Smeco won't turn on my power untill Monday?!?!

nelsonmuntz

Whoops! , we left for vacation and forgot to pay the electric bill. Last night we came home,from vacation, to a dark house.The good new is, we think they cut it off late Friday. No problem, we have the money to pay, so I called them up. After giving them the CC information, they inform us that they won't turn it back on until Monday. So 10:30 at night we're out there with the generator, again no problem, lights are on. Here's the part that really sucks, it's going to cost me a small fortune to run that thing until Monday.
Does anyone know of a phone number, IE hotline complaint line, to call to get Smeco out to do the right thing, earlier then Monday?
Thanks

Roman

I think you might be SOL Nelson. Unless you or a family member requires oxygen, or breathing treatments.

TPD

the poor dad
You didn't just forget to pay your electric bill for one month - it takes many months of delinquency before power is turned off so before complaining about how much it will cost you to run your genny, you should have considered this before spending all your money on vacation. No sympathy here.

tommyjo

What "right thing"? You didn't pay your bill. Bills can be paid automatically from a checking account or credit card. Bills can be paid over the phone, thru the mail or in person.

According to Smeco's website, they give 20 days after the bill is due and another 14 days beyond that before termination is considered. Unless you were on vacation for a month, you were likely already delinquent when you left town.

Also according to their site:

A reconnection fee of $36 will be charged when service is reconnected during Co-op working hours. These hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays). A fee of $133 will be charged when a reconnection is made outside the Co-op’s regular working hours. SMECO is not obligated to reconnect service after regular business hours when service has been disconnected due to nonpayment.

If you can come on here and whine, you can look up SMECO's reconnection policies: http://www.smeco.coop/yourAccount/terminationPolicies/terminationAndReconnectionPolicies.aspx

The entity that didn't "do the right thing" was you. So either pay for the gas to power the generator or pay Smeco to come out to reconnect your power over the weekend.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
you didn't just forget to pay your electric bill for one month - it takes many months of delinquency before power is turned off so before complaining about how much it will cost you to run your genny, you should have considered this before spending all your money on vacation. No sympathy here.
like!!!!!!!!!!

mitzi

You didn't just forget to pay your electric bill for one month - it takes many months of delinquency before power is turned off so before complaining about how much it will cost you to run your genny, you should have considered this before spending all your money on vacation. No sympathy here.

They also send out the dreaded pink notice with a termination date. They give you ample time and notice. The "right thing" would have been to pay attention to your bills and mail. You can't blame or complain about SMECO.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

I know that if you ever pay your bill online SMECO would quit sending you a paper bill. They got me with this once about 10 years ago. I called to see where my bill was though. Not getting a paper bill was a total surprise though.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I know that if you ever pay your bill online SMECO would quit sending you a paper bill. They got me with this once about 10 years ago. I called to see where my bill was though. Not getting a paper bill was a total surprise though.
I called them and asked to have the paper bill sent and they complied. Don't really need it though. Mine is auto pay.

GW8345

Not White House Approved

I've been paying my bill online for years and still get paper copy bills every month.:shrug:

dave1959

I've been paying my bill online for years and still get paper copy bills every month.:shrug:

Used to be if you paid with their online bill pay you would no longer get a paper bill. If you use you bank bill pay you can still get one, that's what I've done for years.

mamatutu

mama to two
I try not to look at my bill every month. :faint: My husband pays the bills. He says the bills are better now that we had some energy saving work done.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
When you sign in the first time with your account you are granted the option to continue to receive paper copies, or only electronic copies. The yes option is usually already checked, so many probably didnt read the page and just clicked "I agree".

Also I am glad others realized that they just don't turn off your power because you forgot to pay. They give you plenty of warning.

mamatutu

mama to two

It is called marriage, and sharing the responsibilities, but you would know nothing about that. You are not married, are you? One thing I will say, you never miss a chance to troll. The mamatutu posted alarm must be working very well, and it is free! :roflmao: