SMC Citizens Doing What Government Can’t

TPD

the poor dad
This past weekend, local organizations in Ridge - Lions Club, Knights of Columbus, American Legion - got together and decided to ask for donations from the community to take down south to the hurricane victims. Our store, along with many other local businesses, agreed to be drop-off locations for these donations. Originally the plan was to use a U-Haul truck, but as the week progressed, the organizers realized that truck wasn’t going to be big enough. They reached out to PJs Towing who agreed to donate his time and tractor-trailer to deliver the items. All week along, donations have been coming into our store and other locations throughout the southern half of SMC. All collections are being sorted and boxed this evening and tomorrow morning at the Knights of Columbus Hall to be loaded on the truck by 3pm tomorrow afternoon for PJ to deliver this weekend.

I stopped by the Hall this evening to drop off some packing totes and was amazed at what I saw. There were more than a dozen local volunteers there sorting and boxing. The Hall was half to three quarters filled with everything from manual can openers to 50# bags of dog food, tampons to toothpaste. I spoke to one of the organizers who said he had been picking up truckloads of stuff all day from local drop-off points and had more stops to make tomorrow. I’m not sure one 53’ trailer will hold everything. I have offered my forklift and time tomorrow to pick up more items and load the pallets of donations on the truck. I hope to be able to document this with my GoPro to show the world there are people in this country who can put their political differences aside and come together for the common good of our citizens.

I was told by an organizer today that they hope to do another drive in a week or two. For the next donation drive, they will be looking for cleanup supplies - rakes, shovels, etc. I will try to keep you updated here in case you want to donate to the cause.

It is truly amazing to me that in a time of need, communities come together and do what it takes without the help of any government officials. We need to take our government back to the days of the people, by the people, for the people!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
On my way back from your place, I was thinking of stopping by to contribute to his fuel bill.
Stopped by and dropped off a donation. I'm not the only one, others had made donations as well. PJ isn't just running this one truck down, one of his drivers has made 3 trips already in the past week with heavy equipment, industrial generators, etc..., more to follow.

They would greatly appreciate any donations.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I just came from dropping off our donations. It was so heartwarming to see our little Community pull together in support of folks so desperately in need.

Thank you to everyone sorting the donations and loading everything in to the tractor-trailers. They really are doing the heavy work, with a smile.

I saw @TPD 's truck, but I didn't see him. Thank you for everything you're doing, Dude! 👏

Last edited:

TPD

the poor dad
Wow what day ! The semi is loaded- we’re waiting on a smaller trailer to load because we still have more stuff coming in.

Thx to the St Michaels School kids who came in for more than 2 hours to help us move and sort boxes - wow those kids were a great help!

IMG_2400.jpeg
IMG_2404.jpeg
IMG_2405.jpeg

TPD

the poor dad
Just walked into the house. We finished up everything about 9:30, but after taking my skidsteer back to the farm, I had to stop at the American Legion for an adult beverage and debrief. A long but rewarding day! Thx to everyone who donated to the cause. Trucks are headed out about midnight to head to the Asheville area.

Chopticon64

I’m not sure where the assumption came from that the government will save you, but I’m older than a lot of you, I actually voted for Reagan.

The government won’t save you, that was never its job. Is it a Trump thing? These folks thinking some entity will save them?

You’re doing great work, keep it up!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My family in Greenville SC finally power back on last night. Upstate SC was pretty much ignored from what they said.

I didn't even know they were affected.

Things like this highlight how horrible our government and news media are. We pay government to take care of people in an emergency, then private citizens have to do it themselves anyway because government can't get their sh*t together and PS spent all the money we gave them on illegal aliens and foreign wars. Our news media only reports it when there's a Republican they can blame it on - during Katrina the coverage was 24/7 nonstop, raking Bush over the coals.

I'm glad I live in FL because at least I have a Governor who gives a damn.

TPD

the poor dad
Here is the video I put together from Friday while sorting and loading everything. After reviewing all of the video footage, I am amazed how we all came together and got it done with no real plan - organized chaos that went very smoothly. Everyone jumped in and did what needed to be done. There was a site coordinator, but she was overwhelmed at times so the rest of us just jumped in and made executive decisions as needed. We all knew what the end goal was. At about the 26min mark where I sped the video up while we were loading a trailer, we look like a bunch of ants getting it done! Enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed helping out on Friday.

TPD

the poor dad
I've got a cousin who lives in Valdosta Georgia. That area was hit hard with wind damage. They lost power so went to Jacksonville to stay for about 5 days until power was restored. This is what they came back to in their town.

Valdosta.jpg

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Here is the video I put together from Friday while sorting and loading everything. After reviewing all of the video footage, I am amazed how we all came together and got it done with no real plan - organized chaos that went very smoothly. Everyone jumped in and did what needed to be done. There was a site coordinator, but she was overwhelmed at times so the rest of us just jumped in and made executive decisions as needed. We all knew what the end goal was. At about the 26min mark where I sped the video up while we were loading a trailer, we look like a bunch of ants getting it done! Enjoy the video as much as I enjoyed helping out on Friday.

Just amazing.