SMCPS policy for teachers children

foodforthought

Seems as though teachers children who attend the same school are always present in the classroom when there is an event while school is not in session. Just wondering what the policy was on this? I have even had teachers children present during conferences for my child over the years. Do teachers normally transfer their children to which school they are teaching at?

TIA

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Not SMCPS, but in Calvert Co, I've seen kids in classes their parents are the teachers. Also, seen the VP of a school have her child enrolled in that school instead of the one where he was supposed to go. I don't mind the VP situation but I'm wary of teachers teaching their own kid. Even if there isn't, there could be favoritism or leniency towards the child that is perceived.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Not SMCPS, but in Calvert Co, I've seen kids in classes their parents are the teachers. Also, seen the VP of a school have her child enrolled in that school instead of the one where he was supposed to go. I don't mind the VP situation but I'm wary of teachers teaching their own kid. Even if there isn't, there could be favoritism or leniency towards the child that is perceived.

I know a number of teachers who's kids attend the same school. I'm not aware of any case where the teacher actually taught their own kid.

sockgirl77

In St. Mary's they allow teachers' kids to go to whatever school that they teach at. However, I've never heard of a teacher being allowed to teach their own child. :shrug:

dash1975

My wife is a teacher in SMCPS and yes our kids go to her school even though that is not where they are zoned. For us it is about convenience. My wife also does not teach our kids in any of the classes so that is never an issue. It is nice we don't have to worry about day care and such. Another thing is that she never lets them in her room when there is parent teacher conferences and such.

foodforthought

My wife is a teacher in SMCPS and yes our kids go to her school even though that is not where they are zoned. For us it is about convenience. My wife also does not teach our kids in any of the classes so that is never an issue. It is nice we don't have to worry about day care and such. Another thing is that she never lets them in her room when there is parent teacher conferences and such.

Makes total sense! Very convenient I would say too. What happens on professional days and such, do the kids still go to school with her? Obviously if she is in training they can't but what about otherwise if school is out?

dash1975

On professional days I usually work from home on those days if possible. If I am on travel we have a friend that runs a day care and she takes them for the day. Can't use her all the time but she has never let us down yet!!

Erk

Grin, back last century (I love saying that) in 1982 I had my mother for World History in NC. She was the only one that taught what would now be called AP in my high school, so they had to put me in there. I had a 97 average. I got a 'B'. She explained to me very clearly that I was going to work twice as hard and then get a letter grade knocked off to avoid the critics. Funny, it would make her mad if I called her anything but 'Mother' in class though. Love that grand old lady, still going strong at 83. She taught for 36 years, 12th grade the whole time.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Can you imagine the parent teacher conferences if the teachers taught their own kids? :lol:

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Schools try to avoid scheduling teachers with their own kids unless there is no other way, as in Erk's case.

What really happens, in real life, not some bull#### story about teachers/teacher's associations/schools, etc. that you will see from some Forum members, is that the kid usually has a rougher time because Mom/Dad makes it harder on the kid. Again, like with Erk.

I had a friend whose son didn't graduate because he failed Dad's required class (Speech) his senior year. Dad was the only teacher with the class and kid needed something like a percent or two 4th quarter and it didn't happen.

itsrequired

Right......because that is what a parent is going to want for their child. Show leniency or favoritism in their grading so that their child doesn't get the full learning experience. Makes sense to me.:sarcasm:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Right......because that is what a parent is going to want for their child. Show leniency or favoritism in their grading so that their child doesn't get the full learning experience. Makes sense to me.:sarcasm:

I was talking about outsiders thinking that the child is only doing well because the parent is their teacher, not the teacher/parent taking it easy on their kid. In reality, I know several people who have had their parents as teacher and they expected more out of their kid than the rest of the class. Like Erk said, they ended up being harder on their kid.

Natron0915

Grin, back last century (I love saying that) in 1982 I had my mother for World History in NC. She was the only one that taught what would now be called AP in my high school, so they had to put me in there. I had a 97 average. I got a 'B'. She explained to me very clearly that I was going to work twice as hard and then get a letter grade knocked off to avoid the critics. Funny, it would make her mad if I called her anything but 'Mother' in class though. Love that grand old lady, still going strong at 83. She taught for 36 years, 12th grade the whole time.

Yup. Dad taught US History while my brother and I attended. I didn't have him, but bro did. Said it was the toughest class on the schedule. This was in PA back in the late 80's early 90's.