SMAWL Low Cost Rabies Vaccination Clinics

CountryLady

luvmyponies
It is a St. Mary's County regulation that all dogs and cats over four months of age be vaccinated for rabies. It only takes one evening a year to keep your pets safe and to help control rabies in our area. Horses can stay in trailer.

Rabies Clinics are held the second Monday of most months at: The St. Mary's County Fairgrounds
Typically in the 4-H building or Pavilion (weather permitting)
42455 Fairgrounds Road
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Time: 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

$10.00 each - CASH or CHECK ONLY

2010 Rabies Vaccination Clinic Schedule

March 8
April 12
May 10
June 14
July 12
August 9
September 13
October 11
November 8

To receive a three-year vaccination, you must present a current rabies certificate (not tags).

CountryLady

luvmyponies
It is a St. Mary's County regulation that all dogs and cats over four months of age be vaccinated for rabies. It only takes one evening a year to keep your pets safe and to help control rabies in our area. Horses can stay in trailer.

Rabies Clinics are held the second Monday of most months at: The St. Mary's County Fairgrounds
Typically in the 4-H building or Pavilion (weather permitting)
42455 Fairgrounds Road
Leonardtown, MD 20650

Time: 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

$10.00 each - CASH or CHECK ONLY

2010 Rabies Vaccination Clinic Schedule

March 8
April 12
May 10
June 14
July 12
August 9
September 13
October 11
November 8

To receive a three-year vaccination, you must present a current rabies certificate (not tags).

Rabies clinic today!!!

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Southern states in C/H sells single dose Progard shots at a very-very reasonable rate. You only give them 3 in the series of puppy shots instead of 4 as with other brands because it effectively over rides maternal antibodies, so you want to start and provide these shots exactly as directed (I don't start mine any earlier than 7 weeks).

We were invited by Intervet to be a part of the blood serum level immunity testing when these shots were developed, because Rotts are so much more vulnerable to Parvo than other breeds that many breeders were way over vaccinating and ruining their dog's immune systems as a result. They provide superior immunity to parvo for an extended period of time with less doses.

Vaccinate healthy dogs 6 weeks of age every 3-4 weeks until 12 weeks of age, SQ with 1mL dose. Give dogs over 12 weeks old 2 doses 3-4 weeks apart. Avoid vaccinating pregnant #####es. Revaccinate annually.
Progard 5

Hope this info helps you (or someone else). You DON'T have to be a vet to give your own pet (equine or otherwise) it's annual shots, although an annual vet check is always a good idea. Some vets will also sell you the rabies shots but only for large animals.

Small animals must be recorded by the Department of Health should a dog/cat bite someone, in order to avoid required quarantine or state testing of the brain post mortem - so a vet has to administer Rabies for it to be considered "valid".

Last edited:

BarbinMD

Next Clinic MondaY, May 10th.

Dont forget your barn cats and farm dogs.

:buddies:

There is also a rabies clinic being held this Saturday, May 8th, at the SMAWL Animla Fair. The Animal Fair will run from 10AM-3PM, but the rabies clinic will be from 1-3PM only. Rates are the same as above, $10 and only rabies vaccines will be given.

All Kinds Veterinary Hospital will also be there doing microchippiing and nail trims, the entire day. See a complete schedule of events at SMAWL - St. Mary's Animal Welfare League: Home Page .

Spicober

Little off topic, but has anyone had their Coggins done yet? I heard that there is new protocol this year that includes several pictures of the animal? We are scheduled for next week so just curious.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Little off topic, but has anyone had their Coggins done yet? I heard that there is new protocol this year that includes several pictures of the animal? We are scheduled for next week so just curious.

Some of the vets have been doing the Photo ID on the coggins for a while. It is actually a very good idea all the info is entered electronically so it is easy to read.

They do Left side, Right side, and Face shot. The Color Photos appear on the coggin's instead of the hand drawings.

I like them! Not sure if it is mandated yet tho.

I get to the farm early and brush out the horses so they arent caked with mud fro their photo Op. :killingme Saves time for the vet, and i think she appreciates that. :coffee:

Also have a good contrasting background for the photos.

Hope this helps!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I had my coggins done and had the photos taken. I think MD is the only place that is doing this along with other electronic things dealing with coggins. My show mare stays in VA and they thought it was wierd when they saw her coggins. Then the past 2 weekends at NJ and NC shows people were question me on why I had photos and I honestly couldn't tell them because I'm not really a fan of them but that is just me

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I should take Red tonight to get his Rabies done...but the circus is going on and I really don't want to deal with that mess the truck & trailer.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I like the picture coggins because if you are idiot like me who ALWAYS loses the original you can log in and reprint the document. Instead of making 40 copies to use through the year.

Also the barn manager of the farm can go in and put in the information of the horse and owner's before the vet arrives. That way the addresses are correct for both owner and farm.

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
I like the picture coggins because if you are idiot like me who ALWAYS loses the original you can log in and reprint the document. Instead of making 40 copies to use through the year.

Also the barn manager of the farm can go in and put in the information of the horse and owner's before the vet arrives. That way the addresses are correct for both owner and farm.

When I tried to do that online thing it told me it didn't have my email address and stuff.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I like the coggins w/ pics, and once they have them on file (unless something drastic changes) the photos can be used again on next years,...so in the long run it will save time.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
I should take Red tonight to get his Rabies done...but the circus is going on and I really don't want to deal with that mess the truck & trailer.

Different entrance tho I think, so it shouldn't have been too much of a problem.

I was gonna take my mare, she is not due til next month, but my truck was in the shop. So, I guess I will plan for it again in June!:buddies:

Loper

Animal Poor!

No the barn manager can't, the Vet office of who you use has to input that data. The Vet will input your data from the form and then you can access it for your own horses. :howdy: