, but those take $10 and 10 minutes to fix so it's not a big issue.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Ours has a "Timed dry" option. We just use that.
I scoured the instruction manual looking for this, but it did not talk about timed dry at all. Accidentally discovered that if you press the timer button as soon as you turn it on and select a time, it overrides the other dryer functions except heat level. Full manual mode.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It's like anything: the more "features" it has, the more that can break down.

Aye ... digital crap to break ....

After a couple of years The main board for our oven would ' heat up ' some the oven turned off ... segments in the display started failing after 18 months - difficult to tell the time

people are holding on to energy inefficient refrigerators of the 90s as they are still running just find DECADES later often requiring a cheap part to get them going again ... vs the new shite that breaks down in a couple of years

Kinnakeet

We are still using the same Sears Heavy Duty W / D bought 30 yrs ago, we do multiple loads per week ...
At 1 time we bought the new and great washer/dryer 5 years later went back to the old style and have had no problems yet,I could never figure out how a washing machine without the center rotator /tower what ever its called could get clothes clean as all it did was move the clothes around the bottom of the washer .