Smoking, seriously

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In the year and a half since I quit smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day, I've been sick more than I have probably in the whole rest of my life put together. Flu bug, bronchial, blah blah blah, one thing after another. I remember that when my mom quit smoking a thousand years ago, too, that she suddenly was always sick with some bug.

So how do you anti-smoking zealots explain that? Because this is not anecdotal, this is a true first-person account of my own health and what I have personally observed.

Roman

I've heard of this happening before. Do you take any vitamins? Take vitamin C as well as other vitamins that gear toward the immune system, and you will see a difference. I am a smoker, and am NOT proud of that, and I work around sick people all the time, yet I rarely get sick. Now that I'm kind of bragging about this, I'll probably get my first cold in years. Taking vitamins at night when the metabolism is slower, is the best time to take them. Here are the vitamins I take. Centrum Silver, vitamin C 500 Mg, Acidophilus, vitamin D 5,000, and Coenzyme 200 Mg twice a day. I swear by this.

dan0623_2000

All that nicotine in your lungs ate all those nasty virus bugs before they had a chance to invade your body.

Seriously, I had the same thing about 23 years ago when I quit at 2 1/2 packs a day. Now ex-wife and myself both went cold turkey at same time to quit. Amazing we didn't kill each other LOL

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I've heard of this happening before. Do you take any vitamins? Take vitamin C as well as other vitamins that gear toward the immune system, and you will see a difference. I am a smoker, and am NOT proud of that, and I work around sick people all the time, yet I rarely get sick. Now that I'm kind of bragging about this, I'll probably get my first cold in years. Taking vitamins at night when the metabolism is slower, is the best time to take them. Here are the vitamins I take. Centrum Silver, vitamin C 500 Mg, Acidophilus, vitamin D 5,000, and Coenzyme 200 Mg twice a day. I swear by this.

I do not take vitamins except for sporadically when I remember to do it. But I eat for nutrition, and the doc says my blood looks good in that regard, so I don't worry about it.

But really, the best I ever felt in my life is when I smoked 2 packs a day, ate steak all the time, and drank copious amounts of alcohol. This clean living is killing me.

Roman

I do not take vitamins except for sporadically when I remember to do it. But I eat for nutrition, and the doc says my blood looks good in that regard, so I don't worry about it.

But really, the best I ever felt in my life is when I smoked 2 packs a day, ate steak all the time, and drank copious amounts of alcohol. This clean living is killing me.
Please don't go back to smoking! You have to take vitamins on a regular basis in order for the to be effective. Even though you eat for the nutritional value, it wouldn't hurt to take vitamins. Especially ones for the immune health. I use to always get colds, at least 3 a year. I honestly can't tell you the last time I had one. It's been at least 4 years. I'm 60 years old, and would catch every germ that was around. With being a smoker, we get sick a lot more than the non-smoker, because cigarette smoking messes with the immune system. I hope you feel better soon, and keep up the good work on the not smoking issue.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Add the alcohol back in and keep your BAC high enough to kill anything even trying to make you sick.

Ahhh! Great idea! :high5:

Please don't go back to smoking!

I didn't quit smoking for my health - I quit because I didn't want to give Terry McAuliffe or Martin O'Malley any more tax money. Plus if I took up chain smoking again Monello would turn the fire hose on me.

luvmygdaughters

Work with a guy who smoked 2-2 1/2 packs a day. He quit cold turkey in September 2014, he is complaining of the same, he has had several colds, sinus infections and throat ailments since he quit. Swore he never ever so much as caught a cold before. He has gone back to smoking, but cut back quite a bit. Something to think about. Didn't I read somewhere that tobacco or nicotine had something to do with helping cure ebola victims? I turn 60 this year, I smoke, but a pack of ciggs will last me two days, a box of wine a week. I don't get sick, maybe a cold once a in a while. My hubby has never smoked, in the last two years, he has been diagnosed with bladder cancer, had two stents put in, had a quadtruple bypass and was just diagnosed with Afib, which is under control with medication. Go figure.

Roman

Ahhh! Great idea! :high5:

I didn't quit smoking for my health - I quit because I didn't want to give Terry McAuliffe or Martin O'Malley any more tax money. Plus if I took up chain smoking again Monello would turn the fire hose on me.
That is the reason I go to another state to get mine!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Just guessing but I would say that it is probably because you are once again breathing more deeply and getting all of those bugs deeper into your lungs where they can take hold. Before you quit you were hacking them out before they could get that deep into your lungs.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
When you smoke you kill the little tiny hair like cilia that line your throat, lungs, sinuses and Eustachian (sp?) tubes. they are killed or paralyzed and are eventually, if you smoke enough, replaced by damaged cells that may turn cancerous, hence the increased cancer risk in smokers. When you quit smoking the cells begin to regenerate where they haven't been completely damaged and can move a lot of mucus and phlegm around in your respiratory tract. This of course does leave you open to infection while everything is clearing out. Infections make you susceptible to compounding infections etc etc. add to that a rather active flu season and the psychological aspect of justifying a well ingrained habit and you get a recipe for a very common experience among people who quit. Nearly everyone I know who quit complains for awhile after they are sicker, fatter, sadder and more anxious or at leat one of those. But it fades out and eventually I think you'll find your health is better overall. If nothing else, you are saving the cash.

mitzi

Roll your own and you can get the per carton price down to the $10/11 range. :yay:

That's what I've been doing for almost a year now. I have a little machine that packs them so I'm not really rolling them. That would be a failure if I tried to do that.

Roman

Roll your own and you can get the per carton price down to the $10/11 range. :yay:
I am lazy that way. I do have a bag, and a roller just in case of bad weather. I keep the unopened bag in my freezer, hoping it was stay fresh.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Cigarette use by nation

Number is the average number of cigarettes smoked per year

1 Serbia 2924
2 Bulgaria 2,822
3 Greece 2,795
4 Russia 2,786
5 Moldova 2,479
6 Ukraine 2,401
7 Slovenia 2,360
8 Bosnia and Herzegovina 2,278
9 Belarus 2,266
10 Montenegro 2,157
11 Lebanon 2,139
12 Czech Republic 2,125
13 South Korea 1,958
14 Republic of Macedonia 1,934
15 Kazakhstan 1,934
16 Azerbaijan 1,877
17 Japan 1,841
18 Kuwait 1,812
19 Spain 1,757
20 Switzerland 1,722
21 China 1,711
22 Austria 1,650
23 Tunisia 1,628
24 Croatia 1,621
25 Armenia

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
That's what I've been doing for almost a year now. I have a little machine that packs them so I'm not really rolling them. That would be a failure if I tried to do that.

Yeah, I have a machine that "packs" the filtered tubes (both 100s and Kings), I still call it rolling though. :biggrin: I've been doing it for just about four years and it saves a ton of money (almost all excise taxes) with two smokers. And they don't go out if you rest them for a few seconds in an ash tray.