Smooth move, Exlax

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
This week will be an interesting one.

On one hand, we hear the WH saying this upcoming week will be brutal. On the other, increased testing is providing data that while COVID-19 is bad, it isn't Spanish Flu bad. Whether that's the result of isolation measures or actual severity (or a combination of things) is still up for debate. HOWEVER....

I can't help but wonder if the "two hands" (see, paragraph above) aren't contradictory. Is it possible that Trump is "leading and pacing" to juggle the opposing views (i.e., "it's bad" and "it's nothing") to get us thru this week with the goal of easing up restrictions on/about Easter (as he promised a couple of weeks back)? This would be masterful; addressing the concerns of the opposing views and taking the political advantage away from those who are using COVID-19 as a political weapon against him.

What's causing me to consider this potential play by Trump is the increasing number of folks who are saying things like this:

And this:

EDIT: Let me add this:

In other words, Trump had to do something (especially IF the virus was as bad as initially reported). But he didn't have to go overboard. And that's what I keep seeing from his daily pressers: that he resists going full-on dictator.

Regardless, Trump can claim "victory" against his political enemies either way. This is not to minimize the health aspect of COVID-19; simply to acknowledge and ponder the political aspect (important on any given day, more important in that this is a presidential election year). One reason why I thought this was worth posting:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, random-ish thoughts. I give it one more week. If the numbers aren't as terrible as Trump "primed" us to believe they will be I'm betting restrictions start easing (in some form or fashion) by (initial) Tax Day. And if they are as bad, then Trump still has room to maneuver.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In other words, Trump had to do something (especially IF virus was as bad as initially reported). But he didn't have to go overboard. And that's what I keep seeing from his daily pressers: that he resists going fill-on dictator.

He should just break bad. We the Sheeple demand it. People (like me, for instance) have been saying this all along:

And the hysterics have been freaking out, begging for complete martial law and total subjugation, to the point that they'll tattle on their neighbors for having a small gathering.

They should be ashamed of themselves, but I know they're not.

Anyway, sentient beings understand that this is a media manufactured "crisis". So I don't want to discuss "if", I want to discuss "why". My take is that the media - who initially downplayed the virus - wanted to take a poke at Trump and it got out of hand. That's why the Democrats are desperately trying to do damage control and rouse their rabble for another impeachment hearing - to distract their remaining bots.

herb749

Trump is really in a no win situation. Each day some writer will post an opinion with the drastic results about killing everyone. I also post on sports forums. There are people posting on there about never going to another sporting event because of being around other people. I've gone to sports events for years. People with colds show up all the time. You could just as sure catch it from them, it turns into pneumonia, and you die.

Trumps problem is if he says go to a ballgame and one person gets sick & dies its his fault. The media needs to get off this that's what he said when he didn't. He said he'd like to see the country get back to work by Easter, whereas the media says he will open up the country by Easter. He did the same thing yesterday where he said he'd like to see sports start up. Of course there's the media saying he said they have to.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Trump is really in a no win situation. Each day some writer will post an opinion with the drastic results about killing everyone. I also post on sports forums. There are people posting on there about never going to another sporting event because of being around other people. I've gone to sports events for years. People with colds show up all the time. You could just as sure catch it from them, it turns into pneumonia, and you die.

Trumps problem is if he says go to a ballgame and one person gets sick & dies its his fault. The media needs to get off this that's what he said when he didn't. He said he'd like to see the country get back to work by Easter, whereas the media says he will open up the country by Easter. He did the same thing yesterday where he said he'd like to see sports start up. Of course there's the media saying he said they have to.

As long as there are dimwits who consume biased fakenews instead of taking time out of their oh so busy lives to actually watch Trump's pressers, we will have this sort of ignorance. As long as the masses are so easily led by the press, nothing will change. And now that they know it works, expect this to become a regular political tactic.

Hijinx

Trump was more or less forced into this mess by the Dems and the media.
He did what he had to do ,but one day we will go back to work and the first one to die will open up the flood gates of the media saying Trump killed people.

Nancy Pelosi will be one of the biggest accusers. She is already saying he killed people by waiting too long.
And this BS investigation about how Trump has handled this emergency, she should have that stuck right up her butt.
Nothing more than a political ploy.
If Trump doesn't win in a landslide this year it will be aforewarning of bad things to come.

Every state is unique in so many ways a federal mandate makes no sense. Even from the start it should be left to the state level government to have a disaster plan and act accordingly based on how the threat (whatever it may be) measures.

Trump has been saying that from the start and says it again in every press conference. I think he is biting at the bit for the federal level to begin a stand down. Each state would then continue to govern their own state's situation.

I am intrigued at the idea of Trump having this planned out.

herb749

If they want to shut down all the states just have the media show up. They seem to drag it everywhere they go. If they were following the quarantine protocols many of the networks should have shut down. When Chris Cuomo supposedly got it, did all his show people involved go into quarantine.? Haven't heard that one.

DaSDGuy

On one hand, we hear the WH saying this upcoming week will be brutal. On the other, increased testing is providing data that while COVID-19 is bad, it isn't Spanish Flu bad. Whether that's the result of isolation measures or actual severity (or a combination of things) is still up for debate. HOWEVER....

I can't help but wonder if the "two hands" (see, paragraph above) aren't contradictory. Is it possible that Trump is "leading and pacing" to juggle the opposing views (i.e., "it's bad" and "it's nothing") to get us thru this week with the goal of easing up restrictions on/about Easter (as he promised a couple of weeks back). This would be masterful; addressing the concerns of the opposing views and taking the political advantage away from those who are using COVID-19 as a political weapon against him.

What's causing me to consider this potential play by Trump is the increasing number of folks who are saying things like this:

And this:

In other words, Trump had to do something (especially IF the virus was as bad as initially reported). But he didn't have to go overboard. And that's what I keep seeing from his daily pressers: that he resists going fill-on dictator.

Regardless, Trump can claim "victory" against his political enemies either way. This is not to minimize the health aspect of COVID-19; simply to acknowledge and ponder the political aspect (important on any given day, more important in that this is a presidential election year). One reason why I thought this was worth posting:

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, random-ish thoughts. I give it one more week. If the numbers aren't as terrible as Trump "primed" us to believe they will be I'm betting restrictions start easing (in some form or fashion) by (initial) Tax Day. And if they are as bad, then Trump still has room to maneuver.

--- End of line (MCP)
Spanish Flu U.S. deaths were estimated to be 675,000. That's bad.

Yooper

Trump is really in a no win situation.
Unless he has a bigger strategic picture in mind. Wasn't it Chesty Puller who said, "We are surrounded on all sides; we have the enemy just where we want them"? ( I guess I should check....)

Sure, Trump's opponents will try to pin every death on him* just as they try to pin every unemployed person on him. Regardless, he's doing excellent (IMHO) persuasion to prep the country for whichever way this goes.

I can't disagree with our government's initial response as what comes out of the data cruncher is only as good as what goes into the data cruncher. And it's becoming more apparent that the "in" wasn't really very accurate.

So I'm slowly switching over to the "it's not so bad" view because the MSM has changed its narrative. What I mean by this is that the MSM has moved from "numbers of deaths" (an important statistic) to "numbers infected" (a more "click-baity" number, but lacks critical context). I still think COVID-19 is bad (several times worse than seasonal influenza), but it's not EOTWAWKI bad (magnitudes less bad than ebola or the bubonic plague). As such, time to envsion the end game of getting the country back to work.

Finally, what also has changed in the MSM is how the pandemic is being framed. On the surface you still see stories being medical/economic focused. But the new framing is increasingly a political one (even on Fox News). This one-two punch (i.e., attempting to scare us into accepting #OrangemanBad because "see how many are infected!" with a "Trump is incompetent" because of the context-less infection numbers) seems far more political than medical. To me, this is a key point in how to process what we're being told and expected to accept about COVID-19.

Again, apologies for the rambling/musing. Just thinking out loud via keyboard....

*The new attack today is that Bush 43 was obsessed about pandemic preparedness after reading John Barry's (1918 Spanish Flu) book in 2005. Then the MSM recites the false claim that Trump defunded the CDC, etc. blah, blah, and blah. Ergo, Trump has blood on his hands. This is a stupid j'accuse: a) it isn't necessarily true at either bookend (Bush or Trump) and b) it skips over what measures Bush and Obama accomplished (or not) and why.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Yooper

Spanish Flu U.S. deaths were estimated to be 675,000. That's bad.
Agreed. And it was interesting that the initial mean estimate for COVID-19 was about 630k IIRC (max: 2.2 million, min: 400k). Very similar to the Spanish Flu.

But now we are being told 120-240k deaths. That would put COVID-19 2-4x worse than seasonal flu rather than 10-20x worse. Still a bunch of deaths,, but honestly not unacceptable from an actuarial perspective. Certainly not enough to shut down the economy for much longer.

--- End of line (MCP)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If they want to shut down all the states just have the media show up. They seem to drag it everywhere they go. If they were following the quarantine protocols many of the networks should have shut down. When Chris Cuomo supposedly got it, did all his show people involved go into quarantine.? Haven't heard that one.

My comment to Monello about this was that they're all "broadcasting" from their homes, so now instead of one set and one crew, they have multiple sets with multiple crews. You know damn well they aren't doing their own lighting and makeup and filming.

I can't think of how that makes any sense.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So I'm slowly switching over to the "it's not so bad" view because the MSM has changed its narrative. What I mean by this is that the MSM has moved from "numbers of deaths" (an important statistic) to "numbers infected" (a more "click-baity" number, but lacks critical context).
<snip>

Finally, what also has changed in the MSM is how the pandemic is being framed. On the surface you still see stories being medical/economic focused. But the new framing is increasingly a political one (even on Fox News). This one-two punch (i.e., attempting to scare us into accepting #OrangemanBad because "see how many are infected!" with a "Trump is incompetent" because of the context-less infection numbers) seems far more political than medical. To me, this is a key point in how to process what we're being told and expected to accept about COVID-19.

I think any reasonable person should have been able to see that rather quickly. They've been keening all along about numbers of infection without saying whether or not those people showed symptoms or got sick. Nobody can get tested, yet half of Hollywood has been declared positive for infection - how does that work?

The Deep State got what it wanted. We'll be going into the 2020 election with the Democrats going, "So much for that brilliant Trump economy." And he has to be scared shitless because it probably never occurred to him that these people would destroy the whole country to try and take him down.

This is what they did instead of having him assassinated by some "lone nut".

And perhaps you think I'm a lone nut for expressing this theory, but I've got a lot of evidence on my side.

And PS, that Fauci person has GOT to go. He's enjoying his celebrity way too much and I find him so arrogant and asinine that I can't even watch him anymore. Here's his latest:

He's the worst fearmonger out there and I have no idea who chose his ass to be the virus czar.

Some day someone will write a book that tells us what really happened. I hope I'm still alive for that.

herb749

My comment to Monello about this was that they're all "broadcasting" from their homes, so now instead of one set and one crew, they have multiple sets with multiple crews. You know damn well they aren't doing their own lighting and makeup and filming.

I can't think of how that makes any sense.

Its the parts no one knows about right now. Its also late night TV shooting from their homes. Someone is running that camera and the feeds. I'm looking for stories about them all falling flat without their cheering fans in attendance.

herb749

I think any reasonable person should have been able to see that rather quickly. They've been keening all along about numbers of infection without saying whether or not those people showed symptoms or got sick. Nobody can get tested, yet half of Hollywood has been declared positive for infection - how does that work?

The Deep State got what it wanted. We'll be going into the 2020 election with the Democrats going, "So much for that brilliant Trump economy." And he has to be scared shitless because it probably never occurred to him that these people would destroy the whole country to try and take him down.

This is what they did instead of having him assassinated by some "lone nut".

And perhaps you think I'm a lone nut for expressing this theory, but I've got a lot of evidence on my side.

And PS, that Fauci person has GOT to go. He's enjoying his celebrity way too much and I find him so arrogant and asinine that I can't even watch him anymore. Here's his latest:

He's the worst fearmonger out there and I have no idea who chose his ass to be the virus czar.

Some day someone will write a book that tells us what really happened. I hope I'm still alive for that.

I do like how Trump has learned to let them answer questions that the media want him to slip up on. They get so frustrated they ask it 3 times.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I can't help but wonder if the "two hands" (see, paragraph above) aren't contradictory. Is it possible that Trump is "leading and pacing" to juggle the opposing views (i.e., "it's bad" and "it's nothing") to get us thru this week with the goal of easing up restrictions on/about Easter (as he promised a couple of weeks back). This would be masterful; addressing the concerns of the opposing views and taking the political advantage away from those who are using COVID-19 as a political weapon against him.

And this:

In other words, Trump had to do something (especially IF the virus was as bad as initially reported). But he didn't have to go overboard. And that's what I keep seeing from his daily pressers: that he resists going fill-on dictator.

--- End of line (MCP)
I tend to agree with these thoughts. :yay:

Of course, I tend to change those thoughts daily. :lol: :rolleyes:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Every state is unique in so many ways a federal mandate makes no sense. Even from the start it should be left to the state level government to have a disaster plan and act accordingly based on how the threat (whatever it may be) measures.

Trump has been saying that from the start and says it again in every press conference. I think he is biting at the bit for the federal level to begin a stand down. Each state would then continue to govern their own state's situation.

I am intrigued at the idea of Trump having this planned out.
Me, too.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I know you all read the new CDC guidelines re: reporting Wuhan/Chinese Flu deaths? It says basically that If a patient dies from a respiratory issue, assume the bat soup sickness as the cause. Case in point, the infant in CT that had tested positive died from suffocation in a co sleeping scenario. The cause of death was listed covid related.

Last edited: