Smow?

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Not long after I moved here we had 2 good snow storms around Thanksgiving. I think total was over 14". Good times. 1987 maybe?

1987 was the Veteran's Day storm, the prediction was for a dusting to 2" and we got around a foot or so. Schools and the government went in and when rush hour was about half over schools were cancelled and the Feds already in were sent home. Since SHA wasn't ready for the storm, because of the forecast, the roads were a cluster####. A lot of kids in Prince George's had to stay the night at the schools, the buses couldn't get to the buildings.

I think the year we had the Thanksgiving storm was maybe 1988. Shoveled about 8 or 10 inches of snow of the pontoon boat's deck so we could get out on the Bay to hunt sea ducks. That year we got a bunch of snow but it always hit in Friday night or Saturday and things were cleaned up by Monday.

1987 was the Veteran's Day storm, the prediction was for a dusting to 2" and we got around a foot or so. Schools and the government went in and when rush hour was about half over schools were cancelled and the Feds already in were sent home. Since SHA wasn't ready for the storm, because of the forecast, the roads were a cluster####. A lot of kids in Prince George's had to stay the night at the schools, the buses couldn't get to the buildings.

I think the year we had the Thanksgiving storm was maybe 1988. Shoveled about 8 or 10 inches of snow of the pontoon boat's deck so we could get out on the Bay to hunt sea ducks. That year we got a bunch of snow but it always hit in Friday night or Saturday and things were cleaned up by Monday.

Thanks, all I remember is we had two hit a couple days apart. Back then I had my '70 Blazer and I was the only one getting out of my neighborhood.

Thanks, all I remember is we had two hit a couple days apart. Back then I had my '70 Blazer and I was the only one getting out of my neighborhood.

Should have kept that sucker. I could afford to fix it up now. Engine was good, drive train falling apart.

Caution

'79 was the worst I remember. I lived in Dunkirk at the time. We lived right on Rt.4 and it was two days before we saw ANYTHING trying to plow Rt.4. The first thing we saw come down through there was a Jeep with a plow on it.:whistle: Did not see anything from SHA until the next day.

Washington D.C.’s top 5 surprise snowstorms - Capital Weather Gang - The Washington Post

"A surprise snowfall of 18.7” on February 18-19, 1979 gave Washington its third largest snowstorm on record. Initially, the forecasts called for either 1-3” or 4-8” of snow in Washington. Source: Washington Weather"

Attachments

• bliz_79.gif
    bliz_79.gif
    163.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
SMOW - you mean single mothers on welfare? Are there enough to prevent getting to work? Making the streets un-passable? Aren't they always in season???

b23hqb

PREMO Member
SMOW is my word.

Ok. Late fall. The weather turns colder to the north. I grew up in snow. What is the big deal with snow other than it will melt in a few days in MD?

MD is not MN or anywhere further west on the same latitude as MN, where the first snow does not melt until April.

What's the big deal?

RPMDAD

Starting my anti-snow dance now.

Larry1275, SMOW = Southern Maryland Snow SMOW.

Resuming anti snow/smow dance now.