SMECO and insulation

SamSpade

In the past I've used their rebates for appliances - sometimes they're so ubiquitous the retailers aleady know and help you out.

I'm about to start insulating an attic LONG overdue - but I can't find anything on SMECO that says they'll discount anything.
Maybe I am not looking hard enough.

Also - I think there's a tax credit for insulating. Anyone hear of that one?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Also - I think there's a tax credit for insulating. Anyone hear of that one?
I pulled up my Turbo Tax 2020 and got this from the instructions, not sure if will apply in 2021:
Home Energy Credits

What are the home (residential) energy credits?
Do I qualify?
What paperwork do I need?
Related deductions and credits

What are the residential energy credits?

The Residential Energy Credits for 2020 consist of the nonbusiness energy property credit and the residential property credit.

Important: If less than 80% of the use of an item is for nonbusiness purposes, you can claim only the personal use portion of the costs to determine the credits. For example, if your business usage of the doors and windows you installed is 82%, then you can claim only 18% of the cost of these items when determining your credit.

Don't forget to reduce your purchase price of any energy-efficient property by the amount of a subsidy you received from a public utility for the purchase of the equipment. If you include the subsidy in your income you don't have to make this adjustment.

Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit equals 10 percent of what a homeowner spends on eligible energy-saving improvements , up to a maximum tax credit of $500 for the combined years since 2006. The cost of certain high-efficiency heating and air conditioning systems, water heaters and stoves that burn biomass all qualify, along with labor costs for installing these items.

In addition, the cost of energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs also qualify for the credit, though the cost of installing these items does not count. By spending as little as $5,000 before the end of the year on eligible energy-saving improvements, a homeowner can save as much as $500 on his or her 2020 federal income tax return.

Note: Due to limits based on tax liability, other credits claimed by a particular taxpayer and other factors, actual tax savings will vary. These tax savings are on top of any energy savings that may result.

Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit The residential energy efficient property credit, equals 30 percent of what a homeowner spends on qualifying property such as solar electric systems, solar hot water heaters, geothermal heat pumps, wind turbines, and fuel cell property. Generally, labor costs are included when calculating this credit. Also, no cap exists on the amount of credit available except in the case of fuel cell property. Qualified fuel cell property is limited to $500 for each one-half kilowatt of capacity of the property.

Not all energy-efficient improvements qualify for these tax credits. For that reason, homeowners should check the manufacturer's tax credit certification statement before purchasing or installing any of these improvements. The certification statement can usually be found on the manufacturer's website or with the product packaging. Normally, a homeowner can rely on this certification. The IRS cautions that the manufacturer's certification is different from the Department of Energy's Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.

Eligible homeowners can claim both of the residential energy credits when they file their federal income tax return. Because these are credits, not deductions, they increase a taxpayer's refund or reduce the tax he or she owes.

Note: Keep in mind, these are not refundable credits, which means you can take the credit up to the tax owed. There is no refund of any credit amount left over.

Further information on these credits can be obtained in IRS Form 5695. This form and more information can also be obtained through IRS.gov

Do I qualify for the residential energy credits?

Eligibility requirements

- Qualifying improvements had to be installed in your main home. Your main home is the property you live in the majority of the time.

- Your main home must have been located in the United States.

Eligible homeowners can claim both of these credits when they file their 2020 federal income tax return. Because these are credits, not deductions, they increase a taxpayer's refund or reduce the tax he or she owes.

Homeowners should check for the following:
  • the manufacturer's tax credit certification statement before purchasing or installing any of these improvements (usually found on the manufacturer's website or with the product packaging. NOTE: The credit certification is for your records and NOT sent to the IRS.
  • the IRS cautions that the manufacturer's certification is different from the Department of Energy's Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.
Limitations of this credit

- Energy-efficient improvements made to second homes or vacation homes do not qualify.

- You must have owned the home -- improvements made to a property that you rented from someone else do not qualify.

- You cannot take this credit for equipment used to heat a swimming pool or hot tub.

- This credit is nonrefundable, which means the credit amount you receive will not exceed the amount of tax you owe. Therefore, there is no refund.

Example: If you owed $375 in taxes, but you received a nonrefundable credit of $500, the tax you owed was reduced to zero, and the remaining $125 was lost. You would not receive a refund for the remaining $125.

Special circumstances or exceptions

- If you made improvements to a multiple dwelling unit (that is, you own a property and live in just one of the units), you could have claimed this credit for the portion applicable to your main home.

Labor Costs
- You can claim the credit only after the original installation is completed.
  • Most of the labor costs allocated for Nonbusiness Energy Property and Residential Energy Efficient Property may be included, except energy-efficient windows and skylights, energy-efficient doors, qualifying insulation and certain roofs.
  • This includes onsite preparation, assembly, or original installation of the property, and piping and wiring used to connect the energy efficient property to the home.
What paperwork do I need for the residential energy credits?

- If you qualify, TurboTax will fill out the form for you. These credits are claimed on Form 5695.

- To claim this credit, refer to your receipts for purchases of energy-efficiency improvements and property. You don't need to include these with your return.

Homeowners should check for the following:
  • the manufacturer's tax credit certification statement before purchasing or installing any of these improvements (usually found on the manufacturer's website or with the product packaging.
  • the IRS cautions that the manufacturer's certification is different from the Department of Energy's Energy Star label, and not all Energy Star labeled products qualify for the tax credits.
- It's important to keep your receipts for the energy-efficient improvements that you made because any residential energy credits on your return will be used later to help determine gain or loss on the sale of your home.

Deductions and credits related to the residential energy credits

-Eligible homeowners can claim both Nonbusiness Energy Property Credit and Residential Energy Efficient Property Credit when they file their 2020 federal income tax return. Because these are credits, not deductions, they increase a taxpayer's refund or reduce the tax he or she owes.

- Many states offer similar energy-related credits, including Arizona, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Montana, New Mexico, and Oregon. Contact your state tax agency to learn more.