SMASH

Auntie Biache'

Chapter Coordinator from the Southern Maryland Area Secular Humanists (SMASH). We will be discussing the Drag Queen Story Hour that is scheduled to take place this Sunday at the Lexington Park Library

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
SMASH?

Isn't that the villainous organization in all the James Bond novels?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

SMASH? Isn't that the villainous organization in all the James Bond novels?
"Well everyday at the studio the man arrived standing 6'1" weighing 245. Cranking out the jams and running his route everybody knew you didn't give no kraut to the SMASH. The SMAAAAA-SH, big bad SMASH" DC 101 in the 80's. Came on at 12 Noon, I think, after the Greaseman. I do believe there is a copyright infringement issue here.:larry:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Chapter Coordinator from the Southern Maryland Area Secular Humanists (SMASH). We will be discussing the Drag Queen Story Hour that is scheduled to take place this Sunday at the Lexington Park Library

I was able to listen to most of the conversation. T-Bone said it best. If you don't like it, don't attend.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
County commissioners chime in:

Commissioners vocalize concerns with ‘Drag Queen Story Hour’ at library

The event itself, which appears to have caught quite a bit of attention with around 100 RSVP’s on Facebook, became a major talking point as a majority board of county commissioners weighed in their thoughts on it during their most recent meeting.

“Our phones have been ringing for a couple weeks now and [we’ve received] emails over ‘round three’ with our public library,” Commissioner Todd Morgan[R-District 4] said during his remarks. “Round one was ban the books, round two [was] the pole dancer, this time it is going to be the drag queen. We learned this morning from our board of education meeting that we have 700 kids enrolled in Pre-K. The target audience of the drag queen [event] coming up is going to be 3 to 9-year olds. It’s concerning to me. This to me is a pattern, and its a step-by-step pattern that is going after and targeting youth.”

However, Morgan was not alone in his stance. The only commissioner not to condescend of the forthcoming event in their remarks that was in attendance was the last to speak, Commissioner President Randy Guy, who chose not to address the topic at all.

“It’s not something I endorse or condone,” Commissioner Eric Colvin[R-District 1] said. “For our children it’s terrible. Parents, do not bring your kids to that if you are concerned about it, nobody is being forced to attend it… To my Christian brothers and sisters out there, I would urge you to remember the command that Jesus gave us, to love our neighbor as ourselves, to show the kind of love to the people who may be a little different from you… that is the only way that change will happen in this world for the better.”

Commissioner Morgan made it a point to note how there will be a “significant police presence” at the time of the event which will be from 2-5 p.m., citing how it is the job of government to always provide appropriate access to public services.

“We have a right to protect our citizens from disruption of public services, and the library is a public place,” Morgan explained. “I realize the library sits there and says that we aren't sponsoring this which they're not. The library board is a state agency which the commissioners have no control over… and it’s unfortunate but that’s the law. We went to go after the law last year and we had our butts handed to us in Annapolis.

This is not about homosexuality, it’s not about heterosexuality, stop targeting the kids for sexuality. Period. Leave the kids be kids.”

luvmygdaughters

I listened to part of the interview before having to go into work. I don't understand why they (SMASH) feel so compelled, to teach your children, its ok to be different. Isnt that the job of the parent/guardian???? I also dont understand why a man, dressed like a woman needs, to tell the story. I dont have a dog in this hunt as my kids are grown and my grandkids are not in that age bracket, but, I wouldnt feel comfortable allowing my children to attend.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I listened to part of the interview before having to go into work. I don't understand why they (SMASH) feel so compelled, to teach your children, its ok to be different. Isnt that the job of the parent/guardian???? I also dont understand why a man, dressed like a woman needs, to tell the story. I dont have a dog in this hunt as my kids are grown and my grandkids are not in that age bracket, but, I wouldnt feel comfortable allowing my children to attend.

I wouldn't want my kids or grand kids to attend either but that's my choice, for my family. I don't understand why they want to do this but that is their choice and it's the choice of each parent if they want to allow their kids to attend. Bottom line, if one doesn't like it, DON'T ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO ATTEND. See how easy that is?

The teenage lingo for having sex with someone is to SMASH them. But I'm sure this acronym was just a coincidence.

Reactions: BOP
I wouldn't want my kids or grand kids to attend either but that's my choice, for my family. I don't understand why they want to do this but that is their choice and it's the choice of each parent if they want to allow their kids to attend. Bottom line, if one doesn't like it, DON'T ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO ATTEND. See how easy that is?
I am seriously hoping like hell someone from Mary Kay wants to do a book reading of a princess saved by the prince story followed by a class in how little girls can apply makeup to make themselves more attractive to the opposite sex.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I don't understand why they want to do this

Indoctrination.

If it was simply about caring about reading skills of children, then they would show up dressed in business casual slacks or jeans and a decent shirt, and read age-appropriate materials to little children. Teaching reading skills and trying to get children interested in reading should have NOTHING to do with sexuality. I don't understand the people that feel they need to push all of this stuff on young children. For heavens sake, let children be innocent for a little while.

Indoctrination.

If it was simply about caring about reading skills of children, then they would show up dressed in business casual slacks or jeans and a decent shirt, and read age-appropriate materials to little children. Teaching reading skills and trying to get children interested in reading should have NOTHING to do with sexuality. I don't understand the people that feel they need to push all of this stuff on young children. For heavens sake, let children be innocent for a little while.
But, but... Mary Kay...:mad:

awpitt

Main Streeter
Indoctrination.

I understand and agree with what you're saying which is why no one has to have the kids attend.

I think Gwguy should read a Dennis the Menace book on behalf of Gray Pride... "We are old! We are tired! Get off our lawn!"

See, I am all for public forums being open and accessible to groups representing various view points. My problem is the "be open minded and tolerant" doesn't get applied evenly and many a protest of those screaming for tolerance have shut down public speaking events because of their intolerance of others viewpoints. Not fair and not smart because it negates the "live and let live" movement. That is what gets me frustrated.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think Gwguy should read a Dennis the Menace book on behalf of Gray Pride... "We are old! We are tired! Get off our lawn!"

See, I am all for public forums being open and accessible to groups representing various view points. My problem is the "be open minded and tolerant" doesn't get applied evenly and many a protest of those screaming for tolerance have shut down public speaking events because of their intolerance of others viewpoints. Not fair and not smart because it negates the "live and let live" movement. That is what gets me frustrated.
QFT

I think the historians from historical St. Mary's city should volunteer for a book reading... then follow it with a taste testing of colonial garden veggies... you know... like broccoli and cauliflower.