Smeco won't turn on my power untill Monday?!?!

mamatutu

mama to two

What part don't you get? You have made comments like this before. I am 5 months shy of being 60. I worked for 25 years, and contributed financially to my household. My husband happens to have a job that he can pick when he retires. He chooses not to retire because he loves what he does. So what is your point, exactly? And, what does your trolling have to do with Smeco bills? At least, I try to stay on topic. TIA for your reply to my questions. You are a peach!

BernieP

Resident PIA
You didn't just forget to pay your electric bill for one month - it takes many months of delinquency before power is turned off so before complaining about how much it will cost you to run your genny, you should have considered this before spending all your money on vacation. No sympathy here.

I was going to say, must have been a hell of a long vacation.

inkah

Whoops! , we left for vacation and forgot to pay the electric bill. Last night we came home,from vacation, to a dark house.The good new is, we think they cut it off late Friday. No problem, we have the money to pay, so I called them up. After giving them the CC information, they inform us that they won't turn it back on until Monday. So 10:30 at night we're out there with the generator, again no problem, lights are on. Here's the part that really sucks, it's going to cost me a small fortune to run that thing until Monday.
Does anyone know of a phone number, IE hotline complaint line, to call to get Smeco out to do the right thing, earlier then Monday?
Thanks

I might be repeating a sentiment here, but how the heck long was your vacay? And are you new to having an electric bill? And don't you have a phone and credit card to pay bills when you "forget" to send a check?
And by the time they actually shut you down, the bill is WAY past "past due".
You might want to think more about whether or not YOU are doing the right thing...
Just a thought.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Whoops! , we left for vacation and forgot to pay the electric bill. Last night we came home,from vacation, to a dark house.The good new is, we think they cut it off late Friday. No problem, we have the money to pay, so I called them up. After giving them the CC information, they inform us that they won't turn it back on until Monday. So 10:30 at night we're out there with the generator, again no problem, lights are on. Here's the part that really sucks, it's going to cost me a small fortune to run that thing until Monday.
Does anyone know of a phone number, IE hotline complaint line, to call to get Smeco out to do the right thing, earlier then Monday?
Thanks

Well, it's Monday. What's the good word?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
You didn't just forget to pay your electric bill for one month - it takes many months of delinquency before power is turned off so before complaining about how much it will cost you to run your genny, you should have considered this before spending all your money on vacation. No sympathy here.

:dingding:

Christy

b*tch rocket

Not with SMECO, it's only about a month I think. I know quite a number of people who have had their power cut off quickly for forgetting. It happens. :shrug: I've only ever had my cable cut off because I was a durhard and forgot to pay the bill. Fortunately, they turn that #### right back on as soon as you pay. Good thing too, life without the interwebz is just not worth living. :drama:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My boys had just gotten back from Best Buy with video games when our power went out because this durhead (who has never written a bad check or paid a bill late) didn't pay the electric bill for 2 months. :shrug: In my defense I was on automatic billing and didn't change my debit card expiration date. Yeah... they sent me emails but I never read them. I really thought they were your standard "thanks for paying your bill" emails.

After I paid it, they has us back in service within 4 hours. Now every time the electric goes out my boys ask... "mom, did you pay the bill?" This has gone on for 4-5 years now since that was how long ago it all happened.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In my defense I was on automatic billing and didn't change my debit card expiration date. Yeah... they sent me emails but I never read them.

That has bitten me more than once..that and having to cancel cards due to a fraudulent charge. I've stopped going "all electronic and automatic" because of that; its a major PITA when you have to cancel a card, and that is now necessary every year or two, it seems...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just had a vision of you sitting in a rocker on the porch, boot legs crossed with a grass straw in yer mouth "Yep..."

..and then he turned to his side and spit some 'backy juice..nice clean shot that made the spittoon ring.

TPD

the poor dad
No, that was standard practice about 10 years ago for them to automatically enroll you in paperless billing if you made a single online payment.

This may have been the practice as recently as 4 years ago. I made a 1 time online payment - never recall seeing or checking a box that said paperless option because I am old fashioned - send me the bill, I will mail a check to you. I continued getting paper statements for about 4 months after this one-time online payment, but for some reason they stopped. No paper statements, no emails. The last bill I paid to SMECO was in December. Wasn't until May - 5 months later - that the crew showed up to cut my power. Luckily wife was home on her lunch break and was able to make payment to keep electric on. After a phone call to SMECO the next day, we still don't know what happened. I never even got the pink notices from them for 5 months. So yeah, in my case, I went 5 months without paying before they caught up to me. Of course my wife tried to argue with the crew saying that she was sure the bill was paid because I am never late. Guess who doesn't catch a break anymore?

So before you say how did I not know I was not paying the electric bill for months - I have 2 businesses and a rental. I write over a hundred checks per month. I don't have a check list of everything that needs to be paid because I pay everything on time WHEN I receive the bill in the mail. I don't go for that automatic or online pay stuff - I want control of my money. Besides, I can't remember all of those damn passwords…at least one capital, one special character, 2 numbers, a backspace, 3 hyphens….

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not with SMECO, it's only about a month I think. I know quite a number of people who have had their power cut off quickly for forgetting. It happens. :shrug: I've only ever had my cable cut off because I was a durhard and forgot to pay the bill. Fortunately, they turn that #### right back on as soon as you pay. Good thing too, life without the interwebz is just not worth living. :drama:

:lmao: