Snakehead caught right at Buzz's Marina dock

shilo

This week we were just hanging around the dock with friends and one of them noticed the snakehead. We managed to get it. It measured 24 inches and weighed 4.5lbs. Given the spread of these things, the only thing remarkable about it is that they are not supposed to be in salt water. St. Jerome's creek is not fed by fresh water anywhere. This is discouraging. We have a feeling it is not the only one, given its size. We did report it to DNR and they said it is the first reported one in the creek. I would be interested to know if anyone else has caught one and perhaps just not reported it.

shilo

I meant to post pictures, sorry.

Attachments

• 5-1 023 (2).jpg
    5-1 023 (2).jpg
    36 KB · Views: 328
  • 5-1 008 (2).jpg
    5-1 008 (2).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 277

royhobie

hobieflyer
This week we were just hanging around the dock with friends and one of them noticed the snakehead. We managed to get it. It measured 24 inches and weighed 4.5lbs. Given the spread of these things, the only thing remarkable about it is that they are not supposed to be in salt water. St. Jerome's creek is not fed by fresh water anywhere. This is discouraging. We have a feeling it is not the only one, given its size. We did report it to DNR and they said it is the first reported one in the creek. I would be interested to know if anyone else has caught one and perhaps just not reported it.

There are quite a few of them in the Creek. They were there last year as well. Two DNR officers spotted the snakeheads themselves near the surface while on patrol near the mouth of St. Jeromes. Not sure why DNR told you they weren't there last year, unless the officers didn't report the citing last year. I expect they will greatly reduce the crabbing, eeling and rockfish. They are heavy eaters.

The thought that they can not adopt to salt water seems to be B.S. In order to get to St. Jeromes they have to come around the Potomac in the Bay and travel up the Bay some.

DNR does want any snakehead killed and not returned to any part of the water.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
There are quite a few of them in the Creek. They were there last year as well. Two DNR officers spotted the snakeheads themselves near the surface while on patrol near the mouth of St. Jeromes. Not sure why DNR told you they weren't there last year, unless the officers didn't report the citing last year. I expect they will greatly reduce the crabbing, eeling and rockfish. They are heavy eaters.

The thought that they can not adopt to salt water seems to be B.S. In order to get to St. Jeromes they have to come around the Potomac in the Bay and travel up the Bay some.

So we need to throw them back alive?

shilo

Thanks. We were thinking that ourselves and I don't know why they would tell me that either. For one to be so large you would think there would be more. One of my customers told me yesterday that last year he was getting minnows out of my trap and there was a baby snakehead in with them and he just didn't think to mention it. He is from Charles County and they are common there now. What DNR told me was that in the high salinity tanks they have, the fish don't do AS WELL or live as long. He said they can live for some time though while they are searching for fresher water.

red_explorer

Killed

They are supposed to be killed. The video of that snakehead at Buzzys is incredible!!! It was on WUSA earlier in the week, and there are several other threads about it. Good job, people!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America

This hurt my eyes to read. the spelling and grammar are atrocious!

First of all it's "sighting" not citing :duh:
It's "adapt" not adopt. :duh:
It's Jerome's. :duh:

corollinout

I talked to a DNR agent today and the only way snake heads survive salt water, is if there is a lot of rain that can bring a salinity down in a fishery for enough time for them to find the freshwater creeks.