SMC Tax Assesments

Agee

My last couple of tax assessments from St. Mary's county have shown my home value decreasing. I thought the general trend for this area was a upswing in home value?

BlueOx77

My last couple of tax assessments from St. Mary's county have shown my home value decreasing. I thought the general trend for this area was a upswing in home value?

Residential assessments have been generally flat recently. Individually, decreasing assessments are a good thing. It means your property tax bill won't be as much as before.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I have not seen a recent one but the state-assessed value on my island property dropped significantly after the "big crash" in 2009. But that never resulted in any reduction in my tax bill because the taxable assessed value, which is constrained bu the limit on allowable annual increase, remained still below the full assessed value. In fact, my tax bill always increases, year to year.

BlueOx77

There's always that phase-in period where after our assessments go up, we are paying off that increase over time since we have that 5-percent cap here in St. Mary's. If you are finished paying off those increases in value and your new assessed value decreases, there should be an immediate savings realized. But yeah, generally here in the county, we don't see our property taxes decrease too much. I think I might save $58 in my property taxes this year after my assessments went down.

Agee

Residential assessments have been generally flat recently. Individually, decreasing assessments are a good thing. It means your property tax bill won't be as much as before.

It does keep your tax bill lower, but has the reverse effect if you're trying to re-fi or take out a home equity line of credit.

Goldenhawk

It does keep your tax bill lower, but has the reverse effect if you're trying to re-fi or take out a home equity line of credit.
Get an appraisal. A good appraiser doesn't depend on the tax bill which they understand is more political than useful for sales valuation.